Twisting Knobs and Pulling Levers

Last year he went 14-16 after coming off a 28-7 season, so he didn’t capitalize off a good season. He’s in a terrible conference & hasn’t won it. Also he’s an OSU alum. Oh but he has ties to Juco.

So he had a 28-7 season, won the southland conference tournament, and made the NCAA Tournament... Then had a bad season after they lost 4 of 5 starters from the 28-7 team.

Now they are 10-2 again this year, with a win over Duke on the road.

They are #9 nationally in points per game, #23 nationally in offensive rebounds per game, #16 nationally in field goal percentage, #21 nationally in free throws attempted..

I’d suggest Alec Jans of NMSU, and that would also humor your Juco background.

Great coach that would do very well at OU... He has some legal issues that people may or may not care about. DUI's, I think. He would be similar to hiring Keller.

We need to find somebody like Chris Beard.

Yea, his name is Kyle Keller...

• Beard went 30-5 in his first and only season at Arkansas Little Rock
  • Keller went 28-7 in his first season at Stephen F. Austin
  • Beard spent 10 years under legendary coach Bob Knight
  • Keller spent many years under legendary coaches Eddie Sutton and Bill Self
  • Beard is from Texas and has recruited the area heavily his entire career
  • Keller is from Texas and has recruited the area heavily his entire career
  • Beard was a junior college head coach
  • Keller was a junior college head coach

Im pretty sure half this board could get 2 points & 1 rebound in a loss to Rutgers, which is what Johnson did. How about 4pts & 4 turnovers in a loss to Alabama, which is what Kensmil did. They also aren’t freshmen, a little different when you can cherry pick.

Come on man... You know Issanza, Garang, Victor, Merritt, and Kuath cant average 13/8 and 13/4 for a 10-2 division one basketball team this year... Hell, Rick Issanza didn't average that in high school.

Top to bottom, OU has more talent than SFA. Because they are a Southland Conference team, and OU is a major basketball program in the Big 12 conference. But they appear to be well coached and have some guys who can play.

Also.... your comment "they aren't freshman either"..... Exactly.

Alondes Williams (Oklahoma)
Height: 6'5''
Weight: 205
PPG: 7
RPG: 2
FG%: 41%
3PT%: 19%
FT%: 65

Cameron Johnson (Stephen F. Austin)
Height: 6'4''
Weight: 205
PPG: 13
RPG: 4
FG%: 57%
3PT%: 46.7%
FT%: 70.6

And before you talk about schedule, his averages held true against high major competition. The guy can play.

You guys have to stop letting Kruger off the hook for this... It's not just the jucos, but they are clearly a glaring problem for him.. I had high hopes for Williams and some early performances were promising, but my god is he struggling right now.

It's either Kruger, or its the program, that can't sign enough high school talent to be a top 4 team in the Big 12. If you believe it is the program, then you know you have to find talent to connect the dots elsewhere... If it's Kruger being a bad recruiter, then you have to look somewhere else for coaching.

So he had a 28-7 season, won the southland conference tournament, and made the NCAA Tournament... Then had a bad season after they lost 4 of 5 starters from the 28-7 team.

Now they are 10-2 again this year, with a win over Duke on the road.

They are #9 nationally in points per game, #23 nationally in offensive rebounds per game, #16 nationally in field goal percentage, #21 nationally in free throws attempted..

Great coach that would do very well at OU... He has some legal issues that people may or may not care about. DUI's, I think. He would be similar to hiring Keller.

Yea, his name is Kyle Keller...

• Beard went 30-5 in his first and only season at Arkansas Little Rock
  • Keller went 28-7 in his first season at Stephen F. Austin
  • Beard spent 10 years under legendary coach Bob Knight
  • Keller spent many years under legendary coaches Eddie Sutton and Bill Self
  • Beard is from Texas and has recruited the area heavily his entire career
  • Keller is from Texas and has recruited the area heavily his entire career
  • Beard was a junior college head coach
  • Keller was a junior college head coach

Come on man... You know Issanza, Garang, Victor, Merritt, and Kuath cant average 13/8 and 13/4 for a 10-2 division one basketball team this year... Hell, Rick Issanza didn't average that in high school.

Top to bottom, OU has more talent than SFA. Because they are a Southland Conference team, and OU is a major basketball program in the Big 12 conference. But they appear to be well coached and have some guys who can play.

Also.... your comment "they aren't freshman either"..... Exactly.

Vic can do that. Why would OU need a bunch of jucos with Doolittle, Manek, Bienemy, & Reaves coming back? Other than 3 games (2 they lost) SFA’s schedule is atrocious & the conference is worse. Issanza & Garang are projects & weren’t expected or needed to contribute this year.

Calixte averaged 20ppg at Maine & was an average bench player in the Big 12. I’d be surprised if the guys from SFA were better than that.

Calixte averaged 20ppg at Maine

Some of that is on Kruger. I don't think he does a very good job of getting the most out of guys, except in cases where those guys are like Hield and Young.

Some of that is on Kruger. I don't think he does a very good job of getting the most out of guys, except in cases where those guys are like Hield and Young.

Lol ok it was pretty obvious he couldn’t create space or get by people. He did his job & was a quick fix for Shepherd leaving.

Calixte averaged 20ppg at Maine & was an average bench player in the Big 12. I’d be surprised if the guys from SFA were better than that.

Yea and he played for a team that won 24 games in his 4 year career there. That being said... lets say some of these guys are "average bench players" for a Big 12 team... that helps you more than guys who can't even get on the floor. Your team is stronger with those guys than guys who can't play at all.

OU's starting shooting guard averages 4 points and 3 rebounds per game in nearly 30 minutes per game of action... He shoots 11% from 3 and 26% from the field. Reminder... that is OU's starting shooting guard.

I really don't understand the defense here... You telling there isn't a development or talent problem at OU? Is that what you are saying?

Yea and he played for a team that won 24 games in his 4 year career there. That being said... lets say some of these guys are "average bench players" for a Big 12 team... that helps you more than guys who can't even get on the floor. Your team is stronger with those guys than guys who can't play at all.

OU's starting shooting guard averages 4 points and 3 rebounds per game in nearly 30 minutes per game of action... He shoots 11% from 3 and 26% from the field. Reminder... that is OU's starting shooting guard.

I really don't understand the defense here... You telling there isn't a development or talent problem at OU? Is that what you are saying?

I’m saying there’s more to the game than stats. Bienemy is OU’s best defender & passer, he’s in a major shooting funk. Just because you put up numbers doesn’t mean you’re helping your team win. I’m also even less impressed with stats against a terrible schedule. You also can’t play 13 guys & roster balance is important because you would have a ton of transfers every year.

Lol ok it was pretty obvious he couldn’t create space or get by people. He did his job & was a quick fix for Shepherd leaving.

Then it's Kruger's job to run an offense that either doesn't require him to create space or get by people, or where the offense puts him in the most advantageous position for him to do those things.

Kelvin made a lot worse athletes look "good". How? He ran an actual system where the SYSTEM or the OFFENSE helped the players out. Kruger doesn't do much of that. Kruger puts it all on the players. Cool. When you have senior Buddy and his crew, it works. Cool, when you have Young, it works (sorta). But when you don't, which is most of the time, that offense doesn't work.

It's not rocket science. This is all very basic stuff.

Then it's Kruger's job to run an offense that either doesn't require him to create space or get by people, or where the offense puts him in the most advantageous position for him to do those things.

Kelvin made a lot worse athletes look "good". How? He ran an actual system where the SYSTEM or the OFFENSE helped the players out. Kruger doesn't do much of that. Kruger puts it all on the players. Cool. When you have senior Buddy and his crew, it works. Cool, when you have Young, it works (sorta). But when you don't, which is most of the time, that offense doesn't work.

It's not rocket science. This is all very basic stuff.

So you want to change the offense & design it around your 7th best player? Kelvin was an amazing coach but his offense wasn’t good.

So you want to change the offense & design it around your 7th best player? Kelvin was an amazing coach but his offense wasn’t good.

1996: 79ppg
1997: 74ppg
1998: 75ppg
1999: 68ppg
2000: 75ppg
2001: 74ppg
2002: 78ppg
2003: 70ppg
2004: 60ppg
2005: 75ppg
2006: 69ppg

Sampson Career Average: 72.42 points per game.

2012: 69ppg
2013: 71ppg
2014: 82ppg
2015: 71ppg
2016: 80ppg
2017: 73ppg
2018: 85ppg
2019: 71ppg

Kruger Career Average: 75.25 points per game.

That's closer than I would have thought. I have to imagine that Sampson averaged more points per possession than Lon if those numbers are right.

You’ve weighted the 37 game Final Four season and the 11 games played this year evenly?

That’s not how math works.

But I agree with your sentiment. The scoring averages are close.

Sampson’s 1st season was his highest & Lon’s 1st was his lowest. I will agree the offense has looked stagnant the last 2 years.

I would be interested to see the offensive efficiency numbers. Lon prefers to shoot the ball much quicker than KS does, so there are a lot more possessions with a Kruger team. Kelvin has a much tighter reign on who can shoot & when they can shoot, so his offensive possessions tend to last longer.

Sampson’s 1st season was his highest & Lon’s 1st was his lowest. I will agree the offense has looked stagnant the last 2 years.

Actually, Kelvin's first year at OU was the 1994-1995 season, but it was still his highest. Since we averaged 82 PPG that year, it takes Kelvin's average up over 73 PPG. Ryan Minor was the primary reason for the higher scoring teams in his first two years.

I would expect Lon's teams to have a higher PPG average as I would expect Kelvin's teams to have a lower opponent's PPG average. They're both outstanding coaches. Throw in Billy Tubbs and HOF'er Bruce Drake, and we've been blessed for sure.

Actually, Kelvin's first year at OU was the 1994-1995 season, but it was still his highest. Since we averaged 82 PPG that year, it takes Kelvin's average up over 73 PPG. Ryan Minor was the primary reason for the higher scoring teams in his first two years.

I would expect Lon's teams to have a higher PPG average as I would expect Kelvin's teams to have a lower opponent's PPG average. They're both outstanding coaches. Throw in Billy Tubbs and HOF'er Bruce Drake, and we've been blessed for sure.

Definitely

IMO, Lon was hired 1st to clean up OU basketball program and he has. Most of us here have stated many times Lon is type of coach that will get you in the dance most of the time, but for as winning it all chances are slim to none that would happen...Lon good coach

IMO, Lon was hired 1st to clean up OU basketball program and he has. Most of us here have stated many times Lon is type of coach that will get you in the dance most of the time, but for as winning it all chances are slim to none that would happen...Lon good coach

Yep, at the end of this year we will find out how much the powers that be at OU actually care about basketball. We need an updated arena, and IMHO we need to explore coaching options. I love coach Kruger and he did his job by getting this program back on track, but he's hit the ceiling and I don't think he can take the team any further.

Yep, at the end of this year we will find out how much the powers that be at OU actually care about basketball. We need an updated arena, and IMHO we need to explore coaching options. I love coach Kruger and he did his job by getting this program back on track, but he's hit the ceiling and I don't think he can take the team any further.

Hate to say it but I really don't think the powers that be care much..if they did Sherri Coale & Son would done been gone. Maybe its just the women side they don't care about..dunno

Last edited:
Hate to say it but I really don't think the powers that be care much..if they did Sherri Coale & Son would done been gone. Maybe its just the women side they care about..dunno

I agree, I don't think they care that much either as long as the basketball team isn't embarrassing the school.

Back