Softball

scrybe,
yeah i'd have to subscribe to flosoftball to get a better idea.
But it certainly appears that those ridiculous early verbals from Elite kids like
Brooke Vestal (verbaled to OU at age of 14 I think) are holding.
Obviously, the 13/16 titles are going to make OU a juggernaut in recruiting even moreso.
i'm guessing Patty only loses one or two kids out of the 12 or so kids currently verballed
out to class 2020.
If I had access to a Rivals like Database it would be easy to track.

I think you are off base, Atlanta. It's very likely that OU won't lose any of the verbals. I have been following recruiting somewhat since Chamberlain's sophomore year in high school. OU hasn't lost any since then.
The prominent D-1 schools rarely lose verbals unless an offer is pulled. OU hasn't been known to do that.
Some players have transferred after spending a year or two at OU, but no verbals have fallen through.

sunny,
You might be right. I've admittedly not looked at the numbers in depth at all. I was just saying one or two to account for natural recruiting attrition; injuries, academics, off the field stuff (family issues forcing a recruit to stay closer to home) which happens normally over the course of a five year time period.
But I'll certainly defer to anyone tracking it longer or more in depth.

I will say you'd think that Patty/OU might receive a recruiting bump from this second title. Romero and Knighten seem like Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi type players that just attract other great players.
But from a glance that looks unlikely, due to how GOOD recruiting is right now and 4 years out. There's very little room to improve. And that's amazing.

sunny,
You might be right. I've admittedly not looked at the numbers in depth at all. I was just saying one or two to account for natural recruiting attrition; injuries, academics, off the field stuff (family issues forcing a recruit to stay closer to home) which happens normally over the course of a five year time period.
But I'll certainly defer to anyone tracking it longer or more in depth.

I will say you'd think that Patty/OU might receive a recruiting bump from this second title. Romero and Knighten seem like Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi type players that just attract other great players.
But from a glance that looks unlikely, due to how GOOD recruiting is right now and 4 years out. There's very little room to improve. And that's amazing.

That sounds reasonable to me.

I think you are off base, Atlanta. It's very likely that OU won't lose any of the verbals. I have been following recruiting somewhat since Chamberlain's sophomore year in high school. OU hasn't lost any since then.
The prominent D-1 schools rarely lose verbals unless an offer is pulled. OU hasn't been known to do that.
Some players have transferred after spending a year or two at OU, but no verbals have fallen through.

I think this is due to softball not having "money" involved like in football, men's basketball and I think, beginning in women's basketball. Especially, with AAU in basketball, the coaches are requesting "favors" for directing players to certain schools/coaches and I think we've seen this happen. There's not yet enough money in softball to encourage club team coaches to have the power to request "favors" from schools/coaches and I hope that never happens. It's beginning to affect women's basketball and fortunately some coaches are determined not to wallow in the mud. Some are not.

I think this is due to softball not having "money" involved like in football, men's basketball and I think, beginning in women's basketball. Especially, with AAU in basketball, the coaches are requesting "favors" for directing players to certain schools/coaches and I think we've seen this happen. There's not yet enough money in softball to encourage club team coaches to have the power to request "favors" from schools/coaches and I hope that never happens. It's beginning to affect women's basketball and fortunately some coaches are determined not to wallow in the mud. Some are not.

A lot of truth in this. The AAU coaches in basketball seem to be the new "booster" with regards to influencing recruits.

There is another thing to consider. A thirteen-year-old girl is quite different from the thirteen-year-old boy. A lot of the teaching has been to group acceptance. The boy is often involved in male ego. Whichever school appeals most to his ego at a given time will likely receive a commitment, until a more attractive school comes along. The girl is more likely to remain committed because it was for different reasons. She committed to a group.

As AAU coaches have become involved, they have instilled more of the problems of male ego into girl's basketball..

I think tycat947 is right. If you are looking for unethical conduct then follow the money. I think that as softball gets more popular and more popular then tv money will follow and we will see the beginnings of the sewer that is aau basketball, etc. I just hope that such will take a long, long time. It's too much to hope that the gutless, ignorant(cant find the dots, stupid(if it found the dots wouldnt know how to connect them)ncaa would do anything significant.

Last edited:
http://www.normantranscript.com/spo...cle_3f2fe880-4395-5397-9913-37eac90804bd.html

All three coaches who won national championships this spring (softball coach Patty Gasso, men’s gymnastics coach Mark Williams and women’s gymnastics coach K.J. Kindler), along with their assistants, received raises.

Gasso, who claimed the softball program’s third national title earlier this month, will pocket an additional $5,000 per season and her contract was extended through the 2021 season. Gasso made $370,000 this season. That figure does not include bonuses. Under the new deal, her salary will rise by $15,000 per season.

Kindler’s extension and raise runs through the 2022 season. She made $240,000 last season.

Williams’ extension also runs through the 2022 season. He made $226,000 last season. The deal will rise by $15,000 a year over the next six years.

Women’s basketball coach Sherri Coale received an extension through the 2020-21 season. She collected $1.2 million this past season.

All the Sooners’ coaches are paid through athletic department revenue. None of the money comes from taxpayer funds or university subsidies.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure all 3 of these coaches are highest paid in the country for their individual sports.

As best as I can tell, Patty is at least $50K higher than any other coach (I see Tim Walton at $305K and other big name coaches I've searched are quite a bit lower than he is) before bonuses. It is well deserved IMO.

I wouldn't let the gymnastics coaches go either. I think if either leave it will be for national position for their sport (like Fla women's coach) and not leaving for another collegiate team.

Last edited:
Gasso more than a huge salary bump would likely prioritize facility improvements/updates.
Just guessing.

Gasso more than a huge salary bump would likely prioritize facility improvements/updates.
Just guessing.

I would concur and an interview with Joe Castiglione that I heard recently indicates that upgrading Marita Hynes is on the drawing boards. But just as is the case with LNC and Dale Mitchell resources for Marita Hynes is the issue and locating onel or two key donors is the way it is going to happen most quickly. That or wait for a turnaround in the oil industry which would appear to be years away.

Last edited:
Was Patty voted as National COY? I don't think I've seen anywhere. And if not, WHO could have been voted above the job she did this year?

Was Patty voted as National COY? I don't think I've seen anywhere. And if not, WHO could have been voted above the job she did this year?

Don't think it's been announced yet. They have named the NAIA and Div. 3 coaches of the year, if I'm not mistaken.

Finney transfers

June 23, 2016

OXFORD, Miss. - Ole Miss Softball added a key component to the future of the program with the signing of Oklahoma pitcher Brittany Finney, head coach Mike Smith announced Thursday.

Finney will be immediately eligible for the Rebels beginning in the spring of 2017 and have three years of eligibility remaining. The 6-foot right-hander made nine appearances in 2016 for the Sooners, helping the squad to the Women's College World Series Championship.

"We are excited to add Brittany to our team for next year," Smith said. "She will be able to make an immediate impact in our pitching staff. Adding Brittany adds another piece to our puzzle and helps us take one step closer to fulfilling our overall goal to win a national championship. She knows first-hand what it takes to attain one of those, and she will be a huge asset to our pitching staff and the rest of the team with her experience and work ethic to be the best in the country."

The Wichita, Kansas native totaled 18.2 innings in the circle for Oklahoma with a 1.12 ERA. She started four contests for the club that finished the year 53-7 atop the collegiate softball ranks and was the pitcher of decision once earlier in the year.

"After taking a hard look at what I really wanted to accomplish in my collegiate softball career, and meeting with the coaching staff at Ole Miss, the transfer just seemed to make sense," Finney said. "The family atmosphere on the team and the drive, focus and determination of the players and staff really fit with how I feel about the game. To be given the opportunity to join such an outstanding group, and to help Ole Miss Softball as they reach even greater heights is exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm honored to have the opportunity."

Finney struck out 19 and allowed just three earned runs helping to throw four combined shutouts, and held opposing hitters to just a .175 average. In a start against Western Michigan on Feb. 20, she went a season high 3.2 frames with only three hits allowed, and struck out a season high five batters earning the win. She also recorded a save at Iowa State later in the year and overall didn't allow a run in seven of her nine outings.

Re: Finney transfers

WOW! Wonder if Brittany was planning on going to Old Miss before they were here in regional?

DOUBLE WOW! Yes, that is a shocker. Someone on this (or another) board had hinted that Finney might transfer, but I really, really did not expect it to happen this soon, if at all. My only question would be: did the Ole Miss coaching staff approach Brittany during the Norman regional or possibly the WCWS? Or did Finney approach Ole Miss? Of course it might not have gone down that way at all.

Wish her all the luck, but of course we'll just have to beat her and her new team if/when we play them next season.

Edit: You're welcome, tycat.

As I remember it is an NCAA violation for Ole Miss to be the first to contact a player on another team regarding a transfer. If this were not the rule every team could contact any player on any team at any time.

However, if Finney contacts Ole Miss firstr they are required to contact OU and advise on the contact and then can then go after Finney full bore.

Disappointing to see her go. I had hopes she would become the staff closer as Speedy 17 suggested might happen in a earlier post. It appears she really wanted to be a starting pitcher and with Lopez and Olmos coming in to join Parker and Chestnut she did not like her chances in Norman.

Last edited:
As I remember it is an NCAA violation for Ole Miss to be the first to contact a player on another team regarding a transfer. If this were not the rule every team could contact any player on any team at any time.

However, if Finney contacts Ole Miss firstr they are required to contact OU and advise on the contact and then can then go after Finney full bore.

Disappointing to see her go. I had hopes she would become the staff closer as Speedy 17 suggested might happen in a earlier post. It appears she really wanted to be a starting pitcher and with Lopez and Olmos coming in to join Parker and Chestnut she did not like her chances in Norman.

Don't forget this opens a spot because Patty needs a catcher. Ole Miss is fine with me just as long as it is not Baylor or Texas or OSU. She will also be getting a very big ring!!!

Don't forget this opens a spot because Patty needs a catcher. Ole Miss is fine with me just as long as it is not Baylor or Texas or OSU. She will also be getting a very big ring!!!

Berkley Faulkner, who started at Catcher for part of the season at osu and hit a HR vs OU in okc is transferring to OU but from what ive heard she isnt planning on playing softball. Would be a nice addition if they could get her to walk on to give them a backup to Wodach.

Back