Sooners in the hunt for JUCO 7-footer >> OUHoops

Henzo

Reaction score
Since getting his start at SEEDS Academy in Senegal, the College of Southern Idaho sophomore 7-footer Aziz Ndiaye has had high hopes attached to his name.

The talented big man landed in Twin Hills, Idaho by way of Chicago, Illinois after leaving his African home three years ago. As with many foreign imports, many of Ndiaye’s schooling credits did not transfer properly over to the states.

His first season at College of Southern Idaho resulted in him leading the league in rebounding and finishing second in blocked shots. A torn ACL has sidelined him for the 2009-10 season, but the injury has not deterred some of the top programs in the country from chasing after the big man.

Link: OUHoops.com

Re: OUHoops >> Sooners in the hunt for JUCO 7-footer

Henzo, what are OU's chances?

Henzo, what are OU's chances?

Based on what he has said he's looking for, I think Oklahoma is going to be in good shape with him. With what the Sooners (likely) have returning, and how he could be an important piece to the OU squad immediately.. and I know the coaches at CSI think very highly of the way coach Cline develops big men -- I personally feel the Sooners will get a visit from Ndaiye and we'll see what happens from there.

He looks like a thicker Longar Longar which would be a great get.

Thanks Zo.

Get him, Coach Capel and Coach Cline!

Wow. Ndiaye would be a perfect fit down low for OU.

Looks good to me! Go get him Coach!

I can't see OU playing him and Tiny together much, but I do see him playing 20plus minutes and providing rebounding, shot blocks, and hustle points. I'd like for OU to get him solely on his potential defensively and the fact that with his rebounding he could limit second chance points.

If he is good, and not a player that ends up faultering, he'd be a GREAT fit. I don't know enough about the kid to know one way or the other, whether he'd be starting material from day one.

Hopefully he is. And hopefully he'll be in C&C next year.

Is there any chance Tiny could play the four and him play center? (Shows you how ignorant I am about the niceties of basketball).

I can't see OU playing him and Tiny together much, but I do see him playing 20plus minutes and providing rebounding, shot blocks, and hustle points. I'd like for OU to get him solely on his potential defensively and the fact that with his rebounding he could limit second chance points.

I would think that they would compliment each other very well...but am curious as to the reasoning behind your opinion. Absolutely not a flame or otherwise, just curious.

Is there any chance Tiny could play the four and him play center? (Shows you how ignorant I am about the niceties of basketball).

Personally, I think it would be perfect for Tiny/Oklahoma. Gallon is going to be a four if he makes it in the NBA. For Oklahoma, it would be great to have those two big guys in the paint, and Ndiaye is athletic enough to get up and down the court and be the defensive presence in the paint that Oklahoma sorely needs this season..

Oklahoma has had solid perimeter defense this season. Their defensive presence in the paint has been awful.

Tiny's strengths are mostly offensively. He is still progressing defensively. I believe taking the weight of being the sole rim protector off of him and shifting it onto an active 7-footer could really help Tiny's progression.

You are assuming that Tiny won't work hard this offseason and drop even more weight and improve on his quickness. People forget that Tiny went from 365 to 290 in a year due to hard work. He will play a 4 at the next level, and with some hard work, he can play the 4 at Oklahoma next year. He has the jumper to be able to do so....

Long time reader, first time poster here. Been a season ticket holder since 1999, so 10 years now. I understand our need for some presence down low, but I am really hesitant to get a JUCO. The reason I say this is b/c if you look at our Juco's from the last 10 years (spanning two coaches), the majority of them have been busts. They have either been kicked off or have never played or developed. I think Juco's, most of the time, are bandaids when we need a tourniquet. This program needs 3-4 year guys not two years or less of little to no playing time. Obviously, had Patillo not been given his walking papers we would be fine this year IMO, but we are not in that situation. Am I the only one that thinks this way?

Long time reader, first time poster here. Been a season ticket holder since 1999, so 10 years now. I understand our need for some presence down low, but I am really hesitant to get a JUCO. The reason I say this is b/c if you look at our Juco's from the last 10 years (spanning two coaches), the majority of them have been busts. They have either been kicked off or have never played or developed. I think Juco's, most of the time, are bandaids when we need a tourniquet. This program needs 3-4 year guys not two years or less of little to no playing time. Obviously, had Patillo not been given his walking papers we would be fine this year IMO, but we are not in that situation. Am I the only one that thinks this way?

No, I tend to have the same feeling about JUCOs. I really think you have to take a chance on them. Sometimes they bust, they tend to have off-court issues and some have a hard time adjusting. But sometimes you hit the jackpot. Its a hit and miss kind of deal.

But what about the guys we wouldn't have gotten (since 1999)?

John Otjeas*
Kelly Newton
Quannas White
Ebi Ere
Ace McGhee
Corey Brewer
Nate Erdman
Ernie Abercrombie
Taj Grey
Terrell Everett
Jason Dietrick
Dariean Selvy
Michael Neal

Going before 1999 thnk of all the JUCO kids that helped OU under Tubbs, in some instances, substantially. I LOVE OU's JUCO history as it helps us when we recruit kids like this one. You take the above players out of an OU uniform and our history is substantially diminished. This guy absolutely fills a need....and I'd also throw out there that in many instances 4 year kids don't pan out either, even under Capel (or many other coach's for that matter).

*Note: I'm sure I butchered spelling on these names.

Hollisp, first of all -- great to have you posting on OUHoops and I hope you make it a habit. The more contributors, the more activity, the more opinions... the better this place will be for everyone.

In regards to your statement, generally I do agree with you. Nowadays, more often than not players who end up taking the JUCO route have commitment issues in the classroom, which often times (though not always) translates to similar problems on the basketball court. It is my opinion that Oklahoma has suffered from this over the past few years, lack of commitment in the classroom, on the court, or both.

Aziz Ndiaye is different, because he came to the United States as a senior in high school. His credits did not transfer from Senegal, which led him to be forced to take the JUCO route to make it into college. He is complimented for his hard-working mentality, which is often times questionable among the best of the junior college ranks. As long as his ACL tear hasn't limited his athleticism, which has been considered outstanding for a 7-footer, I feel he has the tools to be an impact player at the collegiate level, where ever he lands.

Hollisp, first of all -- great to have you posting on OUHoops and I hope you make it a habit. The more contributors, the more activity, the more opinions... the better this place will be for everyone.

In regards to your statement, generally I do agree with you. Nowadays, more often than not players who end up taking the JUCO route have commitment issues in the classroom, which often times (though not always) translates to similar problems on the basketball court. It is my opinion that Oklahoma has suffered from this over the past few years, lack of commitment in the classroom, on the court, or both.

Aziz Ndiaye is different, because he came to the United States as a senior in high school. His credits did not transfer from Senegal, which led him to be forced to take the JUCO route to make it into college. He is complimented for his hard-working mentality, which is often times questionable among the best of the junior college ranks. As long as his ACL tear hasn't limited his athleticism, which has been considered outstanding for a 7-footer, I feel he has the tools to be an impact player at the collegiate level, where ever he lands.

I hope he works out and a 7 footer sounds amazing! Good to hear he may be a better person than the others. I agree with you in the fact that these guys now are more of a risk than they were even 10-15 years ago. There is no doubt IMO we have been burned by them more than we have been helped. Take away Quannas and Ace and you don't have many positives. Cya ya'll at the game tonight!

Back