Top 5 coaches

But you well know that a lot of people around the country do omit Switzer from a list of the greats for just the same reason some of us are omitting Kim.

And then here was Paterno (sp?) who said long ago that he wasn't ready to retire and leave football to the likes of Switzer and another coach whose name I don't remember.

Switzer was before my time in OK but when I look at what Kim did, I see hubris a lot more than any attempt to cheat - but then hubris is what I've never liked about Kim in the first place. On the other hand, as long as folks leave her off their list because of her "recruiting tactics" don't pass the sniff test, I'm fine with that. However, in terms of coaches who get results, she does belong on the short list, IMO.

And then here was Paterno (sp?) who said long ago that he wasn't ready to retire and leave football to the likes of Switzer and another coach whose name I don't remember.

Switzer was before my time in OK but when I look at what Kim did, I see hubris a lot more than any attempt to cheat - but then hubris is what I've never liked about Kim in the first place. On the other hand, as long as folks leave her off their list because of her "recruiting tactics" don't pass the sniff test, I'm fine with that. However, in terms of coaches who get results, she does belong on the short list, IMO.

I agree with everything said. Kim as "earned" her place, just not on my list.

I agree with everything said. Kim as "earned" her place, just not on my list.

LOL after all it is YOUR list! As I was rereading what I wrote, hubris seems like such a mild term for what Kim exhibits.:D

The comparison to the jealousy regarding Switzer is invalid. As Sally Jenkins and Michelle Voepel tried to explain, there is a difference in women's sports. The world of men's sport has been contaminated since their inception. Indeed, the entire reason for the NCAA rules arose as a result of what happened when there was no NCAA. Those who complain against rules tend to forget that they are the result of violation, not drawn out of thin air.

The world of sport around men, whether in college, pro, whatever you want to call Olympic, or whatever has always been replete with any form of cheating that would result in victory. To criticize Switer at a time when football had spent eighty years in complete corruption was nonsense, and Switzer was probably among the more pure in the sport. A good deal of the hostility towards Switzer involved his being the first in this area to be receptive to the black athlete.

All of that has absolutely nothing to do with Kim. As Sally and Michelle tried to assert, the sport of college basketball has been pretty clean. There have been few allegations. They were despondent at the actions of Kim regarding the AAU team that produced six of her players, a course of action that was not a matter of accusation, but of admitted fact.

Is it simply a case of jealousy? Why is it considered jealousy to place Kim on permanent probation when those who have done so have been quite complimentary of Geno and Muffet? Is it OK for Geno to win, but not Kim? Why is nobody exhibiting great jealousy of a coach who has won seven national titles? That doesn't exactly make sense. Does it? If it were jealousy, Geno would probably be the most hated coach in basketball right now, as would John Wooden before him. Yet, they are among the most revered (except by USC).

Kim has earned her absence.

1. Geno (even though I loathe him)
2. Kim Mulkey
3. Tara V.
4. Gary Blair
5. Muffet
6. C. Vivian Stringer
7. Matthew Mitchell
8. Dawn Staley
9. Sylvia Hatchell
10. Melanie Balcomb

If you say Sherri has done more with less, that means she does not recruit on the level with other top coaches. Since recruiting is the most important part of developing a championship team, does that not affect her ranking?

I cannot leave off Kim from one of the greats anymore than I could leave off Switzer as one of the great college football coaches.

+1

Tough to argue with that.

With Pat's retirement, Geno stands alone at the top.

Tara has to be next, then I think Muffet.

Gary is the flavor of the moment, just as Brenda Freese was several years ago. Will he be around longer? We don't know.

Kim could be added if you ignore cheating.

Andy Landers seems to me to be in the next level down; a consistent winner that can't quite get to that very top level - just like our own coach.

Cheating? Seriously?

What type of "cheating" has Mulkey engaged in?

Must be really rotten, huh.... Paying cash to recruits, falsifying transcripts, using ineligible players, etc., right?

Ummmm. No.

Please cite for us anything that Mulkey has ever done which does not occur routinely at practically every college in america(including OU).

TC

Please cite for us anything that Mulkey has ever done which does not occur routinely at practically every college in america(including OU).

TC

Arranging for her daughter to be on a specific AAU team so she could have illegal contact with recruits.

The comparison to the jealousy regarding Switzer is invalid. As Sally Jenkins and Michelle Voepel tried to explain, there is a difference in women's sports. The world of men's sport has been contaminated since their inception. Indeed, the entire reason for the NCAA rules arose as a result of what happened when there was no NCAA. Those who complain against rules tend to forget that they are the result of violation, not drawn out of thin air.

The world of sport around men, whether in college, pro, whatever you want to call Olympic, or whatever has always been replete with any form of cheating that would result in victory. To criticize Switer at a time when football had spent eighty years in complete corruption was nonsense, and Switzer was probably among the more pure in the sport. A good deal of the hostility towards Switzer involved his being the first in this area to be receptive to the black athlete.

All of that has absolutely nothing to do with Kim. As Sally and Michelle tried to assert, the sport of college basketball has been pretty clean. There have been few allegations. They were despondent at the actions of Kim regarding the AAU team that produced six of her players, a course of action that was not a matter of accusation, but of admitted fact.

Is it simply a case of jealousy? Why is it considered jealousy to place Kim on permanent probation when those who have done so have been quite complimentary of Geno and Muffet? Is it OK for Geno to win, but not Kim? Why is nobody exhibiting great jealousy of a coach who has won seven national titles? That doesn't exactly make sense. Does it? If it were jealousy, Geno would probably be the most hated coach in basketball right now, as would John Wooden before him. Yet, they are among the most revered (except by USC).

Kim has earned her absence.

First of all, let's get one thing straight..... there is nothing --- absolutely NOTHING --- inherently wrong with recruiting players from the same summer league basketball club.

Baylor was the only college located within 100 miles of Dallas-Fort Worth that belonged to a major conference. It is not a big deal that DFW kids would want to go there.

What if Tulsa or OK City had a good summer league program and some of the kids there chose to go to OU. Would that automatically be considered dirty? Not in my book.

If it is wrong, then OU basketball must be bad too.

http://www.athletesfirst.com/alumni.aspx

And if you really want to get technical about it, it is not an "admitted fact" that the DFW girls basketball program caused those 6 players to sign with Baylor. One of those aforementioned players, Brooklyn Pope, refused to sign with Baylor when she was in high school. She signed with Rutgers and then later transferred to Baylor. Brittney Griner committed to Baylor when she had been playing with the Houston Hotshots. And Makenzie Robertson, another person who is being counted among the dirty recruits, happens to be the daughter of Kim Mulkey.

But yeah, the fact that 6 girls who played their summer league basketball in Dallas went on to wear Baylor uniforms must be really awful.

I guess the NCAA should shut down Texas a&m then. They have reeled in 6 recruits from this exact same summer program in just two years.

What do Sally Jenkins and Michelle Voepel think of that? They must really be pounding the living hell out of A&M over this, correct? Or is this just a Baylor thing?

TC

Arranging for her daughter to be on a specific AAU team so she could have illegal contact with recruits.

Could you please provide a list of all these "recruits" where illegal contact occurred. Name names. Be specific.

TC

Assuming that you actually do have some direct knowledge of wrongdoing by Kim Mulkey and that you are not just making up a baseless accusation out of thin air....... then you should be able to give us the specific names of all the recruits where illegal contact occurred with Kim Mulkey as a result of her daughter playing with the Dallas AAU club. Go ahead. List them all.

Also, just to be clear........ are you suggesting that NO coach at Oklahoma has EVER had a child play summer league sports and then one of their teammates got recruited by OU?

TC

Also, just to be clear........ are you suggesting that NO coach at Oklahoma has EVER had a child play summer league sports and then one of their teammates got recruited by OU?

TC

What is being suggested is that no Coach at any Big 12 school (other than Mulkey at Baylor) has ever had a child play AAU basketball and used that as an excuse to sit with the parents at games in order to recruit them.

This is clearly illegal. There have been other coaches with kids playing AAU ball; those coaches strictly observed the rules and did not sit with or converse with parents of players at games.

Back