The Most #1 Seeds in NCAA History

StatGeek

Reaction score
I was listening to a radio broadcast of Syracuse's 1st round game when the commentator mentioned that this was Syracuse's 3rd #1 seed in school history. This really surprised me so I decided to look into the subject a little. After researching tournament seeding I discovered that OU is tied for 5th all-time with 5 #1 seeds in our history; only the who's who of college basketball have more. We also are tied for 2nd for the longest consecutive #1 seed streak in tourney history with 3 years in a row. Here is a list I compiled on the subject.

Rank Team (Number of 1 seeds)
1. North Carolina (14)
2. Duke (12)
2. Kansas (12)
4. Kentucky (11)
5. Arizona (5)
5. Georgetown (5)
5. Michigan State (5)
5. Oklahoma (5)
5. UCONN (5)
10. Depaul (4)
10. Ohio State (4)
10. UCLA (4)
13. Illinois (3)
13. Purdue (3)
13. Stanford (3)
13. St. John's (3)
13. Syracuse (3)
13. UNLV (3)
13. Virginia (3)
20. Arkansas (2)
20. Indiana (2)
20. Louisville (2)
20. LSU (2)
20. Memphis (2)
20. Michigan (2)
20. Pittsburgh (2)

Notables: Texas (1), Mizzou (1), OSU (0) not a jab, just an FYI Poke fans.

Here is the list of longest 1 seed streaks:

Rank (Streak) Years Team
1. (5) 1998-2002 Duke
2. (3) 1980-1982 Depaul
2. (3) 2004-2006 Duke
2. (3) 1995-1997 Kentucky
2. (3) 1999-2001 Michigan State
2. (3) 2007-2009 North Carolina
2. (3) 1988-1990 Oklahoma

Anyway I found this interesting and I thought I would share.

Last edited:
Nice work, SG, but you left the state's basketball school off the list. Surely our dear, dear friends to the north should appear on that list somewhere, no?

Nice work, SG, but you left the state's basketball school off the list. Surely our dear, dear friends to the north should appear on that list somewhere, no?

Neither Tulsa or OSU have ever been #1 seeds. It is important to note that seeding didn't start until 1979.

You write like such a douchebag. I don't mind talking smack to OSU, that's fine. I love good trash talk. But the way you phrase every post on this board is so faux-intellectual and lame that it reeks of an 11th grade honors English teacher's pet who tries to sound like the smartest a-hole in the room.

Oh btw the bit where you feign surprise that there must be a mistake someone wasn't mentioned - it's only witty when it hasn't already been mentioned by the opening poster.

You write like such a douchebag. I don't mind talking smack to OSU, that's fine. I love good trash talk. But the way you phrase every post on this board is so faux-intellectual and lame that it reeks of an 11th grade honors English teacher's pet who tries to sound like the smartest a-hole in the room.

Oh btw the bit where you feign surprise that there must be a mistake someone wasn't mentioned - it's only witty when it hasn't already been mentioned by the opening poster.

Overreact much? Who peed in your Cheerios?

I write the way I write; I don't strive for a particular style. And I've actually had a number of people on this board tell me, both publicly and privately, that they like my style of writing very much, so go figure. You can't please everyone all the time. Different strokes and all that.

Sorry it doesn't appeal to you, but I won't be changing it. That'd be more work than I care to put in. Perhaps you'll use the block tool so that you don't have to suffer through my future a-holish offerings.

You're right about the oswho mention in the original post, though. I completely missed that before responding. But another poster missed the Missouri mention, and you didn't have a problem with that, it seems. I guess it's the a-hole factor.

Last edited:

This coming from some clown who uses the word "dem" in his moniker.

If only we could be as cool as you.:facepalm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpXAknykeg[/ame]

Dear lord...rough night?

:eddie187_jpg_xs: times infinity

I notice UCLA has four after 1979. I'm sure you could add at least ten more and quite a few in a row.

Nice to see that about OU. I know most people poo poo it but I always felt that 1990 team could have beat UNLV(except for Rick F'ing Fox).

Wow, this thread certainly went in a direction I didn't anticipate.

Wow, this thread certainly went in a direction I didn't anticipate.

Well, that'll happen, you know, when a faux-intellectual, lame, 11th-grade honors English teacher's pet of a douchebag a-hole joins in the discussion.

I notice UCLA has four after 1979. I'm sure you could add at least ten more and quite a few in a row.

Nice to see that about OU. I know most people poo poo it but I always felt that 1990 team could have beat UNLV(except for Rick F'ing Fox).

I was just 9 when he did that to us, and I can remember where I was when he made that shot for some reason. But it started my dislike for him and anything Tarheel.

I was just 9 when he did that to us, and I can remember where I was when he made that shot for some reason. But it started my dislike for him and anything Tarheel.

Listened to this game in the van on the way to a Disney vacation when I was 11. We had to pull over so my stepdad could kick something. :)

Back