We beat nobody!!!!

Navy2004

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of great feelings running around after last night and that is fine. I have HS teams here in VA that can beat the team we played last night. We beat them to death and looked like we are back. In my opinion we accomplished very little. Confidence, maybe, a win, maybe but, until we beat a good team these players are not going to figure out what it takes to be good. A win is a win but, what did we learn?

I know there is a lot of great feelings running around after last night and that is fine. I have HS teams here in VA that can beat the team we played last night. We beat them to death and looked like we are back. In my opinion we accomplished very little. Confidence, maybe, a win, maybe but, until we beat a good team these players are not going to figure out what it takes to be good. A win is a win but, what did we learn?

Sometimes you just need to get bad tastes out of your mouth. I found positive things inside the game that were better like contesting the perimeter shots. We did alot better at that and that was a positive. The negative was the freshman Berry, being unguardable by Gallon and Fitz.

It seemed like an open tryout for pt. However, I'm not opposed to playing 10 guys. If we were a high pressure defense, 10 guys getting minutes and rotating with each other can be a good thing.

I always believed that beating a bad team was not good. I believe that being in a game with a good team and having a chance to win is more important. You are correct we have no answers for some things even against a HS team. I certainly hope we play well against Baylor because we need that more than this win.....

I was excited about the win. Not because we beat Maryland Eastern Shore, but because we played hard. We pressed. We got some experience for some young guys and some guys like Willis/Allen. We didn't shoot all that well, but we still won big.

I don't care how bad MES is, if we had played defense like we did in Alaska we would not have won the way we did.

I hope the success of last years team doesn't turn OU basketball fans into OU football fans where we throw a fit after every loss and then complain after wins as well. But it's starting to look that way. And I'm not just talking about you Navy. There are a lot of people on this board that can't seem to find anything good about this team. Even when we won 6 in a row.

Last edited:
I really have looked for ways to like this team. I believe if they start out well in conference they will become a very good team. I realize alot of fans are encouraged by the way we played defense last night and the way we hustled. I believe I am looking for body language when we are down and punched in the face. If this team is going to get better they have to come off the canvas and give teams what they have been getting. I will then know we are starting to get it.....

I was excited about the win. Not because we beat Maryland Eastern Shore, but because we played hard. We pressed. We got some experience for some young guys and some guys like Willis/Allen. We didn't shoot all that well, but we still won big.

I don't care how bad MES is, if we had played defense like we did in Alaska we would not have won the way we did.

I hope the success of last years team doesn't turn OU basketball fans into OU football fans where we throw a fit after every loss and then complain after wins as well. But it's starting to look that way. And I'm not just talking about you Navy. There are a lot of people on this board that can't seem to find anything good about this team. Even when we won 6 in a row.

This. I don't care how bad MES is, after our last two games, ANY win is a good win.

I always believed that beating a bad team was not good. I believe that being in a game with a good team and having a chance to win is more important. You are correct we have no answers for some things even against a HS team. I certainly hope we play well against Baylor because we need that more than this win.....

The only other choice is losing to that bad team which is more not good.

They weren't great, but this statement is just so much hyperbole. MES beat Navy and hung in there with Nebraska.

I get what you are saying about having good effort when you are down, though.

I must have missed the chest thumping after last night's win. :)

Navy, I understand what you're saying, but I think we all knew MES was not a good team before the game even started. Believe me, there is not a team in the country (none, zip, nada) that doesn't have a few cupcakes on their schedule.

Like you, I found no pleasure in beating the Cougars, but I do like the way we won. Eight players logged 15 or more minutes, and everyone on the bench got to see action. I was especially pleased to see Drew and Ray play meaningful minutes. That may prove to be beneficial down the home stretch.

There were some lapses on defense, to be sure, but not nearly as many we have seen in the past three games. We could have (and should have) rebounded better against a team like MES. But I was encouraged by many of the things I saw, particularly the passing and patience we demonstrated in working for good shots. There were signs that these kids may finally be coming together as a team. But, I will reserve judgment on that one until after the Baylor game on Saturday.

You have to start somewhere. Hopefully this team eventually learns what it takes to be a team.

That team played Nebraska hard at Nebraska, ended up losing by 14 but Nebraska never could put them away like we did.

Back