ViVi and Kaylon

It makes it acceptable to say it that way. She is showing you respect. That doesn't mean you are pronouncing it correctly. It means she is more respectful than you - or perhaps laughs later and says "Wow - what a bunch or morons who can't learn to pronounce new words".

You're probably right.

Last edited:
I did hear them say that Vivi said to call her Louis. I have no idea whether she is being deferential or not. But, she is from Haiti which is a French-speaking country. Unless Haitian Creole is different in pronunciation, it should be the French. It might be interesting to have a discussion with her. Until then, I'll call her Vivi.

People can be hateful and condescending no matter what the topic. I responded in kind but have deleted. SMH

Last edited:
Okay, 90 percent of people in Haiti speak Haitian Creole and the other 10 percent French, so it would appear that assuming her name was pronounced Lou-ee in Haiti has a 90 percent chance of being wrong. NOW, we don't want to be morons, so I quote the following:

█ How Haitian Creole Pronunciation Works

The pronunciation rules of Haitian Creole are very simple. Unlike other languages, Creole has only three basic rules that you need to know. If you strictly follow these rules, you will be able to read and speak Creole correctly and avoid unnecessary heartache. Therefore, it is important to take the time to get to know these basic rules.

║Three Golden Rules You Must Know
1. All letters are spelled exactly as they sound and sound exactly as they are spelled.

2. All letters have one sound.

3. Creole has no silent letters. - See more at: http://www.howtocreole.com/2014/07/pronounce-words-in-haitian-creole.html#sthash.tbIS4ndF.dpuf

Back