Statistical Oddities From OU's 2010 Season

Sooner04

Reaction score
All stats are as of 8:00 AM, February 22, 2010.

There are five teams in the Big 12 with a losing conference record. Those five teams are 4-1 against OU.

OU is averaging 73.3 points per game while giving up 72.9. With a tough slate of games remaining, this could be the first OU team to be outscored overall since 1981.

This will be the first OU team to surrender more than 70 points a game since 1996.

Tony Crocker is the only player to start every game he's played in.

Willie Warren has played in 21 games this year. He's shot over 50% from the field in only four.

Ray Willis has started two games and led the team in rebounding both times.

OU has been outscored by seven points a game in conference (74.7-67.7).

OU has been ten points a game worse than their opponent when the contest is held away from the Lloyd Noble Center (79.3-69.5).

Keith Gallon has only attempted 30 free throws in 11 conference games.

Andrew Fitzgerald is averaging less than one rebound for every eight minutes of floor time.

Tommy Mason-Griffin is averaging 18.3 points per game in conference, but is requiring 13.9 field goal attempts to get those points.

Tony Crocker has seven double-doubles. Keith Gallon has six. The rest of the team, combined, has four.

Ten of OU's 13 losses have come by more than ten points, the most since 1994.

Five different Sooners have attempted more than 50 free throws this season, and all of them shoot at better than a 70% clip.

Willie Warren is the only Sooner to have attempted more than 10 free throws in a game in conference play (10, OSU).

OU has won one road game, the worst road showing since the '81 team went winless away from Norman.

Orlando Allen has only appeared in nine games.

Of the 13 players on OU's roster, seven have missed games or starting assignments for disciplinary reasons (that we know of).

Last edited:
Some of the "important" ones, IMO.

This will be the first OU team to surrender more than 70 points a game since 1996.

Willie Warren has played in 21 games this year. He's shot over 50% from the field in only four.

Keith Gallon has only attempted 30 free throws in 11 conference games.

Tommy Mason-Griffin is averaging 18.3 points per game in conference, but is requiring 13.9 field goal attempts to get those points.

Ten of OU's 13 losses have come by more than ten points, the most since 1994.

Shows poor defense, and not very effecient offense. As bad as we've been on defense, and we've been bad, our offense hasn't been very good either. 56th in effeciency, after being top 5 I believe last year.

You know TU...as bad as our defense has been i think you bring up a good point in that our offense has struggled as well...

At the game saturday i, for the first time all year, just sat back and watched our offense to see why we cant get anything done on a consistent basis...

we still run some of the sets for Tiny we did for Blake and when Tiny decides he wants to post up and isnt sucking air he is pretty effective (4 possessions sat)...other than that our offense is predicated on players creating off of the dribble, obviously TMG...and when he is fresh like he was in the first half, he can make things happen and everyone seems to play so much better...

but when he is tired, and you can clearly see this by how assertive he is, the offense is stagnant...you have Crocker going into seizures trying to drive and teams just overplay us and we look like we have never seen a defense before...this is partly for lacking any consistent inside game, but also not having anyone else on the court that can create off the dribble (willie helps a lot when he is in there as long as him and TMG arent playing mind games with each other about who is the point)

just my two cents on that...

Interesting but depressing stats, Sooner04!

If I had to pick out one thing that bothers me more than any other, it's this: Of the 13 players on OU's roster, seven have missed games or starting assignments for disciplinary reasons (that we know of). And, as you suggested, there may be others we don't know about.

No wonder this season has been marred by one disappointment after another! I'm not sure what it will take to turn things around? But something has to be done, or what was once a fine program will go down the tubes in a hurry at this rate.

Thanks for the post, 04! I think. lol

Great work Sooner04. All very interesting stats. I think it sort of confirms my thoughts on this team, e.g. they are very young and inexperianced and play inconsistent, thus are played by the coaches inconsistently. Don't know how much effort is required, all hit "walls" at different times, still adjusting to college, and our losses have resulted in a breakdown in team chemistry.

D-1 college basketball is tough and the margin between winning and losing is so slight. Slight differences in this team could have made the difference in several games and thus the season and how we perceive it.

Bottom line for me is we are young and struggling and have lost all the 50/50 games and a couple we shouldn't have lost. I think we have some talent, have some coming in, and I think we will be fine next year. I still think Jeff is a really good coach and is just having a down year. We will be OK next year, and with the right late signing period recruits, we could really be up and running next year.

All stats are as of 8:00 AM, February 22, 2010.

There are five teams in the Big 12 with a losing conference record. Those five teams are 4-1 against OU.

That is the worst one of the bunch.

I would not have guessed Tiny has only been to the line 3 times a game (in conference play), that fitzgerald only gets one board every 8 minutes, or that Willis was the leading rebounder both games he started.

I have zero understanding how Muonelo (last year at OSU) and Crocker and Willis (and Cade Davis to a lesser degree) can all grab so many rebounds while young power forwards (all over the conference) can routinely only get 4-6 a game. It just doesn't make sense to me. It is almost like the opponents don't take the guards seriously and forget to block out but I cannot believe that is truly the reason.

Last edited:
I have zero understanding how Muonelo (last year at OSU) and Crocker and Willis (and Cade Davis to a lesser degree) can all grab so many rebounds while young power forwards (all over the conference) can routinely only get 4-6 a game. It just doesn't make sense to me. It is almost like the opponents don't take the guards seriously and forget to block out but I cannot believe that is truly the reason.
I think rebounding is all about effort. If you train yourself to be a rebounding machine and really work at the craft you can gobble up boards at a tremendous rate. I saw Ernie Abercrombie once grab 22 boards against a Mississippi State team that made it to the Final Four.

Effort, though, has been lacking in our frontcourt for most of the season.

OU is averaging 73.3 points per game while giving up 72.9. With a tough slate of games remaining, this could be the first OU team to be outscored overall since 1981.

OU has been ten points a game worse than their opponent when the contest is held away from the Lloyd Noble Center (79.3-69.5).

the gap in the first stat is gonna close by a couple tenths after tonight.

i can handle losing on the road. i can't handle not even being in the game, or playing so terribly poor on the road. i'm just not used to that. it's the most frustrating part for me.

i thought '07 was as bad as it would ever get.

the gap in the first stat is gonna close by a couple tenths after tonight.

i can handle losing on the road. i can't handle not even being in the game, or playing so terribly poor on the road. i'm just not used to that. it's the most frustrating part for me.

i thought '07 was as bad as it would ever get.

How many of our games did we go with a 4 guard line-up this year?

And how many games did we get outrebounded going with the 4 guard line-up?

And how many games did we get outrebounded going with the 4 guard line-up?

Crocker isn't much "smaller" then alot of 4's we've gone up against this year. Everybody goes small. Maybe not quite as small as we have, but small. The days of having two big stiffs is over with.

I think rebounding is all about effort. If you train yourself to be a rebounding machine and really work at the craft you can gobble up boards at a tremendous rate. I saw Ernie Abercrombie once grab 22 boards against a Mississippi State team that made it to the Final Four.

Effort, though, has been lacking in our frontcourt for most of the season.

yup. i'll say this about your boy gamma, the first thing he does when a shot goes up is look for someone to put a body on to block out. defenders watching shots all the way to the rim instead of looking around to notice where the offensive rebounders are has become much to common everywhere.

"Tommy Mason-Griffin is averaging 18.3 points per game in conference, but is requiring 13.9 field goal attempts to get those points."

Does this mean the point guard is a volume shooter??

"Tommy Mason-Griffin is averaging 18.3 points per game in conference, but is requiring 13.9 field goal attempts to get those points."

I think people confuse the term "volume shooter" with some one that simply isn't being effecient, at times.

WW is a volume shooter. He isn't going to be affective with limited shots. I think TMG can be.

I think people confuse the term "volume shooter" with some one that simply isn't being effecient, at times.

WW is a volume shooter. He isn't going to be affective with limited shots. I think TMG can be.

TMG has a much better shot and stroke than Willie.

Which is why I said that I didn't think TMG was a volume shooter.

I was agreeing with you. Always hoped WW would adjust his mechanics so he would hit more consistently, but not likely to happen.

I was agreeing with you. Always hoped WW would adjust his mechanics so he would hit more consistently, but not likely to happen.

Yep. WW's jumper needs work. That is one reason he shoots so many deep 3's.....he needs that additional space to get "open" at times.

That is not a bad stat at all. Especially for a guard.

Back