Softball

Winning hurt our BA and fielding percentage. In the World Series, we were only 42 of 160 for ra 263 BA. That caused us to fall to #2 behind Oregon who lost and got out of the pitching-rich series. OU did not have even one double in the World Series. We hit 6 home runs and a triple, but we had no extra base hits in the finale. As a team, OU had ten strikeouts against Alabama and seven against Michigan. After that, OU only struck out five times in four games. We struck out 22 times and walked 22 times.

Erin Miller was four for twenty-two with no extra base hits. She struck out six times and walked once. She did have a key two-run single against LSU. Hit 182.

Caleigh Clifton was 4 for 17 (235). She also had no extra base hits. She struck out four times and walked four times.

Shay Knighten was 9 for 19 (474), going 0 for 3 in her last three at bats (the lost HR). She had two home runs and 8 rbis. She struck out three times and walked twice. Hitting MVP?

Sydney Romero was only 5 for 18 (278). But, her two home runs did result in four of her five rbis. She walked twice.

Fale Aviu was also 5 for 18 (278) like Sydney. She closed with hits in each of the last four games and two in the finale, driving in the winning run of the CWS. She had 3 rbis. Struck out twice, walked twice.

Nicole Pendley was only 3 of 17 (176). But, she had a triple and a home run. for two rbis. She had four walks and one strikeout.

Kady Self was 6 for 17 (353). She had one home run and 3 rbis. Walked and struck out four times.
Lea Wodach was 3 for 19 (158). She struck out once and walked once.

Kelsey Arnold was 3 for 12 (250). She struck out twice, walked twice, and was hit by pitch once.

We finished second in hitting and fielding.

Last edited:
Winning hurt our BA and fielding percentage. In the World Series, we were only 42 of 160 for ra 263 BA. That caused us to fall to #2 behind Oregon who lost and got out of the pitching-rich series. OU did not have even one double in the World Series. We hit 6 home runs and a triple, but we had no extra base hits in the finale. As a team, OU had ten strikeouts against Alabama and seven against Michigan. After that, OU only struck out five times in four games. We struck out 22 times and walked 22 times.

Erin Miller was four for twenty-two with no extra base hits. She struck out six times and walked once. She did have a key two-run single against LSU. Hit 182.

Caleigh Clifton was 4 for 17 (235). She also had no extra base hits. She struck out four times and walked four times.

Shay Knighten was 9 for 19 (474), going 0 for 3 in her last three at bats (the lost HR). She had two home runs and 8 rbis. She struck out three times and walked twice. Hitting MVP?

Sydney Romero was only 5 for 18 (278). But, her two home runs did result in four of her five rbis. She walked twice.

Fale Aviu was also 5 for 18 (278) like Sydney. She closed with hits in each of the last four games and two in the finale, driving in the winning run of the CWS. She had 3 rbis. Struck out twice, walked twice.

Nicole Pendley was only 3 of 17 (176). But, she had a triple and a home run. for two rbis. She had four walks and one strikeout.

Kady Self was 6 for 17 (353). She had one home run and 3 rbis. Walked and struck out four times.

Kelsey Arnold was 3 for 12 (250). She struck out twice, walked twice, and was hit by pitch once.

I think a lot of that was due to teams we played in WCWS. Alabama, Michigan, LSU and 3 games with Auburn. Can't get much tougher than that. I also think in the championship series, they began to feel a little of the pressure. But they fought through it to come out with NC.

I also noticed in bios of future Sooners coming in next fall that almost everyone Patty said she loved how they "won championships". I think she'd almost have a player who has won championships versus a little higher ranking that had not won championships. And I've heard her say that before in previous classes. I think that is her key, knowing how to win championships already before they reach campus.

Who cares? We won the national championship - Auburn dominated the stats in the WCWS - I wonder how happy they are today.

Who cares? We won the national championship - Auburn dominated the stats in the WCWS - I wonder how happy they are today.
I care. I find it interesting that we had no real busts. We didn't hit 359 like before the tournament. But, we hit well enough, and we didn't collapse against good pitching. Some teams just couldn't handle the pressure at all. They didn't hit or pitch.

Our worst hitter made contributions. The hits that Wodach got were helpful in turning the lineup over, and she was a part of the scoring. Miller and Pendley didn't hit for average. But, Miller had a key two-run single, and Pendley had a key home run and a key triple. We didn't have a bunch of people who were 0 for 20 with ten strikeouts. Everyone made some contribution. Clifton didn't start well. But, she kept getting on base forcing them to pitch to Shay, and Shay was hot.

Shay had some of the best focus that I have seen in this type of series. She was difficult to fool, and she seemed to make up for any deficiency in the next at bat. Her singles were almost as valuable as her home runs. I think she got four rbis off of each.

If I were to prepare the team for the CWS next year, I would show them this. This won. Only one star. But, everyone made something happen. It doesn't take superstar action to win a series. It takes making something happen with each at bat.

I'll always believe that pitching and defense are the the biggest keys to winning in softball and baseball. In the WCWS, we had both of those and Auburn had just one of the two (I know they believe otherwise). The Tigers repeatedly opened the door to OU rallies because they couldn't field the ball cleanly. They sometimes made spectacular plays but they often could not make the routine plays.

We all know the Sooners are also a great hitting team, but they obviously didn't hit that well in the WCWS. And much of the credit for that has to go to the Auburn pitchers. But again, a team doesn't have to have big power numbers or a high batting average to win consistently, even against a great opponent.

The Sooners are National Champions because they are better, or at least more consistent than Auburn, in most phases of the game.

Re: Softball - CELEBRATON

Patty made it clear in the press conference that we were tired. Legs were tired and thus we couldnt get into the pitches as we had been doing. With such a young team I dont wonder. They'll be a year more mature next year and their bodies more prepared to endure a season of hard work.

I'll always believe that pitching and defense are the the biggest keys to winning in softball and baseball. In the WCWS, we had both of those and Auburn had just one of the two (I know they believe otherwise). The Tigers repeatedly opened the door to OU rallies because they couldn't field the ball cleanly. They sometimes made spectacular plays but they often could not make the routine plays.

We all know the Sooners are also a great hitting team, but they obviously didn't hit that well in the WCWS. And much of the credit for that has to go to the Auburn pitchers. But again, a team doesn't have to have big power numbers or a high batting average to win consistently, even against a great opponent.

The Sooners are National Champions because they are better, or at least more consistent than Auburn, in most phases of the game.

When the season began, I didn't see the ability to replace Pendley and Chamberlain who were big hitters, even against good competition. Lauren had hit home runs in the World Series in key situations. I didn't see who would lead this team. It really had to be a freshman.

We didn't really hit great in the College World Series, although I don't know that any other team in the CWS hit better than 263, our average. But, what really stood out is the performance of the four freshmen. While our team had a 263 average, the freshmen hit 319. Our four freshmen also got four of the six home runs that our team hit, as well as 15 rbis (we scored 29 runs). The freshmen rose up.

Other teams were counting on their seniors to key their hitting and their wins. Auburn was all about Howard, Corasone, and Rhodes. They all graduated. Michigan lost their two key stars at the top of their lineup. Bama lost that sensational leadoff hitter.

But, the focus of our team will be here another three years. It was our freshmen against their seniors, and our freshmen won. Most of the top pitchers will be back next year. Paige showed that she is #1. But, Hoover is back at LSU, and Osorio is back at Bama. Florida keeps all three of their key starters. Auburn will keep their two best. Oregon loses their star. But, a lot of the top hitters are gone. Our top stars will be back. They showed that they can handle the pressure of the CWS.

Since Caleigh is an athlete, I would not be surprised to see her improve. Aviu didn't hit with power late, but she did become difficult to strike out. She had two singles, including the one that drove in the deciding run of the World Series. She made it 2-0. Romero and Knighten---how high can they rise? Knighten has a great focus, like she is ready to pounce on a pitch if you throw it. I can see 70 home runs out of her.

Now that Wodach has adjusted to catching, will her hitting return? She was deadly before going behind the plate. Arnold will forever be Arnold, the best glove in the Big Twelve. That infield will be sensational on defense for the next two years.

The kids didn't back off when the playoffs began. Romero hit four home runs in the NCAA tournament, six the rest of the year. They stepped up. Pressure? It seems that the core of this team, the freshmen and Paige, didn't feel the pressure.

Personally I thought a seldom mentioned job of calling the pitches was done by Melyssia Lombardi. But last night she kept Auburn off balance. I liked how she focused on the curve, backdoor curve and change/drop early in the game and brought the rise ball more into Paige's repertoire from the 4th/5th inning on helping Paige get the last 12 hitters out.

I am often amazed how little Paige is hit hard as much as keeps the all in the zone or on the close edge. Melyssa really knows how to call a game changing pitches, speed and location with the best of them.

I thought the strike zone was just minimally taller last night with Paige getting at most an inch or two at the top and bottom of the zone and she took maximum advantage of that additional target space.

Last edited:

2019 catcher committed to OU back in November, sounds like a tremendous get! Physically gifted batter and an amazing catcher. Good stuff!

Meet the No. 1 player in the 2019 Hot 100

On Friday, FloSoftball revealed our Top 10 players in the 2019’s Hot 100 rankings. For the first time since we started rating prospects—the 2014 class led by Oregon standout infielder Jenna Lilley—we have a catcher atop the list.

And to be No. 1 in a very strong year for backstops means you must be a pretty good catcher.

Kinzie Hansen, a freshman at Norco (Calif.) High, is that good but what’s surprising is she’s only been in catcher gear now for a little over three years.

And more astounding, when she first tried the position she hated it.

“When I was between 10 ½ to 11 years old,” she recalls, “a family friend who was a coach told me to put on the gear. I asked, ‘What gear?’ I was put in front of a pitching machine and I could not catch one ball. I told myself, ‘I’ll never be a catcher; I’ll be anything but a catcher!’ I was so scared of the ball coming right at me!”

Fortunately, it wasn’t too long before Hansen felt at ease in the gear and she grew to love being in on every pitch and in every play.

“I soon got hooked and never wanted to take the gear off,” she laughs now. “Being a catcher is one of the most important spots on the field and I loved that I had control of the game.”

Kinzie started off playing rec softball when she was eight years old and because she had the strongest arm at third. Eventually, being the tallest of her age group, she was pushed over to first.

Today, the nearly 6-foot tall freshman is preparing for the softball season at Norco High, perennially one of the top high school programs in Southern California. Coached by Rick Robinson, the Cougars went 27-8 last season and won the CIF-Southern Section Div. I championship. The team was led by current Tennessee freshman catcher Abby Lockman, who was one of the nation’s top power hitters her senior season.

With Lockman now in the SEC, Hansen looks to be the heir apparent to continue Norco’s success.

“I’m working really hard,” she says of anticipating her first high school campaign, “and I know I have to earn my spot on the team. If I make it, I’ll be filling the big shoes that Abby left.”

Fortunately, Norco has one of the top pitchers in the West returning as junior Taylor Dawkins, a Cal State Fullerton commit, will keep the Cougars competitive in every game.

After Hansen’s admittedly rough start behind the plate, she’s blossomed in just a short time span to become one of the most talented and coveted catchers in the nation at the club level.

As a first year 12U player, she caught the eye of one of the top club coaches in the country, David Mercado, and made his So Cal Athletics team. Two years ago, in the team’s second year at 12U, the A’s won the prestigious PGF Nationals.

Remembering the exciting win over the DirecTV Genies, Kinzie says, “I thought I caught pretty well that game although one girl stole on me. I was disappointed, sure, but I picked her off so that was good!”

Coach Mercado knows he has a special player who will be a key component on the A’s team considered a favorite to make a title run this summer.

Kinzie has it all. She’s naturally a leader and her athletic ability is off the charts. She’s one of the best—if not the best—I’ve ever seen. Everything she does is above par.

If her strong week in Huntington Beach in 2014 put her on the recruiting map, a standout performance at the OnDeck West Coast Elite Camp in October of that year brought the world of college coaches to her door.

“That was a big step for me,” the tall, lean catcher remembers. “A lot of exposure for me came from that camp and I felt all the hard work I had put in paid off.”

More than 15 major programs came hard after Kinzie that fall including Patty Gasso and her Oklahoma Sooner staff. The coaches asked the eighth grader to visit the Norman campus for a camp and she did, tripping to the Big 12 school at the end of October/early November 2014

“It was the end of autumn,” Hansen explains, “and was so beautiful with the leaves turning, but it was cold. They offered me after the last day of the camp, they kept me afterwards and talked to me and my parents.”

Kinzie didn’t commit on that trip, but two weeks later—“it was November 14, 2014, I’ll never forget that date”—she called the coaches and told them she wanted to be a Sooner.

“It was just a feeling,” she responds upon being asked why Oklahoma. "Actually, before the plane landed on that trip I had a feeling deep down in my heart that this was where I was supposed to be. We toured the campus and it instantly felt like home. I loved the coaching staff and everything just felt right.”

One of the key elements to Kinzie’s rapid growth and development as a catcher has been her working out with Jen Schroeder, the head of The Packaged Deal which runs camps and clinics for young fastpitch athletes. Schroeder was a catcher at UCLA and has worked with hundreds, if not thousands of catchers and knew almost instantly that Kinzie was a diamond in the rough.

“Two years ago when you asked me if I had any input on the top 2017 catchers I answered yes, but I also already know who your top 2019 is in the country is. You thought I was kidding… I was serious! It is Kinzie.”

Kinzie is the hardest working catcher in the country. She takes her weaknesses and works on them and does not stop working and tweaking until they're right. Her competitiveness drives her greatness, but she's also tenacious, yet humble.

“She's a physical specimen, almost 6-foot already, and growing more every day. Her knee throws are the best I've ever seen for someone her age and I have frequently clocked her at a 1.6 and below pop time.”

“But, my favorite part about Kinzie is her ability to make those around her better, me included. I've worked with some incredible catchers, but Kinzie Hansen is in a league of her own.”

Kinzie underscores the value Schroeder has brought to her life on and off the field.

“Jen has made a huge impact on my life, not just athletic life, but personally in the way I walk and talk. She has taught me to be the leader off the field and to have confidence and to hold my head up high. And to grow as an athlete.”

On Friday morning, Kinzie woke up feeling miserable from a developing head cold. Still, as her mother shot video on a cell phone, the freshman looked up the last installment of the 2019 Hot 100 and scanned down the list to find her name at No. 1.

Silently, her eyes welled up with tears and a wave of emotion swept over her.

“It’s been my goal for two years to be in the Top 10,” she had said Thursday night only knowing that she made the last day’s list of honorees. “To accomplish that goal is awesome because it shows my hard work has paid off, but whether I’m No. 10 or No. 1 it’s still a motivation to me.”

So how did her feelings change after reading the final list?

“It’s unbelievable, I’m still processing it” she said at home feeling miserable, but hoping she’d feel up to going to school later in the day. “But I know that now I have a target on my back and that everyone will be watching me to see if I’m worthy to considered No. 1. Sure it’s pressure, but I love the pressure of being in the spotlight. That’s what being a catcher is all about and what I love about playing the position.”

I've been curious about something that Chris Plank mentioned on the radio postgame last night. He said he wanted to explain what it means when the players in the dugout are holding their hands up, but he also said he might get too emotional if he started telling about it on the air. So I'm curious if anyone knows the story.

Speaking of emotional, I did feel bad for the Auburn pinch hitter who broke down after she made the final out of the game. I wouldn't have felt bad at all had it been either of their infielders (2B and 1B), and whichever Auburn player spiked Romero in the second inning, though. Their second baseman really rubbed me the wrong way, and so did their coach's incessant griping. I half-expected him to whine in the media room about having to play OU in OKC three times. That'd be a typical SEC move in my book.

I've been curious about something that Chris Plank mentioned on the radio postgame last night. He said he wanted to explain what it means when the players in the dugout are holding their hands up, but he also said he might get too emotional if he started telling about it on the air. So I'm curious if anyone knows the story.

Speaking of emotional, I did feel bad for the Auburn pinch hitter who broke down after she made the final out of the game. I wouldn't have felt bad at all had it been either of their infielders (2B and 1B), and whichever Auburn player spiked Romero in the second inning, though. Their second baseman really rubbed me the wrong way, and so did their coach's incessant griping. I half-expected him to whine in the media room about having to play OU in OKC three times. That'd be a typical SEC move in my book.

May be wrong but I think the spiking incident was done by an LSU player. Nothing wrong with the aggressive slide by Auburn player at 3rd Wednesday. She slid directly at the base while in the baseline which is exactly what she is supposed to do. Were she to not slide she could have been hit in the head by Romero. Sydney is going to have to learn how to protect herself in those situations.

While as opposing fans i can understand our exasperations at Clint Myers discussions with the umps we must remember Clint is merely trying to give his tigers whatever edge he can give them. His record of 2 baseball JC national championships, 6 softball JC national championships, 2 WCWS championships at ASU and 9 WCWS appearance in 11 seasons confirms he knows how to win championships. The last of his concerns is what OU fans think.

Politcal correctness has no place on the field of competition. One needs to compete respectfully hard and to the best of their ability. It is best to be gracious in defeat and in the end the tigers were. Monday night they lost a game but had yet to be beaten. They were in a competitive mode and their focus was to maximize that edge. I would have preferred to have seen them have a little less edge but fully understand their approach.

It seems to me OU fans are making a big ado about nothing. PC has already done enough damage to our culture without our promoting more of the same. A little honesty about ones beliefs never hurt anyone except those wanting more respect than they earned at the time.

Also he has had multiple years of outstanding team academic performance finishing in the top 10 on national APR. You should also note the long embrace Patty and Clint had post game Wednesday night. It was definitely a greeting among friends.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/coach_myers.html

Last edited:
OU signee Vanessa Taukeiaho OF was he only OU signee to make the 32016 All-USA softball team omitting pitchers Mariah Lopez, Melanie Olmost, OF/P Nicole Mendes. There were 19 pitchers listed on the first team, second team and honorable mention list. Infielder Alissa Dalton was not on the team either.

Taukeiaho hit 20 HR's, scored 54 runs and had 56 RBI's in 32 games. Her SLG% was 1.430.

None of the top schools had more than one signee except Oregon (1 first team, 1 second team and 2 HM) and Alabama (1 first team and 2 HM) and UCLA (1 first team and 1 second team). OU, Oregon, Auburn, Alabama, UCLA, Michigan, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Cal and Harding had first team picks. Oregon, Florida, LSU, Texas, Baylor, aTm, Boston College, Wisconsin, UCLA and South Carolina had second team picks.

'
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/2016-american-family-insurance-all-usa-softball-teams#slideIdslide-9

Last edited:
Fans Invited to Public Celebration Friday

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211007523&DB_OEM_ID=31000

NORMAN -- The Oklahoma Softball team invites fans to celebrate its third national title Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Marita Hynes Field. Gates will open at 6:30 p.m. and admission is free to this event.

The Sooners captured the program’s third national title Wednesday with a 2-1 victory over Auburn in game three of the 2016 Women's College World Series Championship Series.

Fans will hear from head coach Patty Gasso and members of the team, while a fireworks show and autographs will follow the event. National championship merchandise will be available for sale, and the first 1,000 fans will receive a commemorative photo.

I absolutely agree. Anything that even remotely smacks of pc sets my teeth on edge. The Auburn coach and team's reaction to game 3 seemed natural and normal. They were as disappointed as we would have been and not at all disrespectful. I'm not much interested in people who are not gracious winners.

I absolutely agree. Anything that even remotely smacks of pc sets my teeth on edge. The Auburn coach and team's reaction to game 3 seemed natural and normal. They were as disappointed as we would have been and not at all disrespectful. I'm not much interested in people who are not gracious winners.

There is a difference between a statement being 'PC' and responding to a situation with class.

For certain a coach and his players should always be respectful of their opponents. When the series was over and they were defeated the tigers were appropriately respectful.

Where the heck does all this "politically correct" talk come from?

Are we saying that Auburn was PC because they talked smack, or that OU fans were PC for not liking it? Someone help me out with this. :confused:

FYI: In my opinion, the current culture of political correctness presents a bigger danger to our way of life than thermonuclear warfare.

For certain a coach and his players should always be respectful of their opponents. When the series was over and they were defeated the tigers were appropriately respectful.

Sounds like you are saying it's OK to be disrespectful after the 1st and 2nd game of a series but it's not OK to be disrespectful after the 3rd game.

Back