We need Juco Juice ASAP

What's the "catch" with Lundy? Why are the only two schools interested Morehead St and Pacific? (according to rivals)

I know Colorado is recruiting him pretty hard, but I don't know of his other interest. I would guess his interest picks up soon.

We need guys that can play I don't care if they are juco, transfer freshmen or semipro whatever.

I get Dowell, but why Walker?

To be honest, he's just not a D-1 player. He's just not very athletic and seems rather clumsy while he's on the floor. Shaw on the other hand is an athletic freak for 6'11" and is a great defender/shot blocker but is still a little raw on the offensive side of the ball. Look for him to make an impact when moses and pilgrim graduate. I think ford signed 3 point guards last knowing one of them wouldnt pan out, unfortunately its dowell

To be honest, he's just not a D-1 player. He's just not very athletic and seems rather clumsy while he's on the floor. Shaw on the other hand is an athletic freak for 6'11" and is a great defender/shot blocker but is still a little raw on the offensive side of the ball. Look for him to make an impact when moses and pilgrim graduate. I think ford signed 3 point guards last knowing one of them wouldnt pan out, unfortunately its dowell
Same Walker, Ford talked about on signing day? Guess Ford should focus more on evaluation rather than just oversigning. He keeps up with this habit it is eventually going to catch up with him as high school and AAU coaches are going to notice if kids keep leaving on bad terms like Kirkland.
“We watched Torin Walker this summer very, very closely,” Ford said. “He’s a guy that we were not recruiting until the July period. We saw him on one occasion and he dominated, literally dominated, one of the best big men in the country. Dominated him. It wasn’t even close. Wow. That’s impressive.
“We watched him again in another tournament. Same thing, against a top 75 big man. It wasn’t even close. He dominated the kid. Then we continued to watch him and continued to watch him and every time out, he got better and dominated guys who maybe have a better reputation. He just literally dominated them."
Link

Ford is going to start going to the recruit and release method way too often.

AAU circles and high school coaches notice this...he better watch out.

Same Walker, Ford talked about on signing day? Guess Ford should focus more on evaluation rather than just oversigning. He keeps up with this habit it is eventually going to catch up with him as high school and AAU coaches are going to notice if kids keep leaving on bad terms like Kirkland.

Link

sam,

Ford is a great coach with a bunch of overachievers on his team despite their lofty high school ratings or McDonalds appearences, oh, and his recruiting prowess are unmatched. If some guys don't pan out, it is becuase they sucked to begin with and the team is better off without them.

Compare to Capel, who can't recruit or coach his way out of a papersack unless Blake Griffin is somehow involved, and if some guys don't pan out, it is Capel's fault and becuase he can't evaluate talent and is a shmuck for honoring his promise to the kids and their parents.

I expect that type of logic from an oSu fan becuase it serves their agenda, but I certainly don't get why I have to read it 50 times a day in 50 different ways on an OU board coming from OU "fans".

Link

Yep, same walker. Ford got the job in April and only had 1 summer to recruit these kids. He will not continue to run kids off. We are in on some big talent in 2011 and i guarentee he will not oversign

Ford did it last year and is doing it again this year. He's signed 5 this year with only 3 spots open. Gotta do whatever it takes to be competitive. Oh and he's still looking to sign kahlil mcdonald

I am with Blankership here. We have kids with bad attitudes, personal agenda's, they play lazy D and are making terrible off the court decisions. We need to oversign and run some of them. Sorry but if you aren't going to play by the rules good bye.

Otherwise have fuin going 500 again next year and being one of 3 big 12 teams not make the NCAA or NIT. Oh and we will be shopping for a new coach next year.

I am with Blankership here. We have kids with bad attitudes, personal agenda's, they play lazy D and are making terrible off the court decisions. We need to oversign and run some of them. Sorry but if you aren't going to play by the rules good bye.

Otherwise have fuin going 500 again next year and being one of 3 big 12 teams not make the NCAA or NIT. Oh and we will be shopping for a new coach next year.

Exactly, Being Mr. Nice guy will get you nowhere in this league

That's true. If we have basically the same roster next year how much will really change if these guys can't play together?

There is a difference between getting rid of a kid who is a bad egg and just pulling a scholarship because you screwed up in evaluating the kid. If the kid agrees to leave mutually than so be it but if you just show him the door and it becomes a common theme it is going to negatively affect recruiting in the future. Other coaches are going to notice and point that out when competing with Ford for a kid and like I said before high school and AAU coaches will notice as well and tell their kids about it.

There is a difference between getting rid of a kid who is a bad egg and just pulling a scholarship because you screwed up in evaluating the kid. If the kid agrees to leave mutually than so be it but if you just show him the door and it becomes a common theme it is going to negatively affect recruiting in the future. Other coaches are going to notice and point that out when competing with Ford for a kid and like I said before high school and AAU coaches will notice as well and tell their kids about it.

I disagree that doing it over the course of a season or two is going to leave a permenant black mark on that coach. Now, if it happens every season for 5 straight year, maybe. I'd like to see Capel do it this year, and Ford probably needs to curb that practice after this year.

I disagree that doing it over the course of a season or two is going to leave a permenant black mark on that coach. Now, if it happens every season for 5 straight year, maybe. I'd like to see Capel do it this year, and Ford probably needs to curb that practice after this year.

If we don't already have that plan in place and have kids targeted I see us going 500 next year. Is everyone okay with going 500 next year and being a Big 12 bottom feeder?

OU missed the boat. When you talk about James Johnson, and all the PF/C prospects we missed in the boat on them. The other factor is we are pretty good on guards so we don't need to go heavy with Juco guards. In the Junior College ranks, their are potentially three stand out post players. 1A is Ricardo Ratliff, Two is Eloy Vargas, and Three is Ndyaie. Those guys are going to look and see where the chips fall and see where the best place to get mjor PT will be. OU will be one of those places, but at the same time, so will UK and probably KU because they're going to be losing, Patterson and Cousins. Now, with UT possibly losing Pittman and Washington and UCLA vying for a post, OU is going to be lucky to even be in line for an impact player from the JUCO or college ranks. Capel has to push heavy PT, and that's going to be hard at the C postion with Gallon. It will be a little easier at the PF.

OU missed the boat. When you talk about James Johnson, and all the PF/C prospects we missed in the boat on them. The other factor is we are pretty good on guards so we don't need to go heavy with Juco guards. In the Junior College ranks, their are potentially three stand out post players. 1A is Ricardo Ratliff, Two is Eloy Vargas, and Three is Ndyaie. Those guys are going to look and see where the chips fall and see where the best place to get mjor PT will be. OU will be one of those places, but at the same time, so will UK and probably KU because they're going to be losing, Patterson and Cousins. Now, with UT possibly losing Pittman and Washington and UCLA vying for a post, OU is going to be lucky to even be in line for an impact player from the JUCO or college ranks. Capel has to push heavy PT, and that's going to be hard at the C postion with Gallon. It will be a little easier at the PF.

Vargas is the kid that signed with Florida out of high school right???

Vargas is the kid that signed with Florida out of high school right???

He is, but Antigua out of UK has been on him hard and Antigua is a killer recruiter with the Latin kids. However, UK can't get them all. If they get Vargas, where does that leave them with Jones and Leslie. UK is also in on Ratcliff. So OU should have a chance at some recruits just through the process of elimination.

Ford did it last year and is doing it again this year. He's signed 5 this year with only 3 spots open. Gotta do whatever it takes to be competitive. Oh and he's still looking to sign kahlil mcdonald

I'm talking about OU not ford..

Back