Troubling Trend for Lon

Careful now. I said the same thing about Steven Pledger. He was a good player and a decent shooter, but he was a long ways from being one of the best in program history. Lesson learned.

I agree with you about Reaves. The difference, of course, is that Pledger was a high school recruit, Reaves proved he is an above average player and three point shooter at a high level D-1 school. I also think it’s safe to assume he took advantage of his year off to get even better. I can’t wait to see what he can do next season!

He was an elite shooter at Wichita St. 45% on 182 career attempts.

He was an elite shooter at Wichita St. 45% on 182 career attempts.

I’m all in with you on Reaves. My “careful now” quip about Pledger was a joke.

It’s true. I did say Steven might be the best three point shooter in OU history. That was before he even arrived on campus. Think I might have been a little premature with that prediction? :ez-laugh:

I’m all in with you on Reaves. My “careful now” quip about Pledger was a joke.

It’s true. I did say Steven might be the best three point shooter in OU history. That was before he even arrived on campus. Think I might have been a little premature with that prediction? :ez-laugh:

We all do it. I thought Brady Manek was a future first round pick halfway through last year.

I'm not ready to give up on Manek. He has improved his inside game and rebounding this year. He has even hit a few mid-range shots. I don't understand his problem close to the basket. Sometimes he makes a strong move but more often a weak move. Maybe needs a few more pounds.

I also think he defends well but allows other bigs to get the ball in too deep sometimes.

A good chance that he will get the touch back outside. You either have that touch or don't. Looks like he is often shooting not to miss rather than having confidence that he will make it. Also possibly needs to do a better job of anticipating an open shot and shooting with better rhythm. He has done a better job of faking the trey and moving sideways to hit it.

Interesting to think about -- who was the most recent OU player who showed up on campus and you knew (knock on wood) that he would be a very good to great shooter from day one? We've had some great guards and some guys who turned into very good shooters, but not many guys who I would consider pure, knockdown shooters. And some of the best ones we had even going back 20 years were guys who were limited athletically and couldn't really get their own shot (Heskett, Newton, Neal). I think Reaves will surprise a lot of people who think of him as only a shooter.

Not recent by any stretch, but I'm hoping Reaves has the kind of OU career that Brent Price enjoyed as a transfer before his junior season.

Back