What to expect from Capel next year?

thebigabd

Reaction score
In Capels first season, he didnt have much talent and only ended up with 15 or 16 wins and no post-season invites.

The next two years he had the best player in college basketball, and one of the best talents in OU basketball history. Even so, OU didnt win the Big 12 regular season or tournament, and lost in the elite 8. It was a fine season, sure, but its unfortunate that they didnt get one of the Big 12 trophies or a Final Four banner.

Next year will probably be something in the middle of those two extremes, but still, I have no idea what to expect.

Is Willie going to take a ton of shots per game? Will OU have a go-to guy? Will the offense look the same, but Gallon getting the touches instead of Blake?

I expect to be in the NCAA Tournament. How far should they go? Like you, I really have no idea at this point.

Tiny and TMG could struggle to adjust, Willie and Juan could continue their Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde performances, Tony and Cade continue to be is inconsistent and we go one and done. Or, Tiny and TMG make a major impact, Fitz and Pledger are better than expected, Willie takes the next step and becomes a Player of the Year candidate, Juan has more peaks than valleys, Tony is solid and avoids major slumps, Cade and Ray step up and we make a run to the Sweet 16 and possibly beyond.

It's gonna be a wild ride, IMO.

Last edited:
I think we will be pretty good if our defense improves. We will have pretty good depth which should help, but defensively, we need to kick it up a notch or two.

i expect somewhere in the 3/4/5 range in the big 12......semis of big 12 tourney......sweet 16 at best for ncaa's......

i would consider that quite a success

Great idea for a post...

I think we will finally see Capel's mythic motion offense for more than a few spots in the game. I also expect to see a lot of high-low action with Gallon, Fitzgerald and Pattillo (sort of like how he played Longar and Blake together). Gallon and Fitz also seem to be good screeners (Blake and Taylor weren't), so I think we will see a lot more pick and roll, pick and pop situations. Having bigs with strong face up games will really help open up the offensive sets, so Willie and TMG should have their fair share of open sets where they can get into the lane.

When you look how Capel's teams are starting to look (and how they will look next year with the guys we are in on), you can finally see the things that are a priority to him. He has brought in (and continues to bring in) guys that are athletic and versatile. He also is bringing in guys that have distinct physical traits. Willie, TMG, Pledger, Pattillo, Cade and TJ Taylor are all very strong for their position. Crocker and Willis have absurd length (as do Cam Clark and Oyedeji). Gallon, Fitzgerald and Allen are what one of my old coaches used to refer to when he said, "If there is a guy with stretch marks on his shoulders, you want him on your team."

I also think this will be the first season you see OU trying to play with more pace. They finally have the athletes and ball handlers to do it, so I expect a lot more running next season.

As far as how the team comes together and performs record-wise, who knows? I will throw out a guess once the schedule comes out, but I think that regardless of situation, my goal for every season will be to get to the sweet sixteen. So, as I watch them and look for them to improve as the season goes on I will be evaluating if they are playing well enough to get a decent seed in the tourney and if they are good enough to win 2 games once they get there.

As long as Capel is here, and barring any mass exodus or injuries, we should expect nothing less than the Sweet 16 every year.

My thoughts on how Capel's team will play next year run along the same vein as elmocarp's summation. Capel has been mostly bringing in long, athletic, versatile guards. What this tells me is that he wants a fast-paced game where the scoring threat can come from virtually anywhere and the opposition has a hard time finding "for sure" matchups that they can exploit.

Of course, TMG is not considered long, but he is considered a premier PG, a Lawson-type of player. And every team has to have some big bodies if only to prevent being exploited on the blocks, so getting some heavyweights like Tiny and Fitz are a must.

But generally, I think the OU team will field a team full of 6'4"-ish good to great shooters/slashers who will be hard to trap, hard to pick and roll, hard to double up, and hard to keep pace with. If OU can have 3-4 of these types of players on the floor at any given time that are fresh, then I see OU having a team similar to the recent Memphis teams, similar to UNC teams. A team that's not so much about running precision, set plays, but more about wearing the other team down with a constant barrage of fast break opportunities and half-court sets that don't allow a "set" defense to work.

i expect somewhere in the 3/4/5 range in the big 12......semis of big 12 tourney......sweet 16 at best for ncaa's......

i would consider that quite a success

I agree with this and anything else would just be gravy. I think we have the potential to be better but we are going to be so young. I think the team needs a guy like Crocker to step up and be a leader, if that happens I think the sky is the limit.

I agree that the team will run more. It was hard to really want to run when you knew you had an almost auto-basket if you can work it in to Blake in a decent position. Sure, we ran off of turnovers, but you expect to do that and score with some great athletes in Willie and Blake. This year I bet the tempo goes higher to try to get easier baskets in transition because we know it will be harder in the half court then it has been--especially if nobody steps up to hit three's at a consistent pace. Also, Gallon looks like a hell of a outlet passer to start the break.

If the defense doesn't improve, we won't be running any more than we have been.

That is the biggest "change" that needs to happen.

If the defense doesn't improve, we won't be running any more than we have been.

That is the biggest "change" that needs to happen.

I would agree that the defense needs to improve, and hopefully we will see much more consistent PG play.

Yep TU is right, the defense will tell you if we are a good running team or not. We won't have the length on defense we had last year with AJ, TG, and BG though. We could be a little quicker on defense, especially at guard.

I think we will finally see Capel's mythic motion offense for more than a few spots in the game.

Having bigs with strong face up games will really help open up the offensive sets, so Willie and TMG should have their fair share of open sets where they can get into the lane.

I also think this will be the first season you see OU trying to play with more pace. They finally have the athletes and ball handlers to do it, so I expect a lot more running next season.

My thoughts on how Capel's team will play next year run along the same vein as elmocarp's summation. Capel has been mostly bringing in long, athletic, versatile guards. What this tells me is that he wants a fast-paced game where the scoring threat can come from virtually anywhere and the opposition has a hard time finding "for sure" matchups that they can exploit.
This.

I expect a top 4 Big 12 finish and another win in the dance (maybe two if we can get the games in OKC). This team has so much potential. It will be interesting to see how far Coach Capel takes them.

I expect OU to be very good next year. I will dissappointed if OU is not in the Sweet 16 and I absolutely expect Capel to have a better showing at the Big XII Tournament. KU and Texas will be pretty good but I think OU has the players to win the conference (obviously that is tough being in the South, but I think OU can push KU).

Obviously OU will miss Blake (and AJ, Taylor and Omar) but OU is going to be talented. If TMG can come in and play well, OU is going to be loaded in the back court. Davis, Willis and Pledger are going to push TMG, Willie and Crocker for minutes. Those are very talented back-ups. I really hope things click for Willis because I think he has a lot of talent he just needs to figure out how to use at a Big XII level. We know Cade Davis is capable of putting up nice numbers off the bench and he should be even better next year. I also have high hopes for Pledger because of what he has done in high school.

I also think OU has a better front line than many people think. Gallon, Allen, Wright, Pattillo, Fitzgerald and Hardrick are an impressive front line. Regardless of who you say is the worst of the bunch, I can think of many years when OU would have loved to have any of those six players as the 3rd or 4th option (possibly even a starter). If Gallon is really a one and done type player, I am really not too concerned about the front court (other than the possibility of losing a really good player to a transfer).

Couldn't agree more on the defense. It was hard watching opposing teams make easy drives to the bucket with Blake backing off, trying to stay out of foul trouble.

I love the idea of being loaded with athletes and pushing the tempo up a notch.
I just hope and pray we can be more consistent with our outside shooting.

Kansas is so loaded that I have a hard time thinking we can win the Big XII outright, but you never know. I just can't wait to see a few games with the new guys, and a fit Allen and improved Willis.

I believe in this guy.....:jcapel

-ClipperSooner

As long as Capel is here, and barring any mass exodus or injuries, we should expect nothing less than the Sweet 16 every year.

Expecting the Sweet 16 every season will lead to some disappointments. Will we have a shot at the Sweet 16 every season? Probably. But upsets do happen and OU will participate in being upset in the tournament as well.

expecting the sweet 16 every season will lead to some disappointments. Will we have a shot at the sweet 16 every season? Probably. But upsets do happen and ou will participate in being upset in the tournament as well.

wow...

Back