Sooners have a ‘very good vibe’ going

bluesooner17

Reaction score
NORMAN — Sherri Coale has a chance to reach a special milestone Sunday.

Heading into OU’s home game against TCU, Coale has 499 career wins.

Coale, who was inducted into the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in 2016, would become the first Sooners basketball coach — in either men’s or women’s — to reach the 500-win mark with the school.

After an up-and-down start, Coale’s Sooners have won three consecutive games and are tied for second place in the Big 12 a season after going just 8-22 overall and 4-14 in the conference.

Coale spoke with The Oklahoman about the difference between last season’s team and this year’s, the development of Taylor Robertson and the Sooners’ defense:

How energized is this team after winning three consecutive games?

I think they’re in a really good place. It’s amazing the extra pep that a couple of wins will put in your step. Their focus on the work continues to be as its been for quite some time now — very workmanlike, very methodical. I don’t feel like their approach has changed at all. They have a little bit more energy maybe.

Last season this team struggled when Ana Llanusa was hurt. Llanusa has missed the last two games and still this team knocked off Iowa State and West Virginia. What’s the difference this time around?

Everybody has a year’s worth of experience. They were just a bunch of freshmen last year trying to figure things out. It’s amazing what the accumulation of time can do. Everybody’s starting to understand their individual strengths and how to piece them together. … There’s just a very good vibe between them right now.

How has Taylor Robertson’s game evolved this season beyond just her shooting?

I would start with her communication. She’s talking more, certainly during play but also at timeouts and dead balls. She’s so much more comfortable. She’s got a great eye for the game and a high IQ. We need — her teammates need — her information. But also her fitness level, her ability to continue to move and change her speed and work to get open while also being an improved defender — she couldn’t do all that last year because her fitness level wouldn’t allow for it. Her shot’s quicker. She’s very crafty. That was true last year, but she’s so much more confident in it.

At West Virginia, your team held the Mountaineers to just 23.7 percent from the floor. How far has this team come defensively?

That and rebounding have been the two biggest areas of improvement. The blocking out is just habitual now and it’s making a difference. We had 16 offensive boards at West Virginia so it’s not just blocking out, it’s offensive crashing

Three things to know

• The Sooners are coming off one of the best defensive performances in conference history. West Virginia shot just 23.7 percent from the floor Wednesday night and the Mountaineers were just 1 of 13 from behind the 3-point line with no players scoring in double figures.

• Two TCU assistants played at OU. Britney Brown started 59 games from 2003-07 while Abi Olajuwon played from 2006-10, playing key roles on the 2009 and 2010 Final Four teams.

• The Sooners are 22-8 alltime vs. TCU including 14-1 in Norman. The Horned Frogs’ only win in Lloyd Noble Center came last season. TCU has won four in a row against the Sooners.

and getting in position to get rebounds as well. Defensively, it’s all about rotation and having confidence and trust in the system, that if I send the ball where it’s supposed to go that my teammates are going to be where they’re supposed to be and collectively we can guard this.

TCU at Oklahoma

When: 3 p.m. Sunday Where: Lloyd Noble Center, Norman TV: FSOK (Cox 37) Radio: KOKC 1520 AM, KREF 99.3 FM/1400 AM

Jinx..

TCU is whipping our butts in every aspect today. Go figure we start talking about a vibe and lose a home game we should or at least could have one. Games not over yet but the way we are playing missing easy shots and giving them easy baskets, I don't see us winning this game. Not playing the way we have been that's for sure. Not sure if Ana playing today would have helped or not. Completely got jinxed.

TCU is just a bad match up for Ou... maybe having 2 former players on there staff has something to do with it...

The difference in athleticism between the two teams is alarming to say the least.

For certain OU is not athletic as a team with only 3-4 really athletic girls on the roster.

Their girls outfought OU's women all day for loose balls, leading to many many second-chance points, which they cashed often.

OU's turnovers once again makes it really hard to watch them play. So many poor decisions, sometimes really sloppy play. There is probably not a team that OU has played this year that OU has not notched a higher number of turnovers!

TCU did an excellent job of clamping down on Taylor after she started out 3-4 from BTA. They just did an outstanding job of denying her a shot from 3, and guarding her closely when she did get the ball.

We need to improve our inside rebounding in the worst possible way! It seems that every team pushes us around in the paint.

What's the word on Williston? Looking at her bio on SoonerSports, it says that she underwent knee surgery last year. But that was last year, she should be pretty well re-habbed by now. She's 6-4 and was rated as the #17 center by HoopGurlz.
Is she yet another one of Sherri's no-shows on the recruiting front?

We need to improve our inside rebounding in the worst possible way! It seems that every team pushes us around in the paint.

What's the word on Williston? Looking at her bio on SoonerSports, it says that she underwent knee surgery last year. But that was last year, she should be pretty well re-habbed by now. She's 6-4 and was rated as the #17 center by HoopGurlz.

Who knows. From what little we have seen her she has shown some solid potential but she has not gotten the needed minutes to make an effective transition to D-I WBB. But fans do not get to watch practice daily so who know what she can really provide.

She has appeared in 12 of the 16 games and averaged 4.4 minutes, shot .786 on 11/14 from the field and .750 on 3/4 from the line. has 8 RBs and 12 TOs.

To me, she doesn't look fully recovered when she plays. I remember when Chelsi Welch came back from her acl that she was not the same player. I really don't think she ever was, but I am not sure that later, it was not more in her head.

Do you think Williston looks recovered or have you seen her? She does seem confident but doesn't move that well. I never saw her play before she came to OU and have not seen her that much here, but I have no clue how she moved before. I am not sure that these players are no shows as much as I think they are "no-coached." But that is just my opinion, of course, and has been for l7 years. No expert and do not spend the time many of you do on this.

To me, she doesn't look fully recovered when she plays. I remember when Chelsi Welch came back from her acl that she was not the same player. I really don't think she ever was, but I am not sure that later, it was not more in her head.

Do you think Williston looks recovered or have you seen her? She does seem confident but doesn't move that well. I never saw her play before she came to OU and have not seen her that much here, but I have no clue how she moved before. I am not sure that these players are no shows as much as I think they are "no-coached." But that is just my opinion, of course, and has been for l7 years. No expert and do not spend the time many of you do on this.

I watched Aspen play in high school. Actually she has gotten better than she was at Broken Bow. She can flat out shoot the basketball, but she still needs work on her foot work, and that will come I think. If she continues to improve, I can see her giving us 15 valuable minutes in the post, with her redshirt we get her 3 more years and I hope she can become a contributor, with Sherri's lack of recruiting a big we need Aspen to step up.

Back