Top 5 Point Guards in the Big 12 (08-19-2011)

thebigabd

Reaction score
1.) Phil Pressey (Missouri)
-Averaged 6.5 points, 2.3 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.0 steals per game ... Ranked seventh in the Big 12 and tops amongst all Big 12 freshmen with his 3.9 assists and 117 total dimes ... Ranked second in the Big 12 with his 2.0 steals per game and 61 total thefts ... Broke the Mizzou Freshman record with his 2.0 steals and 3.9 dimes per game ... His 117 assists also set the school mark.

2.) Tyshawn Taylor (Kansas)
-Averaged 9.3 points per game, ranking third highest on the team... Led the team in assists with 164... Ranked fourth in the Big 12 in assists, notching 4.6 per game... Selected as one of 20 Bob Cousy Award finalists... Averaged 12.7 points per game over Kansas' last six contests... Ranked third on the team in free throw shooting, hitting 71.9 percent of his attempts... Dished out three or more assists in 30 of the 36 games he appeared in... Shot a career best 38 percent from three-point range.

3.) Myck Kabongo (Texas)
-Ranked as the No. 9 prospect in the nation by ESPNU and Scout.com. Kabongo spent the previous three seasons at St. Benedict's Prep School (Newark, N.J.). He averaged 18 points and six assists per game while leading St. Benedict's to a 20-1 record and a No. 4 national ranking in the Powerade Fab 50 as a junior. Kabongo also averaged 19.8 points, 7.8 rebounds and 6.4 assists per game in five contests while leading Canada to a bronze medal at the FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship this summer in San Antonio.

4.) Will Spradling (Kansas State)
-Averaged 6.4 points on 39.7 percent shooting (62-of-156), including 37 percent (40-of-108) from 3-point range, with 1.8 assists, 1.6 rebounds and 0.8 steals in 21.9 minutes per game... Connected on 82.5 percent (52-of-63) from the free throw line... Ranked among the Top 5 in nine categories, including second in assists, steals and free throw percentage, third in 3-point field goals and attempts and fifth in scoring field goals and field goals attempted.

5.) Tyrus Mcgee (Iowa State)
-Named First-Team Division I NJCAA All-American in 2011...had an outstanding sophomore campaign, also earning Jayhawk East Player of the Year honors and First-Team All-Region VI accolades...averaged 20.1 points, 5.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists while leading his team to a 25-8 mark as a sophomore...one of the best outside shooters in all of junior college, leading the region with 115 3-pointers while making 48.7 percent (115-236 3FG) of his shots from downtown...averaged 3.5 3-pointers made per game...made 85.6 percent of his shots from the free-throw line and led the team with 71 steals.

Not sure how you can have Tyrus McGee ranked in your top 5 when Pierre Jackson (Baylor), Sam Grooms (Oklahoma) and Jeremy Jones (KSU) are all ranked ahead of him by JucoRecruiting.com. Grooms is also ranked ahead of him by JucoJunction.

I would also rank Cezar G ahead of McGee as well as Jamal Branch (ATM).

My Top 5 (This is a weak PG crop in the Big 12 this year):

1. J'Covan Brown (Texas)
2. Tyshawn Taylor (Kansas)
3. Phil Pressey (Mizzou)
4. Dash Harris (TAMU)
5. Pierre Jackson (Baylor) - my going out on a limb pick

Jackson is the number one JUCO in the country (according to Jucorecruiting.com). I figured you would be all over that Abd.

Jackson is the number one JUCO in the country (according to Jucorecruiting.com). I figured you would be all over that Abd.

To be honest, I somehow forgot about him. My head has been in golf since the end of the NBA playoffs. This is really my first basketball post in awhile.

1.) Phil Pressey
2.) Tyshawn Taylor
3.) Pierre Jackson
4.) Will Spradling
5.) Tyrus Mcgee

To be honest, I somehow forgot about him. My head has been in golf since the end of the NBA playoffs. This is really my first basketball post in awhile.

1.) Phil Pressey
2.) Tyshawn Taylor
3.) Pierre Jackson
4.) Will Spradling
5.) Tyrus Mcgee

Interestingly, Jackson is in the 60s according to JUCOJunction, so Grooms is actually rated much, much higher when you take the average. ha

BTW, my sleeper is Elijah Johson for Kansas. I could see him having a really good year due the 'hawks needing players to step up.

Excuses.

On a second glance, where have all the good Big XII PGs gone? Very sad list.

Excuses.

On a second glance, where have all the good Big XII PGs gone? Very sad list.

Pitiful. The good news is that 2012 and 2013 should allow many of those teams to really reload with top PGs.

Ex A&M with J-mych Reese.

And hopefully, OU with Jordan Woodard!

pressey isn't even the best pg on his own team.

Not sure how you can have Tyrus McGee ranked in your top 5 when Pierre Jackson (Baylor), Sam Grooms (Oklahoma) and Jeremy Jones (KSU) are all ranked ahead of him by JucoRecruiting.com. Grooms is also ranked ahead of him by JucoJunction.

1. J'Covan Brown (Texas)
3. Phil Pressey (Mizzou)
4. Dash Harris (TAMU)

Agreed on the value of PG's this year. The crop of PG's from the early 2000's would put these guys to shame.

With that being said, I think it's pretty much splitting hairs between the top 3. And Brown might not even be the best PG on his team should Kabongo flourish like many are expecting him to.

I don't know if I'd say Dixon is better than Pressey, but I'd definitely have him higher on the list than Will Spradling (and it's not even close).

I may also argue that both Pressey and Dixon belong in the top 5.

I'm a fan of Carl Blair- but perhaps it is because my memory of him is abusing Baylor over and over last year.

I've seen Jackson play some for Baylor this summer. He's good- he has a nasty crossover/hesitation and plenty of athleticism to do something good once he gets past a defender. But I'm skeptical that he will be a top 5 guard in the league. But I'll put him in there because I am a homer. I also wonder if Dash Harris will play enough to be considered a top 5 guard.

A great defender but liability on offense. Turgeon valued defense and overlooked the woeful offense. I wonder if Kennedy will do the same? I'm not buying the Kabongo hype. He plays very fast but he looks out of control when I have seen him. I think he and Brown in the backcourt together could send Barnes to the verge of a nervous breakdown. It might be a bigger disaster than Walton/Dunn. And if it turns out to be that way, I just might have to subscribe to the Longhorn Network for all the commentary that will accompany it.

My top 5:

1. Taylor (KU)
2. Pressey (MU)
3. Spradling (KSU)
4. Page (OSU)
5. Jackson (Baylor)

some highlights of Pierre Jackson on recent Canadian exhibition tour:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr3Vm-tr_do&feature=autoshare"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr3Vm-tr_do&feature=autoshare[/ame]

I'm gonna say this.... in my opinion, Dash Harris sucks. He and Carl Blair are the bottom 2 point guards in the league.

I don't know if I'd say Dixon is better than Pressey, but I'd definitely have him higher on the list than Will Spradling (and it's not even close).

I may also argue that both Pressey and Dixon belong in the top 5.

dixon does, definitely. he's actually number 1 on the list, and it'd be tough to argue for anyone else. i'm not really a pressey fan, but he probably does deserve to be in the discussion. other than dixon and taylor, there really aren't any quality returning pgs. everyone else you could name are guys you think will improve or newcomers.

if you include brown as a pg, then he goes in with dixon and taylor. christopherson from isu isn't a pg at all, but he's a very good player, i expect he'll have a big year.

1. J'Covan Brown (Texas)
3. Phil Pressey (Mizzou)
4. Dash Harris (TAMU)

I wouldn't put Cezar G on this list just yet, I don't think he starts over Reger Dowell or Page. If Dowell can play like he did at the end of the season then he might need to be on this list.

Back