--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career 61 25.5 8.8 43.7 39.0 62.6 0.4 4.8 0.6 0.5

barry+honore_102508.jpg

Source Link

SU’s Honoré knows what's expected

By PERRYN KEYS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Oct 25, 2008

Leaving home for the first time was tough. Playing against better competition was tough.

But for Southern forward Barry Honoré, the toughest introduction to college basketball might have been the early-morning sprints.

“Conditioning,” said Honoré, now a 6-foot-7, 230-pound sophomore.

“Conditioning was something I had never done. That was the hardest transition to make from high school. We were getting up at 5, going to the track, running at 5:30, then lifting weights before classes. Where I came from, I was just used to practice.”

If Honoré had a tough time adjusting to the college game, he seemed hide it well.

Sure, the Jaguars might have staggered to a fifth-place finish in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. But by the end of the season, Honoré had turned into a force around the goal, averaging 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game — good enough to become the SWAC freshman of the year.

Now comes the really fun part: getting even better than he was before.

“When you’re competing against opponents in the league who are more experienced, they know what to expect,” fourth-year coach Rob Spivery said.

“I think Barry, coming in, did not know what to expect last year. I think toward the end of the year, he caught on to it. He exerted himself a little bit more, was more aggressive. If he can be that way from the very beginning this year, then it’s just going to help him a lot. And it’s certainly going to help us as a team.”

As a high school senior from South Garland, just outside Dallas, Honoré originally committed to Oral Roberts. But when the scholarship offer fell through, his father, Bruce, got in touch with the Jaguars’ coaching staff.

Bruce Honoré had grown up near New Roads, and most of his family members still lived nearby.

Spivery, for his part, liked what he saw from Honoré in high school: a long, beefy, athletic kid who worked hard in practice and largely kept his mouth shut.

Last season, he often settled for short jumpers instead of driving to the goal. He was also slow to move his feet and rotate on defense. But more importantly, Spivery said, Honoré has to become more aggressive — to exert his will on opponents, rather than reacting to their moves.

-------------------

BARRYHONORE9_14150.JPG

Here is a take from a source that follows Texas area recruiting:

He has good size. He is a decent shooter. He won't be a star at Oklahoma, but he can be a solid player off of the bench

Texashoops.com recruiting staff on Barry:

Barry is a strong bodied swing man who can control the boards and move people off the block defensively. He has a soft touch around the goal and can step out and hit the three. He finishes well against bigger players and knows how to create space with his body.

Lets just not let him shoot clutch free throws.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtCUbo_NgU[/ame]

Welcome to Soonerland, Barry.

I can't wait to see this coaching staff have a chance to work with you. Bring that work ethic and a hard hat.:OUbball-logo:

does this mean we are struggling on the recruiting front? or there are not that many pf/c out there?

does this mean we are struggling on the recruiting front? or there are not that many pf/c out there?

Maybe Capel wanted an experienced player in the post for the 2010 season? I have no problem with the conference freshman of the year coming to OU, redshirting, and getting ready to produce at the Big 12 level.

Capel knows what he is doing.

So the recruiting class now looks like:
TJ Taylor (Freshman)
Barry Honore (Transfer)

Last edited:

I have thought for awhile now that we would take a JUCO big man. A transfer big man may have more benefit to the Sooners than a JUCO big because they will have a year to learn the offense, and are a smaller academic risk.

big, so he will be coming in next year correct? Will that make him a Junior for his first year at OU? Also will he have to sit out a year?

big, so he will be coming in next year correct? Will that make him a Junior for his first year at OU? Also will he have to sit out a year?

lucky,

I know you are talking to bigtime, but he will have to sit out next year due to NCAA transfer rules and will become eligible in the 2010 season as a redshirt sophomore with 3 years play.

Okay, so he will be with the team this year just practicing similiar to what ryan wright did....so we should expect him to enroll in classes this fall?

lucky,

I know you are talking to bigtime, but he will have to sit out next year due to NCAA transfer rules and will become eligible in the 2010 season as a redshirt sophomore with 3 years play.

How would he have 3? Looks like he has two stat lines up there. A freshman and a Sophomore year, right? Or am I just reading it wrong?

How would he have 3? Looks like he has two stat lines up there. A freshman and a Sophomore year, right? Or am I just reading it wrong?

Woops, I wasnt paying close enough attention. I just read the Freshman of the Year award line and assumed he was transferring after his first year.

Change that lucky, he will come in as a redshirt junior and have TWO years to play.

Is this guy better than Orlando Allen?

I don't think anyone can answer that yet for two reasons. 1. This kid didn't get much exposure out of the SWAC on a bad Southern team. 2. Orlando Allen has reportedly shown marked improvement in conditioning and in game since last season.

They are really going to be different types of players with Barry being a pick and pop type 4, and Orlando being a traditional center.

I have thought for awhile now that we would take a JUCO big man. A transfer big man may have more benefit to the Sooners than a JUCO big because they will have a year to learn the offense, and are a smaller academic risk.

Honore was recruited by OU out of High School so for what it's worth, he didn't come totally out of left field. This is just what has been very apparent when we didn't sign a guy in the spring. We have been very wishful around here in regards to big men and we should have really been clued off by the fact Robert Goff had an offer so early and the commitment of Richard Peters. Personally, I don't care about a big man. I don't think we need a 6'9 or above guy right now, we need a versatyle four like Demarre Carroll that can give you alot of things. Harris and Jones those types, but they are super recruits. But still, there are alot of guys that we could be getting in on at the 4 that we just have not. Whether its Tony Mitchell, Julian Washburn, or other guys.

Honore was recruited by OU out of High School so for what it's worth, he didn't come totally out of left field. This is just what has been very apparent when we didn't sign a guy in the spring. We have been very wishful around here in regards to big men and we should have really been clued off by the fact Robert Goff had an offer so early and the commitment of Richard Peters. Personally, I don't care about a big man. I don't think we need a 6'9 or above guy right now, we need a versatyle four like Demarre Carroll that can give you alot of things. Harris and Jones those types, but they are super recruits. But still, there are alot of guys that we could be getting in on at the 4 that we just have not. Whether its Tony Mitchell, Julian Washburn, or other guys.

Robert Goff does not have an OU offer at this time. He may get one after this week's top performer's camp though (he will be here).

Back