What kind of "big guy" do you prefer at OU?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Do you prefer the more versatile, more athletic guys (Brackins, Arthur, Rogers, Jones, Lyons, etc) or the traditional centers like Cole Aldrich, Aleks Maric, Antanas Kavalauskas, Longar Longar, Dexter Pittman, etc)?

I am excluding guys like Blake, Beasley, Durant, etc because they arent your traditional college players. They are freaks who didnt belong in college basketball.

Personally, I like to have both but it seems Capel doesnt have much interest in the traditional center. He seems to like smaller, versatile, more athletic guys. None of the 2010 guys are traditional centers that I have seen, and the two posts he brought in this year are 6'7'' and 6'8''.

He isnt really recruiting any 6'11'' or 7'0'' players, nor have I ever known him to outside of Orlando Allen.

I think it depends on who you have playing beside him.

I like posts that compliment each other. What Blake really needed was a post like Ace or maybe Tiny to play beside.

Tiny is extremely versatile and athletic for a guy his size. There aren't many post players in the Big 12 who can score inside and shoot the ball from the perimeter, as well as handle and pass with his efficiency. IMO, the perfect compliment would be a quick, athletic, high-riser. Juan fit that description somewhat, except his offensive game was woefully lacking compared to guys like Brackins, Jones, and the others on your first list.

I like Andrew Fitzgerald because he is a tough, hard-nosed banger inside who works hard on defense and rebounds with a vengeance. I think he might have what it takes to work his way into the top of the rotation opposite Tiny, unless Ryan and/or the Big O surprise everyone, including me. I'm not sure about his handles and passing skills, but he appears to have a nice shooting touch to fifteen feet or so.

I guess what I'm saying is that we already have solid post players on our roster. We're just missing a more athletic, super-active guy with the versatility to create his own shots, rebound and get the crowd fired up with follow slams. That's the type of post player I would like to see in our 2010 class.

I like versatile, athletic, enduranced "big guy" like mizzou's setup last season. They weren't loaded with talent but had no prob playing with good teams cause they outran and outhustled everyone they played. I would like to get away from Kelvin style offense and finally see what Capel can crank out with his own recruits playing Capel ball.

I don't ever want to recruit a guy with "upside" over a guy who can score. A 38-inch vertical is nice, but if he can't catch an entry to the post or corral a rebound then I don't care to have him.

Stay away from athletes. Get basketball players.

I prefer the versatile guys, just because they've most likely spent time working on their skills to compensate for the lack of height. Too often, the traditional centers coming out of high school have relied so much on their physical advantages, that it's difficult to get them to the fundamental soundness that you need at the college level. Thus, while they often do score/block/rebound, they underachieve somewhat as well (see Oden, Greg).

However, if you find a 6' 11"+ recruit that's been doing the Mikan drill since middle school, you do not hesitate to recruit the hell out of him. Quite simply, you have an absolute scoring machine on your hands.

I would love to have big guys like Blake Griffin, Wayman Tisdale, and Stacy King. Add Danny Manning, and that's the Mount Rushmore of Big 12 basketball.

I'll take any type of big man as long as they're not referred to as a "stiff" or a "project".

I prefer this type of big guy...
wayman_tisdale.jpg

You take all the Luis Colon's you can get, and laugh all the way to the Phillips 66 big 12 championship.

You take all the Luis Colon's you can get, and laugh all the way to the Phillips 66 big 12 championship.

Hey fatty, how many games with the KSU football team win this year? I want your prediction.

I'm with Ada on this one. If Fitz comes in and plays like he has been playing. He will be a wonderful compliment to Tiny. At that point we will have a two headed monster because Fitz likes to rebound, and I think that he will make a very good contribution to our team doing that this year. This will allow Tiny to look for his offense a little more knowing that we have a capable rebounder in the game. This is the scenario that could very well take place. However, Orlando and Ryan might have something else to say about that. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Hey fatty, how many games with the KSU football team win this year? I want your prediction.

what a fantastic question adb. we REALLY need a football board.

I'll go with 7. That's right, the cats will be bowlin. :chestram2:

what a fantastic question adb. we REALLY need a football board.

I'll go with 7. That's right, the cats will be bowlin. :chestram2:

Or maybe an "other OU sports" board. Basketball first here!

To me, there's nothing like a good, tough JUCO big man to fill out your roster...

I prefer a big man who can put up 22pt 14 rebounds per game....:bgriff624_jpg_xs:

Back