Summer notes

Think the fan base sank with the early loss to Sam Houston State and never recovered.
Got to win those type of games early on to energize both the team and the fans.
Need a really good start to the season to build some momentum or the grumbling will endure the entire season.

Lol

I used to come on the site all the time but haven’t much in the last few years… I thought I would read this thread because it looked like we were going to be getting some good information, and we did… That’s a great quote from the Twitter guy, he clearly knows something. It doesn’t matter if it turns out accurate or not, but you guys are right. I’ve never seen such negativity and it’s so off putting it basically ruins the site for many people. It’s not like everybody that doesn’t post here doesn’t know all the stuff that’s happened in OU basketball over the last 10, 20, 30, go back 40+ years in my case. This is a joke, the egos (“well you don’t follow basketball…”)… such idiocy. I really appreciate CoachTalk and what he brings to this site. Why anyone would criticize that tells us more than enough about those people.

I used to come on the site all the time but haven’t much in the last few years… I thought I would read this thread because it looked like we were going to be getting some good information, and we did… That’s a great quote from the Twitter guy, he clearly knows something. It doesn’t matter if it turns out accurate or not, but you guys are right. I’ve never seen such negativity and it’s so off putting it basically ruins the site for many people. It’s not like everybody that doesn’t post here doesn’t know all the stuff that’s happened in OU basketball over the last 10, 20, 30, go back 40+ years in my case. This is a joke, the egos (“well you don’t follow basketball…”)… such idiocy. I really appreciate CoachTalk and what he brings to this site. Why anyone would criticize that tells us more than enough about those people.

This

If that’s the level of what you’d call relevant or Intelligent, then I say again, God help you.

What’s next? Quoting Taylor swift? Lady Gaga?

Surely you have something better to be upset about than to get your panties in a wad about someone quoting a quote, in jest, from a comedian that you don't like?

Get a life dude.

I might quote Jim Gaffigan, Steve Trevino or Dave Chapelle too.....maybe some day I'll quote someone you think is funny. Sometimes I find sarcastic quips humorous...even occasional ones from comedians I don't normally like. Doesn't mean I'm going on an internet tirade because someone else thinks a quote is funny or as relevant as your personal opinion.

Based on summer info so far, which team is more likely to make the tournament next season OU men or Ou women?
Both are in rebuilding stages.

Based on summer info so far, which team is more likely to make the tournament next season OU men or Ou women?

Would be hard to pick against the women's team that has been there the past two seasons. Definitely some players to replace, but Jennie Baranczyk has been outstanding.

The women. JB inherited a sinking ship and got it on track day one. She's awesome.

As we get closer to the season, I'll be curious to learn about the following:
1. Who is the team leader among the players?
2. How will we split ball-handling between McCollum and Uzan?
3. Can we be competitive during stretches that neither Moore nor Hugley is on the floor?
4. Does Moore have enough lateral agility to allow us to switch 1 through 4 on defense against good teams?

These may be not be answered until the games start, but these are my curiosities based on highlight videos and the few updates we've had (which I'm very thankful to CoachTalk for providing btw!).

4. Does Moore have enough lateral agility to allow us to switch 1 through 4 on defense against good teams?

Moore will be plenty quick to switch 1-4. That is probably his biggest asset. The question will be is he big/strong/tough enough to bang inside a little. He is 1 inch taller than Hill, but he is lighter. He'll do fine there against teams that play smaller, but the Big 12 has enough teams that are still pretty big at that spot, that I suspect he'll struggle defending/rebounding in those games.

We'll see.

The women. JB inherited a sinking ship and got it on track day one. She's awesome.

Yep. Seems an obvious answer. With the success they have had the past two years, and the style they play, their arrow is pointing straight up.

I don't pretend to be an expert, and would defer to others, but her are my guesses just for fun:

1. Who is the team leader among the players?

No clue, but it's set up well for Milos. He may be more of a lead by example than vocal leader.

2. How will we split ball-handling between McCollum and Uzan?

I would imagine that one or the other will be on the court during almost all meaningful minutes. My guess is that it's more Milos when both share the court.

3. Can we be competitive during stretches that neither Moore nor Hugley is on the floor?

Yes, that's the million dollar question. I've said before that we have enough redundancies in the lineup that we aren't dependent on any one incoming player to be a hit -- Hugley is that exception. If Uzan and Hugley are both healthy and play reasonably close to their potential, it's hard to see this team not being an NCAA tournament team. If Hugley struggles or gets injured, it's pretty easy to see this being Moser's last year with us.

Yaya being a quality player that is healthy would be an incredibly welcome suprise. That would do wonders for this team. If Hugley is playing well, though, it's easy to see Godwin eating up 10 quality minutes. He did that a decent amount last season. I'm not terribly optimistic about Norweather's contributions this season, but again, if Hugley can give us a quality 30 minutes, I'm not terribly worried about finding a guy to fill the last 10.

I'm not as worried about what we have behind Moore at the 4 if the 5 position is solid. They are all undersized, but between Soares, Oweh, Cooper, and Cole, we can find quality players for those minutes. It would be a huge concern if we had final 4 aspirations, but not so much for a team who is just shooting for a tournament appearance.

I haven't seen enough, but it sounds like it. Maybe not a great matchup, but good enough that teams wouldn't frequently seek that out. I'd be more worried about McCollum switching onto the other team's 4. Not as worried about switching with guys like Oweh, Soares, and Cooper.

I don't pretend to be an expert, and would defer to others, but her are my guesses just for fun:

No clue, but it's set up well for Milos. He may be more of a lead by example than vocal leader.

I would imagine that one or the other will be on the court during almost all meaningful minutes. My guess is that it's more Milos when both share the court.

Yes, that's the million dollar question. I've said before that we have enough redundancies in the lineup that we aren't dependent on any one incoming player to be a hit -- Hugley is that exception. If Uzan and Hugley are both healthy and play reasonably close to their potential, it's hard to see this team not being an NCAA tournament team. If Hugley struggles or gets injured, it's pretty easy to see this being Moser's last year with us.

Yaya being a quality player that is healthy would be an incredibly welcome suprise. That would do wonders for this team. If Hugley is playing well, though, it's easy to see Godwin eating up 10 quality minutes. He did that a decent amount last season. I'm not terribly optimistic about Norweather's contributions this season, but again, if Hugley can give us a quality 30 minutes, I'm not terribly worried about finding a guy to fill the last 10.

I'm not as worried about what we have behind Moore at the 4 if the 5 position is solid. They are all undersized, but between Soares, Oweh, Cooper, and Cole, we can find quality players for those minutes. It would be a huge concern if we had final 4 aspirations, but not so much for a team who is just shooting for a tournament appearance.

I haven't seen enough, but it sounds like it. Maybe not a great matchup, but good enough that teams wouldn't frequently seek that out. I'd be more worried about McCollum switching onto the other team's 4. Not as worried about switching with guys like Oweh, Soares, and Cooper.

very good analysis ..

Cole in a walking boot. Idk if ankle or foot. Haven’t heard anything major. Just FYI

So we have 11 scholarship players for practice. Wish him a speedy recovery. I assume there will be no further action for OU in the portal?

There is an ignore feature on this site. I use it often. It makes the threads infinitely more readable.

If that’s the level of what you’d call relevant or Intelligent, then I say again, God help you.

What’s next? Quoting Taylor swift? Lady Gaga?

Silverman at PG
Lady Gaga at SG
Taylor Swift at SF
Katy Perry at C

OMG we need a PF!

Back