Which trio are you taking to win a regular season Big 12 championship?

It's a fun exercise because there isn't a right answer. Like most of you, I eliminated option B although I loved Austin Johnson. I think he's one of the most underrated PG's we've ever had. With those long arms he was a great defensive player. I look at Tony Crocker as a poor man's Buddy Hield.... he was streaky, and questions about Willie's attitude was an issue.

I think all 3 individual comparisons between A and C are very close and leave room for debate. I personally like Buddy over Hollis ..... and I really liked Hollis. I just think Buddy does more things. He's a good rebounder. Both are good outside shooters. Buddy's bigger and has a better ability of taking the ball to the basket. I call White and Woodard a push. I may like Woodard better as a senior, but I would have easily picked Quannas based on Woodard's first 2 years. Quannas was a great PG (floor general) but not as good of a shooter as Woodard is right now. I actually would pick Ere over Cousins if both are healthy. He was good and has played professional ball overseas for a lot of years and always is one of the better players in whatever league he plays in. Actually, White and Ere were jucos so we only had them for 2 years.

I'm probably biased like most of you to this year's trio because my memory of them is fresher. Not to be lost in these comparison's is the A group play under Kruger's wide-open, fun offense, whereas the C group played under Sampson's physical, grind-it-out system. Both were effective put both weren't pretty.

Not about careers. It's about this year, and with Buddy and Woodard's jumps and Isiaiah's successful transition to PG, it's an easy choice for this group.

Even though its Hollis Price's trio...these others were pretty good as well.

Brewer, Erdmann, and Najera. Even though Najera was only a freshman and didn't start all the games Brewer and Erdmann was a solid combo.

Maybe even Foster, Erdmann, and Minor

As this season goes on, I feel better and better about my pick of C. I think they just had more complete games than this current group.

A.

B gets zero consideration. C is very good but not even close, imo.

Has anyone changed their opinion from earlier?

Always felt like I was on the right side of this one. Q/Hollis/Ere were gamers. Those guys were tough, and knew how to win games. And they defended well as a unit. Take those guys every day of the week.

Still going with D. Of the three listed, C is clearly the best choice....unless, and only if, this team wins the national title.

Has anyone changed their opinion from earlier?

I'm not sure why anyone would change it until the entire season is over. If this team cannot get past the Sweet 16, then 'C' has to be the winner. While Ace McGhee was a huge part of the 2002 FF team, there was no one on the roster in 2003 that scared anyone in the post (much like this year). The Elite Eight team was clearly led by Hollis, Quannas and Ebi. Since choice 'C' also won the conference tourney both years together, the only way anyone can make a legit claim for choice 'A' is if they can make the Final Four.

I'll take the trio that actually won a a Big 12 title: Drew Lavender, Lawrence McKenzie, and Terrell Everett.

Back