The First Time Coach has been in over his head

Switzer was also confused when he ran into players of limited character. How do you handle someone like that? You can only work with someone who is willing to work.

Switzer was also confused when he ran into players of limited character. How do you handle someone like that? You can only work with someone who is willing to work.

Good grief.

Last edited:
Bizarre assumptions. We aren't very good, therefore our players must have low character. That may be one of the most ridiculous statements ever made on this board.

Bizarre assumptions. We aren't very good, therefore our players must have low character. That may be one of the most ridiculous statements ever made on this board.

Our players don't have low character. I don't know if they really like playing together from what Capel has said and other things I've read.

What would you call it when your team leader (s) appear to make no effort to lead a team or act together as a team? Selfishness and self-indulgence are good character traits?

Hey, don't get me wrong. Coach is still learning. Just because I think he might be dealing with new things here doesn't mean I dont want him to be our coach.

He's our guy. I just believe he's really getting stretched and taxed right now. We'll get through it and be stronger for it eventually.

Great post.

I think a lot of it had to do with huge expectations based on different factors. You really have a roster that is full of talent but a lot of it is talent that still has quite a few flaws. You have a terrific freshman big man in Gallon who really has never been asked to play in the post. You have a great freshman PG who is only 5'8. You have Pledger and Fitzgerald who aren't quite ready to be thrust into a prime time role. Then you have your best player who is prone to some selfish play and streak shooting.

Combine all of that with a young team who seems like they are testing their coach and you have a really tough season on your hands. What separates good coaches from great ones is the ability to impose your will on your team year in and year out.

To be sure coolm, I know where you are at...there are just some folks that seem to want to rip Capel and his coaching ability and I am curious as to what their solution is.

To be sure coolm, I know where you are at...there are just some folks that seem to want to rip Capel and his coaching ability and I am curious as to what their solution is.

Maybe there isn't a solution this year? Because to me, clearly one of the following two things is true, and neither are fixable this year: 1) Capel simply isn't a very good coach/motivator, 2) Capel has recruited kids that aren't coachable.

Maybe there isn't a solution this year? Because to me, clearly one of the following two things is true, and neither are fixable this year: 1) Capel simply isn't a very good coach/motivator, 2) Capel has recruited kids that aren't coachable.

Well, if you think that (1) or (2) are absolutes, I suppose you are right; however, I take issue with (1) becuase I have seen otherwise in the past.

I'll give (2) more weight than (1).

I sure would like to have Scotty Reynolds and Damian James right now.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Coach is still learning. Just because I think he might be dealing with new things here doesn't mean I dont want him to be our coach.

He's our guy. I just believe he's really getting stretched and taxed right now. We'll get through it and be stronger for it eventually.

If he can't go .500 or better in conference play 100% of the time he is not my guy. i hate to say that but .500 is my minimum acceptable standard. I love what Capel says in interviews. I love his ability to land big recruit. I really hope he goes .500 so it is not an issue.

With that said, if I had to bet (and I don't bet pro or con on OU), I would say Capel is at best 6-10 or two games under .500.

PS - Coach Capel, please make me look lie a fool. In fact, I hope you make me look like the dumbest bast@rd in the history of sports fans.

They didn't want to be part of something special. They didn't want to be Sooners. Good riddance to them both.

Uhh, Reynolds has been to the Final Four with Villanova and James has a great shot at one with UT. I don't think being a part of something special was an issue.

Well, if you think that (1) or (2) are absolutes, I suppose you are right; however, I take issue with (1) becuase I have seen otherwise in the past.

I'll give (2) more weight than (1).

Please give me concrete examples of when you have seen otherwise.

If you say last year, I am going to respond why was Pattillo allowed to redshirt for a half a season. It is Jeff Capel's team. Jeff Capel decides who redshirts. If a player doesn't like the decision, pack up your bags and go somewhere else. If Capel made the decision, why did he change his mind?

Honestly, I can't point to a single game last season where great coaching won the game. Perhaps I just don't remember those games.

Please give me concrete examples of when you have seen otherwise.

If you say last year, I am going to respond why was Pattillo allowed to redshirt for a half a season. It is Jeff Capel's team. Jeff Capel decides who redshirts. If a player doesn't like the decision, pack up your bags and go somewhere else. If Capel made the decision, why did he change his mind?

Honestly, I can't point to a single game last season where great coaching won the game. Perhaps I just don't remember those games.

Syracuse was won because of great coaching.

Syracuse? Blake went for 30 pts and 14 rbs. Tony scored 28 on 6-11 shooting from 3. Oh, and the Cuse went 0-10 from 3 in the first half to put themselves in a hole.

This is not to say Capel has not made any great coaching decisions. Just don't think you can put the Syracuse game out there as one of them. I would look at something like the 2-3 OT game at West Virginia in 07-08 as a well-coached game. Many chances to give in and lose, yet the team kept scrapping back and found a way to pull that one out. I also think Blake fouled out of that game and wasn't on the floor at the end, which shows they weren't totally reliant on one individual.

Back