Sooners in the NBA Draft

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Here is a look back at all the Sooners drafted over the years. Keep in mind that this doesn't include all the guys that have played in the NBA.

Its amazing (and kind of sad) that it has been nine years since our last selection, and that OU hasn't had a player taken in the first round since 1989. If Taylor were to get drafted with along with his bro, then it would be the first time since 1989 that we have had two guys picked.

The good news is that this guy :jcapel appears to have OU in good shape to have more and more guys drafted in the future.

2000 Eduardo Najera F - Houston 2nd 39th
1998 Corey Brewer G - Miami 2nd 51st
1997 Nate Erdmann G - Utah 2nd 57th
1996 Ryan Minor F - Philadelphia 2nd 32nd
1994 Jeff Webster F - Miami 2nd 40th
1992 Brent Price G - Washington 2nd 32nd
1989 Stacey King C - Chicago 1st 6th
1989 Mookie Blaylock G - New Jersey 1st 12th
1988 Ricky Grace G - Utah 3rd 67th
1988 Harvey Grant F - Washington 1st 12th
1987 Darryl Kennedy F - Boston 4th 91st
1987 David Johnson F - Dallas 4th 89th
1987 Tim McCalister G - L.A. Clippers 3rd 47th
1986 Anthony Bowie G - Houston 3rd 66th
1985 Wayman Tisdale C - Indiana 1st 2nd
1984 Calvin Pierce F - Chicago 9th 186th
1983 Bo Overton G - Phoenix 10th 224th
1983 Charles Jones C - Atlanta 5th 104th
1983 Chucky Barnett G - Houston 5th 94th
1983 David Little F - Denver 3rd 61st
1980 Aaron Curry G - New Jersey 5th 98th
1980 Al Beal F - Milwaukee 3rd 63rd
1980 Terry Stotts F - Houston 2nd 38th
1979 John McCullough G - Kansas City 4th 85th
1975 Alvan Adams C - Phoenix 1st 4th
1974 Tom Holland F - Phoenix 8th 130th
1974 Ted Evans C - Phoenix 9th 148th
1972 Andrew Pettes G - Chicago 14th 110th
1972 Bobby Jack F - Cincinnati 8th 90th
1971 Clifford Ray F - Chicago 3rd 33rd
1970 Garfield Heard F - Seattle 1st 3rd
1968 Willie Rogers F - Seattle 8th 71st
1968 Don Sidle C - San Francisco 3rd 29th
1962 Warren Fouts F - New York 8th 62nd
1951 Marcus Freiberger C - Indianapolis 4th -
1950 Paul Merchant F - Syracuse 10th -

1950 Wayne Glasgow F - Minneapolis 6th -
1949 Paul Courty G - Providence 8th -

nine freaking years. that's just crazy. no. 1 overall kinda makes up for it. so tomorrow is going to be a glorious day for blake, the fans, and everyone involved with the program.

think about how awesome these drafts would be if they still went ten rounds deep. ugh.

nine freaking years. that's just crazy. no. 1 overall kinda makes up for it. so tomorrow is going to be a glorious day for blake, the fans, and everyone involved with the program.

think about how awesome these drafts would be if they still went ten rounds deep. ugh.

I agree I am pumped!

Wow we haven't had a first round pick in 20 years.

We have been blessed with 3 really good coaches.

We have been blessed with 3 really good coaches.

That's true. Kelvin just didn't need NBA talent to be successful. In a lot of ways, he didn't want many of the NBA type guys because, in his words, they were "prima donnas" that he didn't want to fool with.

That's true. Kelvin just didn't need NBA talent to be successful. In a lot of ways, he didn't want many of the NBA type guys because, in his words, they were "prima donnas" that he didn't want to fool with.

well, needless to say, not many NBA-type players were ever going to buy into any "Heart, Hustle, Hardwood".

well, needless to say, not many NBA-type players were ever going to buy into any "Heart, Hustle, Hardwood".

That is true. Those guys worked their arses off for Kelvin, and because of it, we won a lot of games....

That's just so untrue. You're telling me guys at Duke, UNC, etc don't work their butts off? Your telling me Blake Griffin and Willie Warrent don't buy into heart and hustle? You believe TMG and Tiny don't?
That was a copout on why Sampson couldn't recruit. I think it was as much he was the prima donna than the "NBA type player". And that's fine...he was successful in the regular season with his style and his way.
But to say the "NBA players" don't work hard is flat out silly. They work VERY HARD that is why they are in the NBA. If Jabahri Brown had 1/2 the work ethic that Eduardo Najera had he'd have been an NBA star.

Ah, yes, because Cheno had his finger on the pulse of OU BBall back then.

We elevated our profile after the Final Four and, in turn, we were able to bring in the kids with the higher profile. How did that work? Well, from the recruiting classes of 2003 and 2004 we only had one freshman make it past his sophomore year. Kevin Bookout. Everyone else bailed.

But tell us how it was, Cheno.

We elevated our profile after the Final Four and, in turn, we were able to bring in the kids with the higher profile. How did that work? Well, from the recruiting classes of 2003 and 2004 we only had one freshman make it past his sophomore year. Kevin Bookout. Everyone else bailed.

I just think it was a different kind of mindset and attitude that most NBA-bound guys couldn't hack. I don't think those guys truely get broken down and built back up like they would have playing for Kelvin, Bobby Knight, or others of the like. Yes, other teams work hard. Yes other guys stress team and discipline and academics, but it was just different at OU under Sampson. Ask Drew. Ask Ryan. Ask guys that transferred in to Oklahoma.

I am not saying that other coaches aren't just as effective in their methods. But Kelvin was pretty unique. Capel is more the norm of coaches that expect hustle, discipline, and academics, but don't break you down like Sampson did. Most draftable kids don't want that. And in return, Kelvin didn't want them.

Bring in kids with higher profile? In '03 Lavender was a stud but Foust, McKenzie, Tobias and Jayson Williams weren't even close to NBA type guys.
In '04 it was Godbold, LL, Everett & Gray. None were NBA type players. And LL & Godbold stayed all 4 years. In '02 it was Deangelo Alexander & Bookout. Again, not NBA guys.

It's just silly to suggest guys like Blake Griffin, Tim Duncan, Tyler Hansbrough, Nick Collison, Shane Battier, etc wouldn't play for Sampson because they couldn't "buy in to heart, hustle, hardwood". That's just plain silly.

Bottom line is Capel is getting top 25 guys left and right because he's out recruiting hard and not using excuses and crutches.

I know that it may be a shocker, but you CAN actually applaud Coach Capel and Coach Sampson without tearing down the other. Really, you can.:p

Both coaches have their own unique personality, and that personality is evident in how they recruit, coach, run a program, etc. Sampson was more of a lunch pail, no nonsense type of guy, and he recruited guys who he saw as good fits for his brand of ball. He was old school and pretty much set in his ways.

Capel is younger, more in touch with the youth of this generation, and his demeanor and personality endear him to a different crowd of players. Some of the guys that he gets probably wouldn't have liked it here when Sampson was coaching, but that doesn't shine a negative light on Kelvin, IMO, it just means that they were effective getting different types of players.

I'm thrilled at what Capel is doing now. I love the players that he is able to get in on. He is proving himself to be a solid recruiter, no doubt about that. I also can reflect and appreciate what KS did with guys who were less highly ranked, but they would run through a brick wall for him. KS enjoyed a successful career, and hopefully we are seeing Capel building something special in his own right, but I just don't buy into having to discredit one in order to praise the other. Different eras, different guys, both appreciated for what they brought/are bringing to OU.

Back