The next Britney Griner?

BlackwellSooner

Reaction score
Nancy Mulkey an emerging star by any measure
May 16, 2013 9:21 AM ET | By Harold GutmannSpecial to espnW
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0515/espnw_e_mulkey11_576.jpg

Nancy MulkeyCourtesy Jason Fochtman/Houston Community NewspapersAs a freshman this past season, Nancy Mulkey averaged 9.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.6 blocks per game.

When Cypress Woods (Texas) girls' basketball coach Virginia Flores heard that a 6-foot-9 freshman had moved from Bowling Green, Ky., and enrolled at her high school, she tried to temper her excitement.

Size, even that much size, isn't everything. Flores was reserving judgment until she saw Nancy Mulkey with a basketball.

That opportunity came last fall, when basketball coaches from the University of Texas watched Mulkey go through a workout after volleyball practice. It was then that Flores knew there was much more to Mulkey than just her height.
[+] EnlargeNancy MulkeyCourtesy Dolores MulkeyNancy Mulkey is hoping to gain a spot on the USA Basketball U16 team that will play in the 2013 FIBA Americas U16 Championship in June in Mexico.

"Most people told me that when you grow too fast for your age, your coordination doesn't have time to catch up with you," said Mulkey, who has grown almost nine inches in the past two years. "But they told me my coordination is good for how tall and fast I grew."

The coaches at Texas weren't the only people who noticed. Mulkey was one of 33 players who accepted an invitation to attend the 2013 USA Basketball U16 national team trials, which begin next week at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. The team will play in the 2013 FIBA Americas U16 Championship June 19-23 in Cancun, Mexico.

"Nancy has a nice shot. She knows how to dribble," Flores said. "Even if she was a 5-8 freshman or a 4-8 freshman, she comes in fundamentally very sound. But to be 6-8 or 6-9 and come in so fundamentally sound -- it's amazing what you're able to do with someone that tall."

Mulkey thought she was in trouble when she was told to report to the coaches' offices at Cy Woods recently. Instead, they were all smiles when they handed her an envelope with "USA" on it.

Mulkey is four inches taller than any other invitee. The height that used to be a frustration now has become an asset.

"At first I didn't like it because I always wanted to fit in with other kids, and I always got made fun of because I was different than everybody else," Mulkey said.

The turning point came in seventh grade.

"Everybody got used to seeing me," Mulkey said. "At first when you see a tall person you always want to tell them, 'Oh my gosh, you're so tall' and stuff. As the year went on they're just like, 'Oh, she's just another person.'"

Her height -- she said she's approaching 6-10 and still growing -- remains annoying when it comes to buying clothes, but she's using it to her advantage on the court.

"[Opponents] just stare at me," Mulkey said. "I guess I just intimidate them. I don't have a problem with intimidating them."

The freshman averaged 9.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.6 blocks a game this past season, including a triple-double of 16 points, 13 rebounds and 10 blocks in a 53-37 win over a Cypress Falls team that finished 21-14 and made the state tournament.

While some tall people are forced into basketball, Mulkey enjoys the sport. Her favorite hobby is going to the gym to develop her basketball skills, and she works out to build her strength.
[+] EnlargeCypress WoodsCourtesy girlzprepreport.comNancy Mulkey is 6-foot-9 -- and still growing. She has no problem intimidating opposing players with her height.

Mulkey also has plenty of role models around her -- her mother, 6-7 Dolores Bootz-Mulkey, is Georgia Tech's school record-holder in scoring average (18.9), career field goal percentage (59.3) and blocked shots (245). Her aunt, 6-7 Barbara Bootz, played for Georgia and was a member of the USA Women's U19 world championship roster.

Mulkey's 19-year-old brother, John, is 7 feet tall, and her 14-year-old brother, Allan, is 6-9.

And Mulkey is still figuring out how good she can be. When Cy Woods went up against Manvel and 6-3 Brianna Turner, the No. 3 prospect in the espnW HoopGurlz Super 60 for the 2014 class, Flores told Mulkey to note how Turner takes advantage of her size.

Mulkey not only got a pen and pad and started taking notes on the bench, she also turned to an assistant and said, "I wish I was that big."

"And we looked over like, 'You are bigger than her! You have no clue!'" Flores said. "I think she's starting to get that she's a presence on the court, and there's something special about her."

But there are other times when her youth has come in handy. Against Cy Falls, a district rival, Flores said some on the team seemed a bit intimidated. Mulkey then got a rebound, dribbled it the length of the court, pulled up for a jumper at the free throw line and scored.

"I was just like, 'What is going on here?'" Flores said. "She's competitive, and she loves the game. But at the same time I had to keep in mind this kid didn't turn 15 until February."

Mulkey's size certainly makes everyone pay attention at first -- it brought Texas to Cy Woods before she even stepped on the basketball court and has drawn Baylor to check out her game as well. But it's her ability, work ethic and competitiveness that's holding everyone's interest.

Not to mention her modesty.

"Honestly," Mulkey said. "I don't know how my name got out there so fast."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/hoopgurlz/...ing-more-6-foot-9-frame-usa-basketball-trials

I wonder if there is any blood relationship between Nancy and Kim? Speaking of blood, man, height REALLY runs in her family!

And who is going to wind up with her in a few years?

There is a thread on the Baylor board about Nancy Mulkey in which it is stated that there is no relationship between Kim and Nancy...

Dungee will be at the trails with her. Maybe she can help bring her to OU.

I hate it when someone says "She's the next so and so."

She's the first Nancy Mulkey.

I hate it when someone says "She's the next so and so."

She's the first Nancy Mulkey.

Point well made. The only reason i titled the thread as I did was the towering, physical similarity. Let's face it, you don't see female players above 6'7" very often - - heck 6'6" and above is rare!
This gal is 6'9" and only a sophomore! If she has any kind of physical coordination to go with her stature, she will be something special, although I am sure that wherever sshe winds up, she will need to add some bulk and strength...

We need to start in on her, immediately. I feel like she could establish a good rapport with Sherri. I can't see her playing for Kim at Baylor. Hurry before Gary Blair nabs her!

We need to start in on her, immediately. I feel like she could establish a good rapport with Sherri. I can't see her playing for Kim at Baylor. Hurry before Gary Blair nabs her!

Interesting. Why not? Kim has definitely shown she can significantly develop big interior players while Sherri failed to do the same with CP or others.

Griner got better every year and ended up the #1 draft pick. I would think just about any center would be impressed with that.

Griner got better every year and ended up the #1 draft pick. I would think just about any center would be impressed with that.

Not to denigrate Kim Mulkey's coaching ability (I make no secret of my disdain for her, but will concede that she is a good coach), BUT I would stipulate that Griner's improvement was at least as much due to her innate competitive drive to improve than to any coaching from Mulkey/staff.

Griner, upon her debut from high school to college basketball, was a force with which to be reckoned, bringing with her a skill set many sophomores and juniors lacked. She did not have to improve much to be outstanding.
It didn't hurt that she was surrounded by high-quality teammates.

Not to denigrate Kim Mulkey's coaching ability (I make no secret of my disdain for her, but will concede that she is a good coach), BUT I would stipulate that Griner's improvement was at least as much due to her innate competitive drive to improve than to any coaching from Mulkey/staff.

Griner, upon her debut from high school to college basketball, was a force with which to be reckoned, bringing with her a skill set many sophomores and juniors lacked. She did not have to improve much to be outstanding.
It didn't hurt that she was surrounded by high-quality teammates.

Well, she was outcoached like crazy against UL. I'm not as sure about her X's and O's skills as I once was. She's an excellent recruiter (cheater) and an excellent motivator. And an out of this world stripper on the sidelines! But I think she's just a good X's and O's coach.

Back