Sooner Sitdown with Tiny Gallon >>> OUDaily.com

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

Background

The OU men’s basketball team has a handful of new faces this season, with some major departures and some high profile additions. The biggest of those additions (literally and figuratively) is 6’9, 296-pound freshman forward Keith “Tiny” Gallon.

Gallon, born in Vallejo, Cali., played high school basketball at Oak Hill Academy for two years prior to coming to OU. He attended Humble High School as a freshman and Atascocita High School in Humble, Texas, as a sophomore.

He was a McDonald’s All-American and the Gatorade Virginia High School Player of the Year as a senior.

1) What brought you to OU?

I’ve known Willie [Warren] and Tommy [Mason-Griffin] since I was in 8th grade, so it feels like I’m playing with a family. Coach Capel is probably the best coach I’ve ever seen.

2) What were the main factors in your decision?

I saw the way they let Blake Griffin play last year. They let him have the green light button, and he was also under construction. With the way they let Blake play, I feel like I can do the same thing.

3) Who, outside of yourself, influenced your decision of where to attend college?

My mom. My mom said to make the right choice. I had a lot of other schools on my list, but I feel like I made the right decision coming here.

4) What stood out to you the first time you ever visited Norman and the OU campus?

I’d say the people. The people in this city are really big fans. I like the fans here.

5) What is the biggest difference you have noticed between high school and college?

Intensity. The level of work is up. In high school, being an All-American, I could take my time, but when you get to college, being a high school All-American doesn’t matter so I have to work a little bit harder.

6) What are your expectations, both for this season and the years to come?

I have big shoes to fill, being behind Blake, so I take that as a challenge. But I just want to win. I’m really not worried about numbers and stuff like that. So if I have to come back two, three, or even four years I don’t care. I just want to win.

Other Men’s Basketball Notes:

On Saturday, Jeff Capel announced the signing of Cameron Clark, a 6’6, 185-pound wing man from Sherman High School in Sherman, Texas.

Clark is ranked as the 18th best high school senior in the nation by ESPN.com. Clark averaged 21 points and 7.5 rebounds a game in his senior season.

I really like that kid. I don't know if he'll develop enough to be a 1 and done, but if not, it'll be great to have Tiny for another season.

Back