What is it with people leaving early?

i started going to games with my dad in the late 70's, it's always been like this.

Dad would stay to the end of every game (as a donor, too....gasp!).

and peoples want an "on campus arena". how do you think that will go for parking/exit out of Norman?

It would actually work a lot better on campus. The reason is simple: you would have people parked in multiple locations exiting onto different streets unlike LNC where everyone is in one big parking lot with a handful of exit/street options to get out. On campus, assuming the arena is built east of the stadium, you would have donor parking in the remaining Duck Pond surface lot to the east exiting onto Brooks, a new parking garage north for people exiting onto Jenkins, and another parking garage south for people exiting onto Lindsey in addition to the existing stadium parking garage for people exiting onto Asp as well people who park in the neighborhood around campus or on Campus Corner where they can eat/drink before or after the game. It would be so much better.

You rarely hear people complain about leaving Thunder games because parking there is scattered in numerous locations and they have 17,000+ for every game. A lot of people go to Bricktown a couple hours before to eat and then going there again after the game to drink. An on-campus arena's distance to Campus Corner would be the same distance as the Ford Center to Bricktown.

Last edited:
It would actually work a lot better on campus. The reason is simple: you would have people parked in multiple locations exiting onto different streets unlike LNC where everyone is in one big parking lot with a handful of exit/street options to get out. On campus, assuming the arena is built east of the stadium, you would have donor parking in the remaining Duck Pond surface lot to the east exiting onto Brooks, a new parking garage north for people exiting onto Jenkins, and another parking garage south for people exiting onto Lindsey in addition to the existing stadium parking garage for people exiting onto Asp as well people who park in the neighborhood around campus or on Campus Corner where they can eat/drink before or after the game. It would be so much better.

Same scenario...people would still leave early because of the bottleneck getting out of the parking garages. Trust me, I go to school which has two garages as the primary parking and when the night classes get out at the same time, you basically sit in the garage for 20 minutes before you get onto a city street.

You rarely hear people complain about leaving Thunder games because parking there is scattered in numerous locations and they have 17,000+ for every game. A lot of people go to Bricktown a couple hours before to eat and then going there again after the game to drink. An on-campus arena's distance to Campus Corner would be the same distance as the Ford Center to Bricktown.

i'm going to openly disagree with that. i grew up in Norman and both my parents live there...in central Norman. Lindsey is a screwup when the students move in, let alone 18 times a year with hoops games. Imhoff is wall-to wall...but, Jenkins, Chautauqua won't be?....c'mon?

the university already destroyed a whole street of homes (where people grew up, lived, grew old and died) so we can have some pic-nic benches that get used 6-7 times a year.

i personally think it's kind of weird people think walking from "campus" to the LNC is "that far". like enough to keep students from attending games? if that is the critical difference for a student to walk half a mile (or drive, as apparently needs to be the case)...to see a game?

additionally, as a townie, would you like to have beer bottles and crap thrown in your back yard, people breaking your car windows on the street and other sets of vandalism and other private property damage *you have to pay for* so Sooner fan from another town can get his rocks off 30 times a year for the "greater good"? i don't think so.

Last edited:
i'm going to openly disagree with that. i grew up in Norman and both my parents live there...in central Norman. Lindsey is a screwup when the students move in, let alone 18 times a year with hoops games. Imhoff is wall-to wall...but, Jenkins, Chautauqua won't be?....c'mon?

the university already destroyed a whole street of homes (where people grew up, lived, grew old and died) so we can have some pic-nic benches that get used 6-7 times a year.

i personally think it's kind of weird people think walking from "campus" to the LNC is "that far". like enough to keep students from attending games? if that is the critical difference for a student to walk half a mile (or drive, as apparently needs to be the case)...to see a game?

additionally, as a townie, would you like to have beer bottles and crap thrown in your back yard, people breaking your car windows on the street and other sets of vandalism and other private property damage *you have to pay for* so Sooner fan from another town can get his rocks off 30 times a year for the "greater good"? i don't think so.

Michael Phillip Wright, is that you?

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6O13gw4p0Q[/ame]

Last edited:
I am one of those people that say if they bought the ticket they have the right to do what they want to do.

Well nobody's talking about locking the doors from the outside at tip off big man. I'm just saying spend an extra 20 minutes of your life and support your team. Particularly when you're leaving a 2 pt game with 3 minutes left. Isn't that the best part of the game?

I have to say, with Saturday being my first game in attendance this year (ugh), that I was actually impressed with how many people stayed to the end. I thought it was MUCH better than I had previously seen. I'm also usually one of the most outspoken about our crowd, or lack thereof.

That being said, I thought the student section being half-full was embarrassing.

I'm a dreaded donor. Attend every game. Stay to the end. Park in the donor section. Don't persecute me. lol I did all of the above Saturday and was on my couch in North Norman 10 minutes later. It's just dumb to leave early. Why even go if you are going to leave with the game in doubt?

I'm a dreaded donor. Attend every game. Stay to the end. Park in the donor section. Don't persecute me. lol I did all of the above Saturday and was on my couch in North Norman 10 minutes later. It's just dumb to leave early. Why even go if you are going to leave with the game in doubt?

:clap:clap:clap

You can't always assume that people are leaving early.

Last week my friend went to take his son to the bathroom with 5 minutes left in the game and some of the fans started yelling and cussing at him.

Saturday, my dad and I went to the game. With less than a minute left we moved from down low by the band, all the way up to the corner by the entrance so that we could beat the crowd out the door in route to an hour drive home. We didn't miss a single play of the game, but still people gave us greif thinking we were leaving when the game was not over.

You can't always assume that you know what people are doing.

Is it safe for me to assume that some of the hundreds if not thousands of people streaming towards the exits with 3 minutes left in the game were leaving early? Yes. Am I assuming that every last one of them were? No.

As much as you like to believe, there are more people that are actually leaving the arena than staying on the concourse. I pointed it out to my dad at the amount of people not staying for the final minutes of a close game. It blows my mind. We waited til the end and still got out of there and home in less than a half hour. And we live on the south-side of moore. People are ridiculous

As much as you like to believe, there are more people that are actually leaving the arena than staying on the concourse. I pointed it out to my dad at the amount of people not staying for the final minutes of a close game. It blows my mind. We waited til the end and still got out of there and home in less than a half hour. And we live on the south-side of moore. People are ridiculous

Oh yeah, I realize that a lot of folks are leaving the arena, but was just pointing out that there is a large group of folks that have grown fond of the upper concourse in order to try and beat the traffic.

It really hasn't been that bad (folks actually leaving the arena) during the past two games....

Oh yeah, I realize that a lot of folks are leaving the arena, but was just pointing out that there is a large group of folks that have grown fond of the upper concourse in order to try and beat the traffic.

It really hasn't been that bad (folks actually leaving the arena) during the past two games....

I beg to differ. The place looked half empty by the time Tiller was called for travelling. Until that point (and the following free throws made by Warren) the game was completely in question. The crowd wouldn't have been there to make noise if the team needed them. Were people in a huge hurry to return xmas gifts on a Saturday afternoon?

Not much we can do but gripe about it though... it just sucks to have that many impatient "fans".

Yeah what if, like the bedlam game, it went into overtime. Then you've got an arena full of 6,000 fans to cheer on the team. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks but I think if you polled 100 sports fans on what is the best part of a basketball game the vast majority would say the last 2 minutes. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, I thought the student section being half-full was embarrassing.

You'd think the students would have been out in full force vs a good team like Mizzou. That is disappointing. With the way the Antlers treat the opposition at Mizzou I like to see the other Big 12 schools students treat give them the medicine.

School doesn't start until Tuesday. What can you do. They're the least of our problems.

School doesn't start until Tuesday. What can you do. They're the least of our problems.

I hope that was the only reason (tip time didn't help either). I was pretty embarrassed and disappointed. Luckily, the rest of the crowd was loud and larger than I expected. Sort of made up for it....

12th,

Sadly, I have seen much worse in recent years.

You'd think the students would have been out in full force vs a good team like Mizzou. That is disappointing. With the way the Antlers treat the opposition at Mizzou I like to see the other Big 12 schools students treat give them the medicine.

Cheno, not sure if you realize this or not since you rarely can get your mind off KU basketball, but Mizzou is not OU's rival in basketball....

The student section was as expected for a noon tip on Saturday before school starts.

if people get home 10 minutes early, what are they doing with that extra 10 minutes that is so important.people need to slow down a little and relax, enjoy what you are doing while you are doing it, that 10 minutes saved leaving early or 5 minutes speeding ends up being wasted most likely at home. by the way you can't lock doors as the fire marshall would have a fit

Last edited:
Back