Switch has finally been flipped at Lloyd Noble >>> Tulsa World

That nova game was one of my saddest moments as an OU basketball fan. It had very little to do with getting beat like a drum by Nardi and Scottie Reynolds. It was more the fact at how pathetic the crowd was....sad times.

Agreed. I went into that game thinking the crowd would be good because Nova was good and Scottie Reynolds was there. But it was just sad.

i realize the purpose of this article is to bring attention to the fact that things have indeed changed dramatically in Capel's tenure. but i think it's a little erroneous to quote a coach making an erroneous attendance statement.

the official attendance for that game was 9,772.

i wasnt there and im sure it was a meager crowd, but they sure didnt juice the figures by over 6,000 seats.

It was probably close to 7000 who were there, but it was lackluster.

It was less than 7 and it was terrrible. There were maybe 5K in there that night. It was less than half full for sure.

cosmic,

They didn't do estimated/scanned attendance that season. They just printed the tickets sold. So yes, it was often that the reported number was far (several thousands) less that what was actually there.

That nova game was one of my saddest moments as an OU basketball fan. It had very little to do with getting beat like a drum by Nardi and Scottie Reynolds. It was more the fact at how pathetic the crowd was....sad times.

Yeah, that was certainly one of the low points of fan attendance at the LNC. The other one was the Texas game Blake's freshman year. I believe that was a 6 p.m. start on a Wednesday night, and the place was half-empty at tip.

But what I think is important about Taylor's quote though, is the fact that when the LNC is packed and the crowd is into the game it's a really, really nice atmosphere.

Our first year here, everybody talked about 'Upgrade your nonconference schedule and we'll show up.' Well, we played Villanova on ESPN, and we probably had 3,000 people here.

I think what the coach was saying was..The OKC, Moore, Norman area is too big to have a small crowd with a big game.

there might have been 5,000 at the villanova game. that's what made the socal game so nice. the place just kept filling even though the game was at six.

there might have been 5,000 at the villanova game. that's what made the socal game so nice. the place just kept filling even though the game was at six.

I agree. It as amazing to watch it go from 7 to 10K after the tip.

I lived in Dallas at the time and drove up for the Nova game with my son and business partner. I was shocked at the attendance.

I hadn't been to an OU game in years because frankly Sampson's teams had no talent and his style was terribly boring. I was excited to see the new guy and his young team play against Reynolds.

It was at a minimum 2/3 empty. I guarantee you there were 2 empty seats for every seat with a butt in it.

I was at the Nova game and was just disgusted at the lack of support for our team against a top 15 team.

The USC game and even Davidson game this year were both packed and loud with the crowd into it pretty much the whole time, an amazing thing considering where we were a couple years ago...A lot of the credit should go to Capel for what he has done.

Back