The 2011-12 season could be a big year

Sooner23

Reaction score
If Tiny is still here that could be a year we make a run, but there is still work to do on the recruiting trail. Here is what we'll have though.......

Seniors: Juco big (signed this fall), juco guard (signed this fall), Willis, Honore
Juniors: Tiny, TMG, Pledger, Fitz, Hardrick
Sophomores: Taylor, Clark
Freshmen: ???

Of the players listed above, 10 are on scholarship. So there are two more pieces to be added to the puzzle. I'm also assuming we're going to sign a juco guard and at least one juco big this fall, who are listed in the senior category.

If Capel hits on the jucos he signs in the late period this spring, we should be back in the dance next year (I'm going to guess in the 4 seed range) and then be primed for a big run in 2011-12 with the solid corp of Tiny, TMG, Pledger, Fitz, Taylor and Clark each with 1-2 years experience under their belt. Then throw in the jucos with a year under their belt, and any impact freshmen we sign, and that looks to be a pretty stout team.

Of course, Capel has to find solid, not great, but solid jucos this spring to come fill in. Terrence Jones would obviously do out of the high school ranks, but I think the jucos are more realistic. And a lot of it hinges on Tiny coming back for a third year and the even better player he could be with two more years of conditioning/weight training and experience. Right now NBADraft.net has him going 17th in the 2011 draft.

Again, a lot of ifs and assumptions being made here, but I think the corp superstars are there with TMG, Tiny, Clark and some solid players surrounding them in Pledger, TJ and Fitz. If Capel can add 3-4 more solid pieces over the next two signing periods, then that could be a very, very good team.

Agree, disagree or flame away. :)

PS: It would be appreciated if someone with more recruiting knowledge fill us in on the potential juniors we could land next fall and impact the team in 11-12.

Last edited:
Re: The 2012-13 season could be a big year

Wouldn't that be 11-12?
As Clark and TJ will be freshman in the 10-11 season?
And Tiny, TMG, Pledger, etc will be JRs in 11-12

Tiny, TMG =
Freshman 2009-10
Sophomores in 2010-11
Juniors 2011-12
Seniors 2012-13
Right?

Who says we won't make the dance this year? Our RPI is up to #77 with lots of conference games left. We have lost to teams that fill it up from 3 and there aren't many Big XII teams who fit that bill.

As for jucos ... no way Capel should abandon building a real program the right way with 4 year players.

Wouldn't that be 11-12?
As Clark and TJ will be freshman in the 10-11 season?
And Tiny, TMG, Pledger, etc will be JRs in 11-12

Tiny, TMG =
Freshman 2009-10
Sophomores in 2010-11
Juniors 2011-12
Seniors 2012-13
Right?

Yep, I fail. It would be the 11-12 year. I'll make the edit.

Who says we won't make the dance this year?

HIGHLY unlikely.

I wish we could, but I don't see it. Probably takes 10-6 to get us in, though 9-7 "may" do it.

Say we win 3 of the next 4, which won't be easy.

That gives us two losses, with the following left to play:

vs UT
vs TT
@ OSU
@ Colorado
vs KSU
@ KU
vs Baylor
@ UT
vs aTm

We will be favored in probably 3 of those games. I just don't see 5 wins likely out of that group, and that ASSUMES we win 3 of the next 4, which will be tough.

Not impossible, but very unlikely. Unlikely enough that I'd wager on it.

Who says we won't make the dance this year? Our RPI is up to #77 with lots of conference games left. We have lost to teams that fill it up from 3 and there aren't many Big XII teams who fit that bill.

As for jucos ... no way Capel should abandon building a real program the right way with 4 year players.

SDSU had an RPI of like 32 last year and didn't make the dance.
77 isn't CLOSE.

SDSU had an RPI of like 32 last year and didn't make the dance.
77 isn't CLOSE.

SDSU doesn't play in this year's big 12 conference. 9-7 is a bubble record. 10-6 is a guarantee bid, especially with a win in the conference tournament.

SDSU doesn't play in this year's big 12 conference. 9-7 is a bubble record. 10-6 is a guarantee bid, especially with a win in the conference tournament.

My thoughts exactly.
:pattillostuff

9-7 simply won't do it with our non-conf performance. That would put us at 18-12, with at least two bad losses (Houston, utep) to teams outisde the rpi top 100 and one horrible loss to a team (San Diego) outside the top 150 that could very well be outside the top 200 by the end of the year. That's not a tournament resume. Not even close.

If we jumped 30 spots to 77 after beating missouri, playing the Big XII schedule and winning 7 more Big XII games will push us into the 40s for sure, 30s possibly.

I just keep focusing on the talent. Willie Warren is the best player in the conference. He is a winner. Never count that stud out. He won the title in high school, in AAU, was a key part of our elite 8 run last season.

Back