Student Section

DenverSooner

Reaction score
Is the student section only under the basket now?

If so that really sucks and is wrong. When I was in school (and that sounds old) we got great seats. The entire University exists for the Students. The Students should get really good seats even if the Alumni have to pay an extra $1 or $2 per seat, per game.

Why go early if your seat sucks? In the late 80s/early 90s, if you showed up early you got lower level, essentially mid court seats. Therefore, it was worth your time and the effort to show up early and get those seats. Even if you came late you could usually get the corner TV angle (pretty good seat). I remember sitting right under that camera for the UNLV game (the second one in Norman).

There are many great seats for the students at the games. I stand right on the court. I don't think this is a problem at all. We (the students) wanted to have a unified student section. Not 4 different small student sections, as was the arrangement 3 years ago.

If so that really sucks and is wrong. When I was in school (and that sounds old) we got great seats. The entire University exists for the Students. The Students should get really good seats even if the Alumni have to pay an extra $1 or $2 per seat, per game.

Why go early if your seat sucks? In the late 80s/early 90s, if you showed up early you got lower level, essentially mid court seats. Therefore, it was worth your time and the effort to show up early and get those seats. Even if you came late you could usually get the corner TV angle (pretty good seat). I remember sitting right under that camera for the UNLV game (the second one in Norman).

yep we used to get the center section other to the FF line .. but we had donors in front of us on those seats ... the new student section all together is a great thing ....

i wish they would tweak it and start the section right on top of the court all the way across .. and move the band somewhere else

An extra $1 or $2 per seat? Lower level seats are quite a bit more expensive per game than the students....and that is after the required donation. I like to new student section area, as long as they keep showing up it will look good.

Also, Wake Forest's students are behind the basket and they have one of the more involved sections in the nation.

An extra $1 or $2 per seat? Lower level seats are quite a bit more expensive per game than the students....and that is after the required donation. I like to new student section area, as long as they keep showing up it will look good.

Also, Wake Forest's students are behind the basket and they have one of the more involved sections in the nation.

The students have a great deal now... If they attend 90% of the games they get a huge % of the initial cost for season tickets back. The students have really rolled out for the first two games... I can't wait to see what it looks like when conference play rolls around.

not just a huge percentage....100 percent of it. Full refund.

KU and OSU student sections are behind the goals on both ends, never seems to be a problem for them. Well OSU is a bit now since their attendance is down the last couple years but in the past it's always been an advantage. The best is having them down on the floor as low as you can get them like Duke but next best is behind the goals.

OU students have no reason not to sell out the section every game with what they are doing.

KU and OSU student sections are behind the goals on both ends, never seems to be a problem for them. Well OSU is a bit now since their attendance is down the last couple years but in the past it's always been an advantage. The best is having them down on the floor as low as you can get them like Duke but next best is behind the goals.

OU students have no reason not to sell out the section every game with what they are doing.

We have. Both years that this has now been in place. We sold out the SS in 2 and a half days this years. Turnout was really good on Tuesday. The students are not the problem right now. Unfortunately, the students only make up around an 1/8th or so of the LNC population. I would like to get that to 1/6th in the next couple of years.

On tuesday, my group moved down to right behind the OU bench at halftime. It was pretty freaking sweet. I think we should try and get the student section there. Or right behind the visitors bench.

We have. Both years that this has now been in place. We sold out the SS in 2 and a half days this years. Turnout was really good on Tuesday. The students are not the problem right now. Unfortunately, the students only make up around an 1/8th or so of the LNC population. I would like to get that to 1/6th in the next couple of years.

Unless my memory is bad the student section extended from just short of mid-court on the opposite side of the stadium from the teams to almost the backboard on the non-tunnel side, both upper and lower decks. If you purchased a priority ticket you were allowed to sit in either the upper or lower deck and non-priority was only good for the upper deck. (I am positive about that priority thing)

I would not want to sit under/behind the backboard/baseline and inside of the sidelines. I think those are the worst seats in any arena. I am probably a bit different than most alumni but I think the entire University exists for the Students and we are simply fortunate to be able to share it with them. We had our time and it was great. Now it is someone else's turn.

Unless my memory is bad the student section extended from just short of mid-court on the opposite side of the stadium from the teams to almost the backboard on the non-tunnel side, both upper and lower decks. If you purchased a priority ticket you were allowed to sit in either the upper or lower deck and non-priority was only good for the upper deck. (I am positive about that priority thing)

I would not want to sit under/behind the backboard/baseline and inside of the sidelines. I think those are the worst seats in any arena. I am probably a bit different than most alumni but I think the entire University exists for the Students and we are simply fortunate to be able to share it with them. We had our time and it was great. Now it is someone else's turn.

I totally agree, and as a donor, would have no problems with students receiving some really choice seats on the floor. Unfortunately I can also see the opposite side in that those floor seats are cash cows for the athletic department.

In addition, I would contend that the LNC isn't really set up around the floor for student seating besides behind the baskets...very shallow slope. I think the athletic department is doing the best with all the current variables in place.

Personally, I liked the student seats when I was a freshman more than I did by the time I was in graduate school. When I was a freshman, a student could get some danged good seats. Of course, you had to get there earlier, but I remember going 1.5-2 hours prior to tipoff to get good seats for games like Texas, Oklahoma State, etc...

Personally, I liked the student seats when I was a freshman more than I did by the time I was in graduate school. When I was a freshman, a student could get some danged good seats. Of course, you had to get there earlier, but I remember going 1.5-2 hours prior to tipoff to get good seats for games like Texas, Oklahoma State, etc...

We did too, although two hours was super early. I would say back in the 90-94 era you could get to the game 30 minutes early and maybe an hour for big games like OSU and KU. Texas was not really a big game in basketball back then and only came to Norman every other year.

From '93 to 2004 (or so) (and maybe before) the student section was as you described from the section even with the free-throw line opposite side of the opposing team's bench to the section just behind the basket. "Kelvin's Krew" was on the floor until one of them "attacked" a KU player. After that they were pushed back to what is currently "the floor seats" for students. In 2004ish, attendance from students dropped so much that they started selling the students seats at the box office. Students would go down to find a person assigned the general admission student seating. The university decided that it was more profitable to cut the number of student tickets and move the section. Thus, students lost about 2,000 quality seats. The student section was never split during this time.

Back