Softball

The article talks about her pitch to lefties curving down and out. Crop duster redux?

We got another catcher as well. Welcome to OU, Hannah Sparks!!!

We needed that second catcher.

Tonight and tomorrow night at 6:00, The Pride will be playing against the Scrap Yard Dogs on CBSSN. That is 643 on Uverse. The Scrap Yard Dogs will likely pitch Monica Abbott in one of the two games since neither she nor Keilani pitched in the opening DH yesterday. The Pride swept the DH with Shelby hitting a key HR in each game. She and Lauren seem to be alternating which one hits the HR that wins the game recently.

I have now watched the finals game of the Premier League three times, the one in which Brooke Vestal pitched the Firecrackers Rico to the national championship, 2-0. I think that Brooke was a bit young for this team. I think she could pitch there next year as well, maybe the next two years. I could be wrong on that. I also think Brooke is due in to OU the year that Paige and Paige leave. They won't overlap.

Brooke is pretty tall, and she throws effortlessly. The announcers said that she wasn't an overpowering pitcher. But, she was deceptive in her speed. She seems tall enough to be overpowering. She seems to have excellent control, and she moves the ball all around the plate. She hits both corners quite well, and often keeps it low. But, her favorite strikeout pitch is the rise. Nearly all of the balls that were hit resulted in little popups. Only a couple of balls were stroked hard, one a single to left, the other a long fly to center, about four feet from being a solo shot. That was about the only ball hit further than about sixty feet. Several were pops to the catcher, third, or first. The game ended, appropriately, on a pop to second, right behind the mound.

The Cruisers did threaten twice, both off of walks, a single, and an error. They had two on in the fourth, and loaded the bases in the fifth. Little pops to the catcher got them out of it. Brooke didn't allow a base-runner for the first three innings.

I suspect that she can throw harder. She is an athletic-type pitcher. I think she pitched the last five or six games of the title run for them. It was enough to say that she ran through the national championships and won.

I think she also has a curve, change, and screwball.

I have now watched the finals game of the Premier League three times, the one in which Brooke Vestal pitched the Firecrackers Rico to the national championship, 2-0. I think that Brooke was a bit young for this team. I think she could pitch there next year as well, maybe the next two years. I could be wrong on that. I also think Brooke is due in to OU the year that Paige and Paige leave. They won't overlap.

Brooke is pretty tall, and she throws effortlessly. The announcers said that she wasn't an overpowering pitcher. But, she was deceptive in her speed. She seems tall enough to be overpowering. She seems to have excellent control, and she moves the ball all around the plate. She hits both corners quite well, and often keeps it low. But, her favorite strikeout pitch is the rise. Nearly all of the balls that were hit resulted in little popups. Only a couple of balls were stroked hard, one a single to left, the other a long fly to center, about four feet from being a solo shot. That was about the only ball hit further than about sixty feet. Several were pops to the catcher, third, or first. The game ended, appropriately, on a pop to second, right behind the mound.

The Cruisers did threaten twice, both off of walks, a single, and an error. They had two on in the fourth, and loaded the bases in the fifth. Little pops to the catcher got them out of it. Brooke didn't allow a base-runner for the first three innings.

I suspect that she can throw harder. She is an athletic-type pitcher. I think she pitched the last five or six games of the title run for them. It was enough to say that she ran through the national championships and won.

I think she also has a curve, change, and screwball.

Yes, she is only 16 and is playing up two levels.

OU has commitments from the #1 prospect of 2018, 2019, and 2020.

Brooke Vestal, Kenzie Hanson, and Jayda Coleman---a pitcher, a catcher, and a left-handed shortstop. Still waiting to hear from the #2 of 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw42bft9H5c

The winner, Jocelyn Alo (in the red stripe won 5-4) of the 184 state finals is the latest OU commitment, previously committed to Cal. She is the #9 recruit in the 2017 class, a catcher who can hit with tremendous power.

+1

A very late commitment, it seems. Most commit many years in advance but Jocelyn looks like a keeper for sure!

That gives Patty three of the top 13 players in the country for the 2017 class, according to Flo softball. #4, #9, #13. Incredibly impressive.

Anyone know why Shay Knighten hasn't been playing this fall? She hasn't played in any of the games so far this fall.

Anyone know why Shay Knighten hasn't been playing this fall? She hasn't played in any of the games so far this fall.

knee injury. Affected her this year. Taking some time to recover fully prior to the season.

Of course we don't know how good these teams are going to be but on paper I would say our non-conference schedule is slightly tougher than it was last season.

I actually think this may be a softer schedule. Last year, we had Alabama, UCLA, Washington, Minnesota (twice), Nebraska, Michigan, and BYU. This year, we really have UCLA and BYU back, along with Nebraska and Washington. But, Auburn and Arizona vs Michigan and Alabama? I also thought a bit more of teams like Fullerton last year. Other than those above, this year has some soft spots.

The good news is that as the returning national champion, I don't think we are fighting for a seed.

I actually think this may be a softer schedule. Last year, we had Alabama, UCLA, Washington, Minnesota (twice), Nebraska, Michigan, and BYU. This year, we really have UCLA and BYU back, along with Nebraska and Washington. But, Auburn and Arizona vs Michigan and Alabama? I also thought a bit more of teams like Fullerton last year. Other than those above, this year has some soft spots.

The good news is that as the returning national champion, I don't think we are fighting for a seed.

Cannot really argue whether one opposing team is going to be stronger this year versus last year as each team varies somewhat annually and I am not going to analyze a dozen teams to make that determination. It does appear that we have 14 quality games this year as opposed to 11 last year in the non-conference schedule. It is what it is.

Who knows we may not be as strong this year as last year. That is very dependent on what kind of of year Paige Parker has and what injuries we have in 2017. For example will Knighton be capable of coming back and having the year she had last year. On paper we could be stronger but that is only on paper at the present time.

Shhh! The "SEC, SEC, SEC" may be listening. ;)

Back