What is Capel's Opinion of his job now

Section31

Reaction score
I know we've cussed/discussed this in the past, but after what appears another banner recruiting year with some HUGE possibilities coming.

Do you guys think JC is surprised at the success he's having attracting big time HS players? Even as big of a fan as I am and as much as I appreciate JC, I am blown away by his success so far.

I think if you gave him a truth serum, he would say he didn't expect this kind of reception from top HS talent.

Fan support will have to continue to increase, I think that will be a big factor. Somehow pulling together the money for a new arena would go a long way as well.

Most impressive about Coach is his eye for talent, why it isn't like Pledger and Fitz weren't chopped liver it was not expected (at least I didn't) to have this much of an instant impact early.

Jeff is a great coach. He is too young by normal standards but by being a coaches son and point guard, he got it early. We all were lucky to have Ms and Mr Griffin in the state, including Jeff. So its a perfect storm of timing and youth and it. We only need an extra couple of thousand real fans to roll this program up to a top 10 level. That kind of program may keep him here for a long time.

Jeff also has some great assistants to help evaluate and recruit talent.

Short of Duke or maybe a UCLA/Kentucky with a big bag of cash upfront and long term guaranteed contract I think he'll be in Norman for a while.

Short of Duke or maybe a UCLA/Kentucky with a big bag of cash upfront and long term guaranteed contract I think he'll be in Norman for a while.

...and I guess that was the point of my original post.

Let's say this success continues and the program grows. Does he simply become Bob Stoops and say, "thanks, but no thanks...".

I've always been of the mind that the basketball coach at OU has a pretty nice set up, IF he can accept being second-fiddle for a few months (when it comes to fan support). If he wins, the fan support is not an issue any more AND the administration pretty much gives him unlimited resources. Add in that he can use the football program as quite a recruiting tool.

I just kinda think he's a little surprised in how he (his assts) and our program are attracting high-end recruits.

I think if he leaves it's for a school with great fan support. That is the glaring weakness in the OU job. Capel's Duke background actually hurts OU in this regard. Because he knows what it's like to have that support.

I know the Carolina fan support in the regional final seemed 5 times greater than ours. Even Syracuse had us by a bit. The kind of support that makes a neutral court into a semi home court that gets you to a final four can be more important than budget....I feel a thread coming on

Given OU's struggles in football this year, I think it's possible that a solid start to the CBB season could bring out some incremental fans that were on the sidelines last year. I think OU fans are desparate for some good news, and if it comes in the form of BB, then that's just fine.

I remember the support we had back in the 80's/90's. It was legit. When Billy Ball was on top of the world, LNC was packed and loud. It's been tough some lately, but I think our fans can support the team. It's taking more time than I expected, but I think there is some residual resentment from the distate that many had for Kelvin Sampson. He was certainly not the man or style for many in this state.

I'm not sure if we will ever run with the UNCs and Dukes of the world, when it comes to fan support. But I do believe the potential from some great fan support, is there. I also believe Capel might have a similar feeling. If I remember correctly, he has said something of the like, before. I know he likes his job here. The bigger question is will that ever change?

I think we really need to work on the fan support.
It was really disappointing to see the crowd for opening day as low as it was on Saturday.
Especially with 75,000 more people in town for the football game.

Back