Softball

Patty has really altered her non-conference schedule this year versus last year with regard to the Power 5 conference schools see plays. Last season she played 6 games against the B1G (Minnesota-2, Maryland-2, Michigan and Nebraska), 4 games against the Pac 12 (Washington, Oregon State, Utah and UCLA) and 3 games against the SEC (Alabama, Arkansas and Tennessee).

This year she is playing 6 games against the SEC (Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, Tennessee, Arkansas and Missouri), 3 games against the Pac 12 (UCLA, Washington and Arizona) and only 1 against the B1G (Nebraska).

She is playing 3 fewer Power 5 non-conference games (13 vs 10). This year her focus is on the SEC instead of the B1G. Perhaps she sees that as a step up in competition.

I would say Auburn, Tennessee, and Missouri are elite programs from the SEC. All three teams from the Pac are top programs as well. Nebraska seems to be a quality program that is annually a regional or super regional squad. So, IMHO, our seed in the national tournament will be determined by how we do in these games. The Big 12 is so pathetic in softball, it really doesn't matter if we go undefeated in league play or not as long as we are the sole champion. Thoughts?

So far, Alexa Schultz, Eliyah Flores, and Lynnsie Elam have signed. No word on Alo yet.

We all know that Patty has been doing a phenomenal job recruiting in recent years. I decided to do a calculation on which schools were doing the best job of getting top 10 national recruits for the period 2016-2019 to determine where OU's future might be headed.

I used the FloSoftball class ranking and player rankings to make this determination. The results follow:

School--------Top 10 Recruits

OU-----------------7
UCLA--------------4
Alabama----------4
Auburn------------3
Oregon------------3
Tennessee---------2
Michigan----------1
Washington-------1
Florida------------1
Arizona------------1
California---------1
Notre Dame------1

No question on paper Patty is beating her competition in getting top national recruits. Also I was a little surprised with how few top recruits Florida and Arizona were signing/committing with Florida's recent back to back national championships and Arizona/coach Mike Candrea's historical success.

Last edited:
http://www.flosoftball.com/video/10...inzie-hansen-no-1-hot-100-player#.WJZmGfLNPwJ

I'm stealing this from cclift38 of Sooner Times. If you haven't seen Kinzie Hansen, this is a player that may exceed Lauren Chamberlain in effect. She is a good hitter with a lot of power. What is stunning is that this is a 2019 class catcher who is already on a defensive par with our National catcher. She can throw just as well and accurately from her knees as the best we have in the country. She was rated #1 last year and this year, a repeat. But, she is considered so much ahead of a good class that there is really no competition for #1.

ESPNU, Uverse 605 in Dallas. 1:00 PM 2/9

OU vs Auburn.

Look for:

2B Clifton
LR Dalton
DP Aviu
3B Romero
1B Knighten
CF Pendley
C Wodach
RF Hatfield (or Taukeiaho or Rogers or Mendes)
SS Arnold

But, Patti is hesitant to use Paige Parker against Auburn. Seen enough of them. Likely to use Lowary or a freshman (Lopez?).

Auburn has announced they will start Makayla Martin who started game 3 in the WCWS championship series. OU has not announced their starter.

Sooners should start the season better than last year when we opened the season 8-4. We were 6-5 against Power 5 schools coming out of the gates before closing with a 11-1 run against them including 9-1 against the SEC.

tough loss, pitching stats seemed to favor OU except the runs:facepalm

In other games:

BYU 12 Nebraska 1 (5 innings)
Washington 2 Auburn 1 (10 innings)

Today:
11:00 Nebraska vs Oklahoma
2:00 BYU vs Washington
5:00 Auburn vs Nebraska

Mariah Lopez starting against Nebraska. The pre-game show hints at some changes in the starting lineup.

Mariah Lopez starting against Nebraska. The pre-game show hints at some changes in the starting lineup.

Changes exaggerated:

LF Dalton
2B Clifton
DP Aviu
1B Knighten
CF Pendley
3B Romero
RF Hatfield
C Wodach
SS Arnold

P Lopez

QUESTION: Because last year's roster is not in the archives,
I do not know how many freshman pitchers we had last year, but
it looks like there are no sophomore pitchers this year, so have they all
left? I was thinking there were at least three, but only saw a mention about two leaving. So, how many did we have and have they all left?
It seems we had one from Yukon? one from Kansas? and one from California which I thought was supposed to be the really good one. Memory not really clear about this. Thanks for any input.
Finney and Chestnut.

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/roster/12381

Back