Twisting Knobs and Pulling Levers

Yep, at the end of this year we will find out how much the powers that be at OU actually care about basketball. We need an updated arena, and IMHO we need to explore coaching options. I love coach Kruger and he did his job by getting this program back on track, but he's hit the ceiling and I don't think he can take the team any further.

New arena ain't gonna happen. We don't have any basketball donors with deep enough pockets. And the Norman voters killed the last best chance of doing something. Not to mention there aren't enough basketball fans anymore to justify spending a hundred million on a building for a couple thousand fans.

Definitely need a new coach. I'll be elated if Lon retires at the end of the season.

In this post... these guys want lincoln Riley fired

IMO, Lon was hired 1st to clean up OU basketball program and he has. Most of us here have stated many times Lon is type of coach that will get you in the dance most of the time, but for as winning it all chances are slim to none that would happen...Lon good coach

I have absolutely no expectation that any coach OU hires is going to "win it all"... It hasn't happened a single time in history, so no expectation should exist for it.

I expect first round byes in the Big 12 tournament... Competing for Big 12 regular season and tournament championships... and making the NCAA Tournament. The big 12 stuff being the more important part.

Honest question, and not just for you because you are definitely not the only person with this opinion: why do so many people think college kids playing two games a week can't handle 35+ minutes, when plenty of NBA guys who are much older can play those kinds of minutes even though they play 3-4 games a week, with a much more strenuous travel schedule, and are going up against the best players on the planet? I have never understood this but so many people think it that I really would like to hear your reasoning because maybe I'm missing something.

As for Manek, the play where he let their big guy just outrun him for a layup Tuesday was embarrassing. Whether that was conditioning or pure lack of hustle (I'm leaning toward the latter), it is inexcusable.

all I said was they can't do it...so it seems. Never said they shouldn't be ABLE to do it...

just sayin

all I said was they can't do it...so it seems. Never said they shouldn't be ABLE to do it...

just sayin

Fair distinction, though I think I respectfully disagree. I think a lot of kids play heavy minutes and don't suffer as a result. But I appreciate the clarification.

I have absolutely no expectation that any coach OU hires is going to "win it all"... It hasn't happened a single time in history, so no expectation should exist for it.

I expect first round byes in the Big 12 tournament... Competing for Big 12 regular season and tournament championships... and making the NCAA Tournament. The big 12 stuff being the more important part.

Agreed. NC can't even factor in to expectations of the program or our HC. We aren't that program. If it happens, great. And we can certainly put ourselves in a position where we have a good chance once a decade or so.

But the other things you mentioned, those are important to me. We shouldn't regularly be outside of the top 4. We shouldn't be getting seeded in the Dance to where we aren't even expected to win a single game. Our program is better than that. Or at least, it was better than that.

Fair distinction, though I think I respectfully disagree. I think a lot of kids play heavy minutes and don't suffer as a result. But I appreciate the clarification.

Ummm I’m agreeing with you.

Seeing Doo and Manek struggle physically late in games is concerning. So, to me, either sub more or condition more... which is hard at this point. ( or get on their ass more- effort)

Not sure why they seem to struggle...

Back