Top 10 Players in the Jeff Capel era

NickZepp

Reaction score
Maybe this will put a damper on the Jeff Capel discussion going on. Actually discuss something else to keep all the will he stay or be fired stuff away for a while.

1. Blake Griffin, and nobody will argue this, I don't even half to put his stats up.

2. Nate Carter - Slightly over Willie Warren. Although I could probably easily put Warren here. His season numbers that year aren't that impressive. But his conference numbers are amazing. 16.5 points, 7.1 rebounds. Being a more rounded player gives him the slight edge over Warren to me. But it's not that big a difference.

3. Warren - Prolific scorer. 15.2 points in one and a half season. Scored 800 points in just under 60 games.

4. Cade Davis - His last 10 games or so put him in this spot easily. But he was solid his last 2 years. Going away in style just separates him a bit.

5. Tony Crocker - The leading scorer in the Jeff Capel era to date is this guy with 1351 points. Blake if you are wondering has 1247. But he was solid his 4 years all under Capel. Also had 4 rebounds a game. Solid defender. Had the sleeves going.

6. Taylor Griffin - He was a leader in the locker room and one we really haven't had since. Although Cade was a solid leader also, probably not at the level Taylor was. Some would argue the best thing he brought in was his brother. But his stats weren't bad. 9.6 points a game as a senior. Averaged around 5 rebounds a game for all 3 years under Capel.

7. Longar Longar - Statistically he should be above Taylor Griffin. His stats the last 2 seasons were 10 and 11 points, 7 and 5 rebounds, and averaged over 1 block a game over the two seasons.

8. Austin Johnson - Easily the best PG under Capel. His stats aren't great really. His senior year was solid. 8.6 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds. He was also a great defender with his length.

9 David Godbold - Just for the big shot against Baylor. He was a big time defender, solid rebounding guard.

10. Mike Neal - Despite injuries that year he averaged 10 points a game, 3 boards, 2 assists. Had some big games near the end of that year.

Honorable mentions: Steven Pledger and Andrew Fitzgerald. One year from now these 2 are probably in the top 10.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but I don't think Andrew Fitzgerald wouldn't start for any other team in the Big 12. He's not that good.

If we get a good center that can really play a lot of minutes, Fitz will only get better. I would hope we would have more 2 post player sets than we had this year which will only help him. I don't think Goff is that guy. I would rather start Washington more if we don't get another post player. If we get Jurick(sp?) that may be perfect. But that's all beside the point. Fitz is a solid offensive scorer in the post. Not a lot of guys have his ability to score in the post overall. He's not a high jumper, and isn't that fundamental at rebounds. But he can score.

My concern with Fitz is that I think he has regressed. He was certainly on the right track, but it seems he has put some weight back on and his aggressiveness has faded some. If he were to improve on the same level he did from last year to mid-season this year, he'd be in the mix. I'm just concerned that he made his big push and is now regressing. I am often wrong, however, so there's plenty of room for hope. :)

Honorable mentions: Steven Pledger and Andrew Fitzgerald. One year from now these 2 are probably in the top 10.

I like to throw in Pattillo and Gallon as HM.

And I would move Willie Warren to 2 and Cade Davis to 3 and Nate Carter to 4.

I don't see it with Gallon. He had a long way to go.

Talent+production+favoritism (IMO) =

1. Blake G
2. T.Crock
Underrated....15th on OUs scoring list
3. WW
2nd most talented guy under Capel..."what could have been" club member
4. Carter
Would average 20+ ppg on this team...very underrated...had a nice skill-set
5. Cade
Admire his will/work ethic
6. Longar
Best pure center under Capel...improved a lot
7. AJ
Never great but hit some big shots...never fully grasped the pg position (IMO)
8. Godbold
A Cade-type player who just never quit
9. TMG
Player on what will (probably) be one of the most hated teams in OU history, but the guy had talent and had a good statistical year....another member of the "what could have been" club
10. T.Griff
A good "gel", locker room guy who did everything asked of him

Honorable Mention
M.Neal
Hard to judge just off one up and down year. Regressed from his first year.
Tiny
Spokesman for the "what could have been" crew...had a good year on that talented, underachieving team.
Fitz
I give it up to him for losing weight and working hard...just don't like his skill-set (not bashing)
Pledge
Had an okay year...too inconsistent
Cam
Future is bright

This list kind of depends on whether you are talking most talented players or best careers. It's also tough to include guys like Pledge and Fitz who may end up with with two of the better careers in recent OU history after being 4-year starters, but right now have accomplished little.

10 most talented players under Capel

1. Blake Griffin - NBA/5 Star/MAA
2. Willie Warren - NBA/ 5 star/MAA
3. Tiny Gallon -NBA/NBDL / 4star/MAA
4. Tommy Mason-Griffin 4 star/MAA
5. Tony Crocker 4 star
6. Taylor Griffin - NBA/NBDL
7. Juan Patillo
8. Nate Carter
9. Cameron Clark
10 Tyler Neal

10 Best careers - guys like Carter/Neal/Longar played half their careers under Sampson so I dont include them. I'm replacing them with guys who's careers are only half over.

1. Blake Griffin - 53 wins in 2 years under Capel, scored 1,200 pts (27 wins per year)
2 Tony Crocker - 82 wins in 4 years under Capel, scored 1,300 pts (20 wins per year)
3. Cade Davis - 80 wins in 4 years under Capel, scored 1,000 pts (20 wins per year)
4. Taylor Griffin - 69 wins in 3 years under Capel, (23 wins per year)
5. Austin Johnson - 69 wins in 3 years, 10th all-time in 3-pt made, 11th in assists
6. Willie Warren - 43 wins in 2 years, may have scored 1,000 if not for injury
7. Cam Clark - should end up a 1,000 pt scorer
8. Stephen Pledger - should end up a 1,000 pt scorer
9. Andrew Fitzgerald - should end up 1,000 pt scorer
10 Tyler Neal - career number may end up similar to Cade's with gradual improvement

Last edited:
Bump this up since it is now going to be finalized. There are no changes to be made because the Jeff Capel era is now over.

Hoe are fit and pledger going to be four year starters when they did not start as freshmen?

Here's mine.:D

1. Blake Griffin
2. Blake Griffin
3. Blake Griffin
4. Blake Griffin
5. Blake Griffin
6. Blake Griffin
7. Blake Griffin
8. Blake Griffin
9. Blake Griffin
10. Blake Griffin

Back