Texas Tech has an underrated recruiting class

thebigabd

Reaction score
Keep in mind they add these guys to Roberson, Singletary, Lewandowski, Cook, and Okorie. I know that Pat Knight is really excited about these guys, and feels like he is adding the experience and ability he needs to win... Their average recruit grade is a 90, while OU's is a 93 (for example)...

I think Tech is going to have a high-flying, high-scoring backcourt next year with Roberson, Okorie, Jenkins, Reese, Tairu, and Crockett. That is a lot of size and athletic ability, and they can all shoot except Crockett.

Now, we have no idea if they will play good basketball or play any defense..

They have talent, but I still rank them low (for now) because they were so bad and had pretty good talent last year, although they were very young..

Theron Jenkins (6'6'' 211-Juco)- 91 RECRUITING GRADE FROM ESPN....Jenkins has a big-time body and is a solid athlete. He shoots well with range to 3pt. He is fluid off the dribble and gets to the basket. He defends well and has quick feet. He finishes well at the basket/rim and mixes in a good mid range pullup game. He also rebounds well for his size.

David Tairu (6'3'' 185-Juco)- 91 RECRUITING GRADE FROM ESPN.... Tauiru has big-time athleticism and posses a nice mid range game. He can get to the rim or hit the pull-up jumper. He rebounds well from the guard position. He is really active defender. He shoots the 3 ball. Averaged 17.5 ppg and 4.4 rpg as a sophomore at South Plains. Shot 46% from the 3pt line.

Brad Reese (6'6'' 200-Juco)- 94 RECRUITING GRADE FROM ESPN
... Averaged 16ppg & 4rpg last year at Gulf Coast. He played very well this summer at Jerry Mullen's CCN Top 120 JUCO camp in Tulsa. He is a terrific 3pt shooter who is athletic and has a big wing span. He has great agility which he uses well to get to the basket. He needs strength to improve is in-between/pull up game to impact at high major level.

Jaye Crockett (6'7'' 205)- 88 RECRUITING GRADE FROM ESPN... This young senior just turned 17 years old in October so the upside factor could be off the charts. Crockett is very athletic and possesses an extra long wing span. He excels in transition where he finishes above the rim. He is a good ball handler and passer that will help transition to the small forward position when he arrives in Lubbock. Crockett has range to the arc on his jumper and can post smaller defenders and shoot over them with ease. He is also a live body on the offensive glass where he gets a number of athletic put back baskets.

Mike Davis (6'3'' 180)- 86 RECRUITING GRADE FROM ESPN... Davis is a high energy combination guard that competes. He plays in a relentless pressing high school system that he excels in. Davis is strong, physical and looks to score first. He can get to the rim in transition and is strong enough to finish through contact. He can knock down the open three and he likes to space to the corners when there is penetration.

Last edited:
The funny thing is you're high on their recruiting class, abd. I actually think they have an underrated returning roster.

The funny thing is you're high on their recruiting class, abd. I actually think they have an underrated returning roster.

I think they do too, they have no excuse not to win next year... They should be one of the best offensive teams in the league. They have really good offensive players on the perimeter and in the paint. If they dont win next year it may be time to get rid of Knight, because it isnt a talent issue.

There top 3 signees are juco guys. That is what has me skeptical.

There top 3 signees are juco guys. That is what has me skeptical.

Pat Knight is trying to make Texas Tech a place where all the best jucos want to go. They did not settle with these guys, in fact, these are all the guys they wanted. He said he wants 2-3 of the best jucos every year, and then hopefully land some top Texas targets here and there as well.

I'm not scared of, nor would I be excited about Texas Tech's returning players or incoming recruits.

They don't have a single player on their roster that was more than a 3-star recruit acording to the rivals.com database. The last 4-star guy they got was 4 years ago, a guy named Dior Lowhorn who transferred to San Fransisco and turned out to be a heck of a player.

Neither Bob, nor Pat Knight have brought in the type of talent the past 4 years to compete in the South against Texas, Oklahoma, A&M or even OSU/Baylor the way Ford/Drew are recruiting lately.

3-13 last year and losing their best shooter in Voskul does not set up well for next year

I don't think recruiting rankings matter a whole lot after a player has had a chance to actualy play college ball. I do think the higher rated guys are more likely to work out than the lower rated guys, but once they step on campus and actually play, I think their play speaks for itself.

Okorie and Roberson can clearly play at very respectable level for the Big XII. I did not see three star recruits, I saw double digit scorers.

I'm not scared of, nor would I be excited about Texas Tech's returning players or incoming recruits.

They have 4 legit players returning with Okorie (12 ppg), John Roberson (14.4 ppg), Mike Singletary (11.1 ppg), and Lewandowski (7 ppg as true freshman)... They also return Trevor Cook who got hurt midway through the season, but he is a 6'9'' guy who had some 20+ point games and some double digit scoring games before going down with injury. He had 24 against Pitt.

The 3 jucos are all big, athletic, and are all noted 3pt shooters. It is the perfect group of players to add to their returning roster. They will get production from all the above, and the new jucos will add athletic ability and shooting to that.

Seems like you guys are much more familiar with Tech's roster than I am. For some reason, other than Roberson these Tech players are just not very memorable to me. For example, I was at the OU/Texas Tech game in Norman when Okorie scored 24 points and don't remember even noticing him that day.

If Tech is as improved as you guys think, then the Big 12 south is going to be very tough.

Seems like you guys are much more familiar with Tech's roster than I am. For some reason, other than Roberson these Tech players are just not very memorable to me. For example, I was at the OU/Texas Tech game in Norman when Okorie scored 24 points and don't remember even noticing him that day.

If Tech is as improved as you guys think, then the Big 12 south is going to be very tough.

That's the truth. The sad thing is that Tech, despite the improvement, probably won't finish any higher than 9th in the league with a decent chance at being 11th (behind Colorado)

That's the truth. The sad thing is that Tech, despite the improvement, probably won't finish any higher than 9th in the league with a decent chance at being 11th (behind Colorado)

I agree... Unless they can play defense and rebound they wont finish in the top 8. They have talent to beat anyone on their home court, but they were AWFUL on the road last year and Pat Knight is on the verge of losing the fans. Some of their crowds were pathetic last year.

Pat Knight is trying to make Texas Tech a place where all the best jucos want to go. They did not settle with these guys, in fact, these are all the guys they wanted.

That's all well and good, but I'm very thankful that we longer depend so much on Juco players to come in and make an immediate impact. It seemed they always contributed but were gone before we could build a team around their talents... maybe that's misguided but whatever. It made the Tim Heskett's seem like 7-year vets.

Also, we've all witnessed that the Juco ranks are not even close to what they used to be. How do these basketball "Prep" schools receive their accreditation anyway?

Back