What this means for the future

Darwin

Reaction score
Wasn't sure in the beginning but looks like it is going to happen. So what this likely means to basketball and more minor sports, OU/tx will put the SEC as clearly the best financed conference which translates to the most prestigious conference. Facilities, recruiting budgets, player compensation. I'm not here to say this all makes me happy but I see the benefits. This basketball program will become bigger and better walking into any high school or living room. Put simply, we will win some recruiting battles we likely lost before, ku, baylor, zaga, zona etc.

Yes it is a football world and the SEC TV package will be the most sought after to the point that they can and should have demands. If it's a high quality conference management team it will prepare a TV package for bidding with requirements for prime slots for their sports on prime networks, not FS2.

I think we will get money for upgrades for facilities in the next 5-10 years so that will be good. There's gonna be a conference that's probably still top heavy but less good towards the bottom. The Big 12 has been fairly balanced the last 5-6 years with very few really bad teams and a bunch of decent to really good teams.

But the top of the SEC is still gonna be tough. Arkansas is building a big time program. Alabama is really good. Tennessee has been really good with Rick Barnes. Kentucky is basically Kansas they will probably be really good even though they struggled last year. Florida has been pretty good in recent years. If Moser builds his program we should be right there towards the top half.

Every game will probably be on an ESPN network. Maybe CBS still picks up some. But no more games on Fox Sports networks.

SEC is now essentially an NFL development league now, which will lead to even larger profits, which will spill into other sports. The SEC was already on the rise in basketball, and the addition of OU and Beard-led UT will push it near the top given the collapse of the Big 12. It would not completely surprise me if SEC was king in football, basketball, baseball, and softball within the next 5-10 years. And for good measure, they will also have the best gymnastics program.

SEC is now essentially an NFL development league now, which will lead to even larger profits, which will spill into other sports. The SEC was already on the rise in basketball, and the addition of OU and Beard-led UT will push it near the top given the collapse of the Big 12. It would not completely surprise me if SEC was king in football, basketball, baseball, and softball within the next 5-10 years. And for good measure, they will also have the best gymnastics program.

If you add OU and Texas to the SEC this past year:
National Champs
Football - Bama
W. Volleyball - Kentucky
M Swimming - Texas
Indoor T&F - Arkansas
Baseball - Miss State
W. Golf - Ole Miss
W Rowing - Texas
Softball - OU
M. Tennis - Florida
W. Tennis - Texas
M. Outdoor T&F - LSU

It means OU is going to have to upgrade their facility game if they want to compete, and that means donors kicking in $, A&M saw a huge influx of donations when they moved to the SEC, would think OU is going to need some program similar.

OU needs a new softball stadium, baseball stadium will need major upgrades and then the basketball arena is an issue. You also will always have to improve the football facilities and stadium.

It means OU is going to have to upgrade their facility game if they want to compete, and that means donors kicking in $, A&M saw a huge influx of donations when they moved to the SEC, would think OU is going to need some program similar.

OU needs a new softball stadium, baseball stadium will need major upgrades and then the basketball arena is an issue. You also will always have to improve the football facilities and stadium.

upgrades are coming anyway. But I bet season ticket sells go way up. Donors will be pepped up like they were in the early 2000s. I think we see a new basketball arena in 5 years. Softball/baseball are probably first. Stadium upgrades for football are likely coming. Probably press box upgrades and stuff like that first. But we need to see the stadium get closer to 100k in a decade I think.

Last edited:
upgrades are coming anyway. But I bet season ticket sells go way up. Donors will be pepped up like they were in the early 2000s. I think we see a new basketball arena in 5 years. Softball/baseball are probably first. Stadium upgrades for football are likely coming. Probably press box upgrades and stuff like that first. But we need to see the stadium get closer to 100k in a decade I think.

Good points. I think it was mentioned in the past, don't remember the boards feelings and with likely another 15k seats N endzone, some mass transit, likely rail, LNC to Campus.

Good points. I think it was mentioned in the past, don't remember the boards feelings and with likely another 15k seats N endzone, some mass transit, likely rail, LNC to Campus.

I think I read they still have some renovations to do with the press boxes that aren't quite finished and some other minor stadium things. But I expect baseball and softball to get their upgrades or new stadiums built first. Joe C proposed a big multi-purpose arena that even had shopping center and all types of stuff like a few years ago that got voted down. Maybe with more money that could get pushed through now if the city is covering less of it. I have no idea bout mass transit type stuff that sounds like more city being involved because you would have to deal with building stuff through the city for it to work. Plus rail systems always are big money losers. I hope we have a new basketball arena proposed before 2025 which will be the 50th year of the LNC. I'm not hopeful of it being built but maybe funded.

With the money we’ll be getting, it means we CAN upgrade everything. In the first 5 years alone, we’ll make close to $150 million more than if we stayed in the Big12. That’s just the TV money. Donations will be going through the roof too. This will be a huge step up to allow us to upgrade all of our facilities across all sports.

the athletic dept won't be spending a dime on mass transit or rail ..

the current football master plan has no expansion included .. (in may actually reduce seats a little bit)

it redoes the west side deck and adds an upper concourse to the north endzone .

the athletic dept won't be spending a dime on mass transit or rail ..

the current football master plan has no expansion included .. (in may actually reduce seats a little bit)

it redoes the west side deck and adds an upper concourse to the north endzone .

I under stand there is no plan for expansion now, but we just went from the 2nd largest capacity in conference to 9th. I wouldn't be surprised in the plans change some to add seats

I'm not saying a campus transit system would be sports based but it would be used to get local and commuter students to classes, functions, hoops, softball, baseball, soccer etc and fans parked at LNC to sports facilities. All this as the university continues to expand into the land it already possesses. It may be streetcars or electric buses whatever. This would be a cherry on top of the campus sundae and would help recruiting and attendance. Would it be worth the money, only if you had piles of it and a vision.

If you add OU and Texas to the SEC this past year:
National Champs
Football - Bama
W. Volleyball - Kentucky
M Swimming - Texas
Indoor T&F - Arkansas
Baseball - Miss State
W. Golf - Ole Miss
W Rowing - Texas
Softball - OU
M. Tennis - Florida
W. Tennis - Texas