Softball

I check this site to see what's being said about the women's basketball and softball. Do not really have anything to add though sometimes ask questions.
I do appreciate this site and those who post.

Was going to ask when the seedings would be announced and realized I could just google it. So as I am sure most of you know, it will be tonight at nine on Espn 2. I am curious if the team will gather at the stadium to watch so fans can watch with them. Just assuming the scoreboard has television and internet access. Anyone know if they did that last year. Haven't found anything mentioned at sooner sports other than the following link about the seedings being announced tonight.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArt..._LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211594523&KEY=
AND my uninformed gut says we get a super regional. Believe it is being pretty optimistic.

I check this site to see what's being said about the women's basketball and softball. Do not really have anything to add though sometimes ask questions.
I do appreciate this site and those who post.

Was going to ask when the seedings would be announced and realized I could just google it. So as I am sure most of you know, it will be tonight at nine on Espn 2. I am curious if the team will gather at the stadium to watch so fans can watch with them. Just assuming the scoreboard has television and internet access. Anyone know if they did that last year. Haven't found anything mentioned at sooner sports other than the following link about the seedings being announced tonight.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArt..._LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211594523&KEY=
AND my uninformed gut says we get a super regional. Believe it is being pretty optimistic.

It was reported that the team will gather at Patty's house.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-captures-big-12-championship/article/5549138

This team responds to challenges, especially as they got health and came together during the last half of the season. I don't think the Tigers are particularly happy to see us before the WCWS. Meanwhile, the Sooners have their goal. We showed plenty of enthusiasm for the challenge. That's the mark of a team that is eager to compete.

I see that OU women softball is hosting its regional, but when are the super regional sites determined?
Or have the supers already been determined? I couldn't find anywhere that showed a bracket?

Never mind, I found a bracket. Looks like if we win our regional we play at #7 Auburn in their super.

Last edited:
We lost by only 1 run to Auburn pre-conference down in Mexico. Our bats were not energized that day like they are now. That was then and this is now - our guys are road warriors. Boomer!

That seeding is mostly the product of a weak weak conference. Losing close games early to good teams hurts when you are in a weak conference even when you win the conference. Losing to good teams late doesn't apparently when you are in the sec- see florida, tenn and aTm. And wow Minnesota fans have the biggest gripe of all. I could see they might not be top 8 but not even top 16 with a 54-3 record?

That seeding is mostly the product of a weak weak conference. Losing close games early to good teams hurts when you are in a weak conference even when you win the conference. Losing to good teams late doesn't apparently when you are in the sec- see florida, tenn and aTm. And wow Minnesota fans have the biggest gripe of all. I could see they might not be top 8 but not even top 16 with a 54-3 record?

There is an irony, we had pretty much the same schedule and performance as last year but the RPI did us in. If you go compare the schedules, they are almost identical. There is no doubt that there is SEC and Pac 12 bias going on. They get more national tv exposure. One thing that was different is that we had that late scheduled tournament at Tennessee last year that made a big difference evidently.

Minnesota did not play anybody all season. However, the puzzling part for them is that they were in the Top 8 for the committee on as #7 on May 3 and #8 on April 22. The question is how could they not be seeded at all after winning every game including the Big Ten Tournament.

Last edited:
Make no mistake, I believe that OU can win it all going to Auburn.

However, I think Patty must return to the non-conference schedule of 2013. It is a necessity of being a member of the Big 12.

There is an irony, we had pretty much the same schedule and performance as last year but the RPI did us in. If you go compare the schedules, they are almost identical. There is no doubt that there is SEC and Pac 12 bias going on. They get more national tv exposure. One thing that was different is that we had that late scheduled tournament at Tennessee last year that made a big difference evidently.

Minnesota did not play anybody all season. However, the puzzling part for them is that they were in the Top 8 for the committee on as #7 on May 3 and #8 on April 22. The question is how could they not be seeded at all after winning every game including the Big Ten Tournament.

Totally agree with almost all of your post, including the part about the SEC/PAC 12 bias. And, yes, it's puzzling (ridiculous, actually) that Minnesota did not receive a national seed. The Gophers did play a pretty weak schedule, but no team in a Power 5 conference goes 54-3 unless they are pretty good (and certainly deserving of a Top 16 seed). There is just absolutely no way the committee can justify that awful slight – or rewarding so many SEC teams with Top 8 (9, actually) seeds.

I must correct one statement, however. By the time OU traveled to Tennessee late last season and beat the Lady Vols 9-0, the Sooners had already climbed to No. 3 in RPI. If the committee was not so biased toward the SEC, that win would have elevated the Sooners to No. 1 or No. 2.

Make no mistake, I believe that OU can win it all going to Auburn.

However, I think Patty must return to the non-conference schedule of 2013. It is a necessity of being a member of the Big 12.

But didn't OU play tough nonconference schedules in both 2016 and 2017? The Sooners were rewarded with a 3-seed last season, but were dropped to a 10-seed this year. Go figure.

And, by the way, I also agree that we can handle Auburn in the Supers (if both teams make it that far). I expect a fair number of "upsets" in the regionals; I believe Minnesota and James Madison could both make noises in their regionals – and I hope they do.

But didn't OU play tough nonconference schedules in both 2016 and 2017? The Sooners were rewarded with a 3-seed last season, but were dropped to a 10-seed this year. Go figure.

I agree with the fact that there was inconsistency between 2016 and 2017. However, the way to eliminate the weak Big 12 is to schedule like Patty did in 2013. Go look at that schedule on Soonersports.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=750355&SPID=127251&DB_OEM_ID=31000&Q_SEASON=2012

It is why that team was probably the greatest of all time. They mowed down everybody. Texas went to the WCWS and were run ruled by OU.

if OU had won vs CAL Poly twice they would be a top 5 seed

You may be right about that, but if you'll review the schedules of this year's Top 8 seeds, you'll find some losses to teams every bit as crappy as Cal Poly.

You may be right about that, but if you'll review the schedules of this year's Top 8 seeds, you'll find some losses to teams every bit as crappy as Cal Poly.

Exactly! I think we have as good a shot as anyone.

Just watching Patty's face last night when being interviewed, I think she was disappointed and was totally going to use this snub as motivation.

Back