Staff movement today?

At least it's our most minor staff change over the course of the PM era, right?
It seems to be, but I recall a lot of posters hyping up how important he was because of his NBA background and player development skills. It probably makes sense for him, but it's another hit to our program to once again have staff turnover, especially this close to the start of practice.

I can confirm he got another position at a place known for having a lot of UV rays.

In the G league job.
Makes sense for him if his goal is to be on the floor coaching and/or in the NBA. But as with so many Moser hires, this seems like something Moser should have realized when he hired him. If you vet a guy and realize what his ultimate goal is, it seems like a bad decision to hire someone for a player development role who isn't likely to stay for more than a year or two. Anyway you slice it, it isn't good for us to have constant turnover on the staff.

I've always felt if you have a solid staff in the right roles, it's good to have continuity. However, I'm not sure what his actual contribution was being here just 363 days. And I know there is the angle of Porter's staff having higher turnover, somewhat deserved, but sounds like another coach leaving for a better gig or position more in line with career goals. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe that means Moser is hiring quality coaches who others want to hire, too. Better than a guy who is here forever because no one else wants him.

Plus, I would think those who slam the lack of player development would celebrate the Director of Player Development leaving, not complain about another coach leaving. LOL.

Some would complain if PM still had the same staff he did 3 years ago. It would show that he is complacent and his guys are getting better gigs because they aren't good.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've always felt if you have a solid staff in the right roles, it's good to have continuity. However, I'm not sure what his actual contribution was being here just 363 days. And I know there is the angle of Porter's staff having higher turnover, somewhat deserved, but sounds like another coach leaving for a better gig or position more in line with career goals. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe that means Moser is hiring quality coaches who others want to hire, too. Better than a guy who is here forever because no one else wants him.

Plus, I would think those who slam the lack of player development would celebrate the Director of Player Development leaving, not complain about another coach leaving. LOL.
The question isn't whether it is a good move for Jesperson. It almost certainly is. The question is whether it is good for OU to have to constantly replace coaches and important staff members. I don't understand why some people seem so unwilling to admit that it is a bad thing to have to annually replace people. No business or company wants to frequently lose employees (assuming they are good at their jobs). And if they aren't good at their jobs and you don't mind losing them, that's another issue.

Some would complain if PM still had the same staff he did 3 years ago. It would show that he is complacent and his guys are getting better gigs because they aren't good.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
It would depend on whether they were doing their jobs well. I don't think many KU fans complain that Self has had a handful of his top guys forever. Baylor fans probably didn't mind that so many great assistants stuck around on Drew's staff for ages till they finally left for good head coaching jobs.

This sounds like more of a situation where Jesperson had a job lined up (or Oppenheimer had this job lined up before that) and it was announced now because school started.

Back