West Virginia at OU

I don't think the team has given up completely yet. They did make a little come back at one point, but I dunno if it was more of WVU not playing as hard or OU playing better. Maybe we should message Colton and ask him?

To their credit, they haven't given up. However, I question how this team can not be ready to play given their record. They know they can't just show up and win against anybody. For goodness sake, Sherri said she knew but didn't do anything to get them motivated before the game.

This team has to live and die with Pellington on the court, she is the best player on the team. She just needs to be under control. She was the spark that stopped the bleeding and made the comeback possible and the others were playing with her.

To their credit, they haven't given up. However, I question how this team can not be ready to play given their record. They know they can't just show up and win against anybody. For goodness sake, Sherri said she knew but didn't do anything to get them motivated before the game.

This team has to live and die with Pellington on the court, she is the best player on the team. She just needs to be under control. She was the spark that stopped the bleeding and made the comeback possible and the others were playing with her.

Most of the fans are down on Shay, but look at who she has to play with... I wouldn’t be shocked if she looks to transfer, I’m sure no one expect her to win any big 12 awards last year yet she did...

Most of the fans are down on Shay, but look at who she has to play with... I wouldn’t be shocked if she looks to transfer, I’m sure no one expect her to win any big 12 awards last year yet she did...
Shaina doesn't play well with others. That has hurt. If you can get into an open court game, she excels. You can't always do that. In a half-court game, she isn't good at using her quickness to set up someone else, and she tends to miss layups that are defended, throwing them up wildly.

Even when she played for the Canadian national team, she wasn't a real point guard. She was outstanding in a street ball game. When their teams didn't play well, Pellington for Canada and Davis (Tennessee) for the US got into a streetball game. They both scored about thirty. But, they didn't find a way to include others in their little game.

Shaina has to learn what to do when she doesn't have the ball. that is what gives freshmen problems. Seniors have learned how their movements affect other players,, as well as how other players movements should affect them. Shaina hasn't learned this.

You know, I was just thinking the same thing watching the game. If she gets kept out of the starting lineup for much longer or for the rest of the season I can almost guarantee you that she will transfer. She IS our best player but probably our most inconsistent player as well...UNTIL NEXT SEASON. I'd be interested to see what Syb expects the rest of the season to turn out like, after what happened today. what should we expect at this point? I really thought after we played Connecticut closely that our season might turn around and we might knock off a few teams we are not expected to knock off but the last three games have proven me wrong... I'm pretty sure I'm not going to watch the next few games just to save myself some frustration, heck, I might be done watching for the season at this point , which is a shame because I've been a loyal follower and not missed but a handful of games over the last several years... This is how a program loses loyal fans :-(

The irony of Pellington is she is an uptempo player and OU is SLOW. This is not an athletic basketball team. Besides Pellington and Ana, no one on this team can push the basketball. You want to play fast but the team is so slow that they get into half court games. Half court games are a disaster for this team because they are also short. They get pounded on the boards. I agree that is not Pellington's game but she is the key if OU is to win some games this year. This long season has just begun.

I don't think this team has given up. I thought they played hard but at the same time had no clue. I don't remember Sherri being up and yelling as much as she was this game and she was often talking to the players as they were subbed out which I don't remember her really doing before. Agree that Shaina is too fast for this team. She would race down the court and be the only one there and then with no way to the basket and no other team mates around have a turnover.

The problem with this team is not that they don't show up and play hard most of the time, the biggest problem is that they are totally fundamentally inept. They can't hit lay ups. They shoot below the rim or just throw the ball up hoping to get a foul, and then miss half their free throws. They don't block out, they don't follow their shots, they don't know how to set proper screens to free up shooters. Need I go on. This is definitely on an inept coaching staff.

We were 12 of 38 from two point range, think about how many close in shots we missed or got blocked. This was a winnable game. Our kids don't know how to finish. Until they study film and correct their mistakes, and poor fundamentals, they will be lucky to win three more games this season.

Our recap...

NORMAN — A late comeback by the Oklahoma women’s basketball team fell short as the Sooners were edged 66-55 by West Virginia on Sunday afternoon at Lloyd Noble Center.

Trailing by as many as 22 points in the first half, OU (5-10, 1-3 Big 12) battled but came up short against the Mountaineers (11-4, 2-2). OU cut the deficit to six points midway in the fourth quarter, but could not get closer.

After shooting 28 percent in the first two quarters, the Sooners went 11-of-24 (.458) in the third and fourth. Similarly, the Sooner defense held WVU to 6-of-29 from the field and without a 3-pointer in the second half after allowing the Mountaineers to shoot 44 percent in the opening half.

Post game Sherri just said she knew the girls weren’t focused and motivated for the game and she could tell it in the warm-up.

Sometimes that happens.

It made me wonder, however, if this team has given up or may be on the verge of giving up.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it the coaches job to get players to focus and to motivate them?

Anyone hear anything from Sherri as to why Ijeoma Odimgbe only played 5 minutes? She is 6-4, she might have helped us keep from being killed on the boards! WV out-boarded us 57-35, and had 16 2nd-chance points to our 2. That right there is a strong indication as to why we lost.

An observation from Raoul. Baylor has five freshmen ranked in the top thirty of Texas (or the nation or something). Against UConn, they played one. I don't think they played any sophomores.

Against us and Baylor, UConn played one freshman (Williams) and one sophomore (Walker). Both teams were dominated by juniors, and especially seniors (Samuelson, Collier, Brown, Cox). Baylor's freshman played 15 minutes. UConn did play a second freshman for four minutes. I think she was the number 4 or 5 rated freshman.

Our freshmen and sophomores probably accounted for 198 minutes against UConn.

Baylor and UConn (and most good teams) start four juniors and seniors and mix in a freshman or sophomore into their lineup. They have time for the freshman to learn. The juniors and seniors have worked together long enough that they can cover for most of the errors of the freshman. Even now, you can see Geno's frustration with Walker who he needs to step up next year.

Meanwhile, we have a team that averages 19.1 years old. There are no juniors and seniors from whom to learn, who might cover for a one freshman's mistakes. There are four other freshmen and sophomores out there who are still making a lot of mistakes.

At 19, most kids are trying to find their way to class and still have no clue as to how to take notes. By the time they are seniors,, they know how to take notes, or they are gone. These kids are learning how to play at a speed that they had never thought of until now. The worst kid on the bench was a highschool star.

Yes, looking at the roster, 10 of the 12 players listed are either freshmen or sophomores, specifically 7 freshmen and 3 sophs. Only 2 seniors, Ijeoma and Gileysa.

Not good.

Yes, looking at the roster, 10 of the 12 players listed are either freshmen or sophomores, specifically 7 freshmen and 3 sophs. Only 2 seniors, Ijeoma and Gileysa.

Not good.

Who built that roster of 7 freshmen, 3 sophomores and 2 seniors. That is who is responsible for this mess. I think most in their lay person opinion have concluded that the failure to recruit quality players is the primary cause of the problem.

Isn't it the coaches job to get players to focus and to motivate them?

Sorry, I have to disagree with you! Coaches should never have to motivate players or get them focused especially at the college level. After having coached basketball for many years it really bothered me that people expected me to get them motivated to play. My job as a coach was to prepare them for the next team we were to play. A coach should never want to win more than the players. I never had to have someone motivate me when I was a player. I couldn't wait to get on the floor. Young players sometimes have a tough time figuring things out especially if they are the ones expected to be the major contributors. This is the problem at OU, they don't have older players as leaders that can show them

We are just so very young, all of them.

They will survive, I just don't think this is going to turn out to be a very pretty year. After having finished no where near the bottom in such a long time, it is a tough sour pill to swallow.

They will learn though, that is usually what freshmen do......and a lot of times they run out of steam by February.

We are just so very young, all of them.

They will survive, I just don't think this is going to turn out to be a very pretty year. After having finished no where near the bottom in such a long time, it is a tough sour pill to swallow.

They will learn though, that is usually what freshmen do......and a lot of times they run out of steam by February.

I get that they are young. But does that excuse how foolish some of these errors are? SC's teams are prone to high turnovers and this does not seem to change much as the players age. I think youth is a little bit of a factor this year but I really wonder what this very same group would be like under a different coaching staff? Id have to argue they'd have won more than 5 games so far under a different coach. I mean look at our two seniors now... they've not improved one bit since they stepped foot on campus, who's to say these youngsters will? My point is, I think it is the coaching, not as much the youth. I'm sure this season will be a 'pass' season, but mark my words SC will be on the ADs radar and if next season isn't an improvement, she's gone! 3 years in a row under 20 wins is inexcusable!

I get that they are young. But does that excuse how foolish some of these errors are? SC's teams are prone to high turnovers and this does not seem to change much as the players age. I think youth is a little bit of a factor this year but I really wonder what this very same group would be like under a different coaching staff? Id have to argue they'd have won more than 5 games so far under a different coach. I mean look at our two seniors now... they've not improved one bit since they stepped foot on campus, who's to say these youngsters will? My point is, I think it is the coaching, not as much the youth. I'm sure this season will be a 'pass' season, but mark my words SC will be on the ADs radar and if next season isn't an improvement, she's gone! 3 years in a row under 20 wins is inexcusable!

No way is Sherri gone after 2019-20 season regardless of record. Should things remain in the doldrums through 2020-21 or 2021-22 her seat might get hot. Joe Castiglione is a big Sherri supporter and that is not going to change near term. JMHO.

Back