Terrence Jones write-up >>> Seattletimes.com

GParker

Reaction score
Source

It was an amazing dream.

Terrence Jones, a 6-foot-9 University of Washington recruiting wish with extraterrestrial basketball powers, graced the court at Edmundson Pavilion on Monday and put on a show that made you understand just how good he'd look in a Huskies jersey.

Showing no emotion, Jones didn't so much play the game as he dissected it. He influenced the action in every way imaginable, handling both the spectacular and the fundamental with ease, guiding Portland's Jefferson High School to a 62-58 victory over Federal Way, the finest squad in Washington state.

He is, without question, an ideal talent for the Huskies' uptempo style. He is position-less or position-full, depending how you view it, a guard in a forward's body, a player capable of anchoring a defense inside and running an offense in the half-court.

And since Washington is one of a handful of teams (Kentucky, Oklahoma, Oregon and UCLA are the others) still on Jones' list, you can close your eyes and envision him showcasing his versatile game in purple and gold.

Wow, he looked like he belonged on this court. He looked like he could help the Huskies right now. En route to 22 points, nine rebounds and eight blocks — his coach, Pat Strickland, said that "his numbers were actually kind of low" — Jones flashed an array of diverse skills during the King Holiday Hoopfest. He was announced as a guard, and during the game, he often led the fast break and helped the Democrats beat the Federal Way press. He owned the paint, especially on defense. His offensive repertoire included power dunks and feathery floaters.

Jones isn't a super athlete, and that makes him all the more impressive. His game is about skill. If he were 6-foot-2, he'd still have the attention of college recruiters.

Impressed yet? The Huskies certainly are. The coaching staff, including head coach Lorenzo Romar and assistant Jim Shaw, watched Jones closely. They're so close, at least in theory, to landing a top-20 recruit, a kind of impact player who could complete a very good 2010-11 roster. At the same time, when you're competing with Kentucky and UCLA for a player, you can never be overconfident.

For what it's worth, Jones enjoyed his first experience at Hec Ed.

"Yeah, I had some nerves, but I just wanted to win," Jones said. "I didn't know what to expect, but it was great. I liked playing here."

Asked why Washington is one of the five finalists for his services, Jones said: "Every school doesn't have a coach Romar. He's such an incredible coach and person, on and off the court. For so many kids, he's like a father figure. And when I came here for my visit, I realized it's just a family atmosphere. The players are real close and joke around a lot."

A crowd of about 5,000 fans saw Jones' understated game. He's an interesting player. All eyes can be on him, and he can impress, but you don't fully grasp how good he is until you look at the stat sheet and realize how completely he affects the game.

In college, some of his versatility will be limited. A good coach will have him focus more on his strengths, but he shouldn't be stifled. Jones projects to be a perimeter-oriented power forward. It's where his skills can be best utilized, and with the dearth of big men in today's game, there's a demand for long, athletic forwards who play all over the court.

"I have no set position on the team," Jones said. "I just do whatever coach Strickland says."

Strickland has come to expect Jones to put up 35 points, grab 18 rebounds and block six shots. So, on Monday, his numbers really were low. But they weren't any less meaningful.

Most kids in Jones' situation would've forced the issue to prove they're worthy of the hype. Jones let the game come to him against a good defensive Federal Way squad. He credited the Eagles with making the game difficult for him, but he looked smooth and under control.

"That's him," Strickland said. "He thrives off getting his teammates involved. I've been surprised he's scoring a lot this year because he's so unselfish. He approaches every game the same. He's a workhorse. He wants to play and battle. And he takes everything in stride. He's not the type of kid who gets stressed."

Jones will make his college decision during the spring signing period. There are some rumblings that he might not qualify academically and could enroll in a prep school, but as of now, he plans on attending college next season.

Watching him at Hec Ed on Monday was an amazing dream. With some luck, it might come true.

They allude to his skills at getting his teammates involved and he has frequently played point for his team because of this. His passing skills are supposedly as good a part of his game as anything else.

Capel needs to put in overtime with this kid and show him and his family how and when he would use him not tell them take them to a court and put the vision in their head.

Capel needs to put in overtime with this kid and show him and his family how and when he would use him not tell them take them to a court and put the vision in their head.

Even easier, send game tape of a bunch of good plays that Tony Croker makes; that is the role that I could see T.J. excelling in...we'll let you get down low and fight for rebounds, let you hand out around the perimeter to shoot threes, and let you take it to the rim if the opportunity is there. If I was a PF/SF type, I'd love that role.

Even easier, send game tape of a bunch of good plays that Tony Croker makes; that is the role that I could see T.J. excelling in...we'll let you get down low and fight for rebounds, let you hand out around the perimeter to shoot threes, and let you take it to the rim if the opportunity is there. If I was a PF/SF type, I'd love that role.

Man, I would love to see Jones playing this role next year. Oh my oh my.

Can Jones play defense?

Since Crocker is playing the 4 in this line up, Clark would be taking Willie's starting spot and Cade would move to the 2.
PG TMG
SG Cade
SF Cameron
PF Terrance
C Tiny.

where would u move the kid Clark if tjones come in to take crocker spot?

Crocker is essentially playing as our second big man at the 4 right now on offense and defense (same role that Taylor Griffin played last year) so Jones would be the 4. Clark would be the 3, IMO. Clark doesn't want to guard the 4 does he?

where would u move the kid Clark if tjones come in to take crocker spot?

TJones is a unique talent. He's a guy that can get a rebound and start a break. His court vision is like a pg. Personally, if I were coaching him, I would move him around alot and search for matchup advantages. If we were to play against the Morris Twins or Acy, I might throw a little one four on those guys with him at the top of the key. Let him drive, force those guys to move their feet in space and find one of our shooters on the wing if nothing is there. Your talking about being on the floor with Tiny, Cade/pledger, Clark, and TMG and having those guys to funnel the ball to. You can play him at the three, kind of like what Baylor does with Jones, and he'll be able to knock down shots over people if he shores up his shooting, or you could have him posting some of these shorter wings. Offensively, the senarios are endless.

His game and Clark's game counter each others very well. Clark is not overly strong off of the drive, but his mid range game, and long distance game is pretty nice. Clark has ability to be a prolific spot up shooter. Jones isn't a prolific outside threat right now, but is very strong off of the drive, can rebound and trigger a break off of the rebound and push, He's excellent at attacking the baseline, and has good court vision and passing skills. Both guy will get a tip in dunk or two. Also, imagine the pressure both guys could put in the passing lane. That is something that we're not getting at all. If you put them in the game with Cade, we could put alot of pressure in the passing lanes and make it very tough for teams to get into their half court sets. That will help Tiny and TMG.

I never said it wouldnt work if tjones came in just did not know where the kid Clark,would play but thanks for the info and they will play well together,the whole 2010 class of kids are so humble and deserving the ones i met are and i met alot of them.

I'm really excited about how well this year's team is beginning to come together. Hopefully the improvements we've seen on defense in the past three games will continue and the squad can make a run at the tourney. But does anyone else feel like if we get Jones that OU could be a top ten, maybe a top five team next year?

I'm not sure if I should expect OU to have a good shot at getting him or not; but Capel has proven that he can bring in the big fish so why not? I just really feel that if OU can get another big who has serious game and plays well with others, the sky is the limit for what this team could do.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

I'm really excited about how well this year's team is beginning to come together. Hopefully the improvements we've seen on defense in the past three games will continue and the squad can make a run at the tourney. But does anyone else feel like if we get Jones that OU could be a top ten, maybe a top five team next year?

I'm not sure if I should expect OU to have a good shot at getting him or not; but Capel has proven that he can bring in the big fish so why not? I just really feel that if OU can get another big who has serious game and plays well with others, the sky is the limit for what this team could do.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

In my opinion if we had jones this year we would be a top ten team. I really feel that is all we are missing off this team. Having the ability to bump crocker back to the three spot really would improve our defense

It's settled, then. Let's go out and ink TJ in the spring signing period. :)

Since Crocker is playing the 4 in this line up, Clark would be taking Willie's starting spot and Cade would move to the 2.
PG TMG
SG Cade
SF Cameron
PF Terrance
C Tiny.

That is a really good starting line-up. Especially with Pledger and Taylor coming off the bench. All we would need is inside depth. I love the possibility of being a shut-down team from the perimeter with that line-up. Plus having 5 guys who can score from anywhere on the floor. Scary good.

Back