Which trio are you taking to win a regular season Big 12 championship?

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Team A includes: Buddy, Isaiah and Jordan Woodard

Team B includes: Austin BB Johnson, Willie Warren (the Fr version) and Tony Crocker

Team C includes: Q White, Hollis and Ebi Ere

which team and why?

Team B includes: Austin BB Johnson, Willie Warren (the Fr version) and Tony Crocker

which team and why?

I would take Buddy, Isaiah, and Woodard.... The White/Hollis/Ere trio is great, but I like the athleticism and overall ability of Team A better.

This is tricky because as good as teams B & C were, they did not win a B12 regular season championship. Therefore, if team A does it this year, I'd be inclined to take them regardless of any other factors.

This is tricky because as good as teams B & C were, they did not win a B12 regular season championship. Therefore, if team A does it this year, I'd be inclined to take them regardless of any other factors.

Bad way to measure it IMO.

I think both OU and KU from 2002 would finish first in this year's Big 12 race. That KU team was stacked.

I would take Buddy, Isaiah, and Woodard.... The White/Hollis/Ere trio is great, but I like the athleticism and overall ability of Team A better.

I agree plus I believe the following:

1. Buddy is the best player of the bunch and the best scorer.
2. Buddy, Isaiah and Woodard shoot the three outrageously good and better than those guys.
3. Buddy, Isaiah and Woodard can all drive to the basket.
4. Isaiah, Woodard and Buddy handle the ball better overall.
5. Isaiah, Woodard and Buddy rebound better.

I'll go with the unknown! and take this years bunch.

Hield as a guard, is leading POY.

I've seen Ryan Minor and Blake Griffin put an effort to bring him some hardware, just seems as possible for Buddy to be nation POY.

I know Hollis Price was special, but seems like there were more to those teams than him.

Team C

Hollis and Buddy are a push in my mind... Hollis was so clutch!
White was so solid,,seemed like he ran the team better than woodard or Cousins.
Ebi Era I liked better for that team then Cousins. He could score and rebound well.

Very close but with Hollis being more clutch than Buddy I take team C

I'm going with D. Blaylock, Grace and Mullins/Sieger.

Team C

Hollis and Buddy are a push in my mind... Hollis was so clutch!
White was so solid,,seemed like he ran the team better than woodard or Cousins.
Ebi Era I liked better for that team then Cousins. He could score and rebound well.

Very close but with Hollis being more clutch than Buddy I take team C

What metrics do you use to support this conclusion? I loved Hollis Price but he doesn't do much better than Buddy and Buddy does a lot better than Hollis. Buddy averages 2 more (or 66%) more rebounds per game. Buddy is shooting at a higher percentage and shooting 3 pointers at .53 compared to .43 That is 25% better. Buddy has averaged more points each year of his career and is a full 7 points a game ahead of Hollis' senior year.

Hollis occasionally went off shooting to keep OU in games or take over games but Buddy has an ability to score in spurts that I personally think exceeds virtually any former Sooner that I can recall (I didn't see Wayman play much if at all).

I really liked Hollis Price and without a doubt he was a special player but Buddy is special among All Conference type players in my opinion.

What metrics do you use to support this conclusion? I loved Hollis Price but he doesn't do much better than Buddy and Buddy does a lot better than Hollis. Buddy averages 2 more (or 66%) more rebounds per game. Buddy is shooting at a higher percentage and shooting 3 pointers at .53 compared to .43 That is 25% better. Buddy has averaged more points each year of his career and is a full 7 points a game ahead of Hollis' senior year.

Hollis occasionally went off shooting to keep OU in games or take over games but Buddy has an ability to score in spurts that I personally think exceeds virtually any former Sooner that I can recall (I didn't see Wayman play much if at all).

I really liked Hollis Price and without a doubt he was a special player but Buddy is special among All Conference type players in my opinion.

It's funny you used the word "metric", and then named a bunch of non-metric stats. Keep in mind, especially this year, Buddy's OU team is playing at a much faster pace than Hollis' OU team. That means more points scored, more opportunities for rebounds/steals/assists, etc.

I actually had a long reply to your post above, but decided against posting it b/c I didn't have access to the kind of stats I wanted to use. Ken Pom has an offensive efficiency stat, by player, that I would love to see, but it's on the pay part of the site. I disagree that the Buddy group is better at ball handling or rebounding.

Also, you call Buddy a "special All Conference" player. Price himself was on numerous All-American teams, including 2nd team by the AP. He was third in the Wooden Award voting, which goes to the best college player. I don't say any of that to put Hollis ABOVE Buddy, as Buddy will likely have similar awards. But let's not forget just how special Hollis was. He and Ace were easily 2 of the top 5-7 players in the country the last couple of months of the season in 2002. Easily.

I also like White better than Woodard, and I was a big Ere fan. Too bad Ere was frequently injured during him time at OU.

In short, I think if you could balance out the stats to account for pace and competition, and find some good, well put together metrics, they'd certainly give WAY more credit to Hollis' bunch than you do. I will say this though.....Buddy and Woodard are currently on pace to produce the two best three point shooting percentage seasons in OU history. IF they don't fall off, that stat alone may benefit that group in any comparison. Hard to imagine they will keep up that pace though.

I also think Hollis' group defended better, but again, without a metric that evens out pace of play, that's a tough comparison to make.

I give Hollis' bunch a lot of credit. I think they were awesome. You are the one that said if healthy it wouldn't be close. I think it is very close but I like this group better. I think Buddy is a better all around player than Hollis. I like Woodard over White and I think Cousins and Ere are a push.

Team A due to 3 point shooting! If they get hot from 3 it's over! But this year so far has shown if they can't hit 3's. The driving ability of all 3 guards will win us games from the free throw line!

Team A due to 3 point shooting! If they get hot from 3 it's over! But this year so far has shown if they can't hit 3's. The driving ability of all 3 guards will win us games from the free throw line!

That is what separates them in my opinion. They shoot better than any set of guards in OU history and all three can get to the rim. I don't recall that in the past.

If Spangler can force his player to guard the 3 point line, that really opens things up for drives.

I think they rebound really well too. It amazes how often I see Woodard grab an important rebound.

Team A. This is the best back court we've had, and it's not very close.

which team and why?

Is this really a debate? It's Team C. Those 3 made it to the Elite 8 and Final 4.

With only making it to the sweet 16, Team A would have to win it all in order for me to pass on Hollis Price.

Is this really a debate? It's Team C. Those 3 made it to the Elite 8 and Final 4.

With only making it to the sweet 16, Team A would have to win it all in order for me to pass on Hollis Price.

Yep. People sleeping on Hollis/Ere/White just cracks me up.

Yep. People sleeping on Hollis/Ere/White just cracks me up.

People are prisoners of the moment in this thread, it happens. Hollis, ebi, and white was almost 15 years ago. But white doesn't get hurt and that group gives us our only title.

Just trio's, I would take A. But whole teams, I would take C. Aaron McGhee was better than anything OU has down low now (by far) and Detrick was pretty good, himself. But that is just my opinion.

Back