08-09 vs today

I'd take the balance and scoring of this year's group over 2008-09. My composite team of the 2 would be...

1 - Isaiah Cousins
2 - Willie Warren
3 - Buddy Hield
4 - Ryan Spangler
5 - Blake Griffin

2nd unit
1 - Austin Johnson
2 - Jordan Woodard
3 - Tony Crocker
4 - Taylor Griffin
5 - Khadeem Lattin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd take the balance and scoring of this year's group over 2008-09. My composite team of the 2 would be...

1 - Isiah Cousins
2 - Willie Warren
3 - Buddy Hield
4 - Ryan Spangler
5 - Blake Griffin

Bench
Austin Johnson
Taylor Griffin
Khadeem Lattin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Jordan Woodard? One of the 2 best 3-Pt shooters in all of college basketball? :eek:

This team would smoke the '09 team.

And the starters would be this year's team with Blake starting over Lattin.

AJ had total control and was a smarter player than Cousins.. that's why I take him over Cousins. Other than that they are both really similar.

1 - Isaiah Cousins
2 - Willie Warren
3 - Buddy Hield
4 - Ryan Spangler
5 - Blake Griffin

2nd unit
1 - Austin Johnson
2 - Jordan Woodard
3 - Tony Crocker
4 - Taylor Griffin
5 - Khadeem Lattin

Good line-up! Crocker and AJ would barely see the court for me.

AJ had total control and was a smarter player than Cousins.. that's why I take him over Cousins. Other than that they are both really similar.

I'll have to rewatch some of his work. I was never overly impressed. Always thought he was fringy.

Very different looking shots though. Cousins flat. AJ threw it up in the rafters.

Jordan Woodard and Isaiah Cousins each score SIGNIFICANTLY more points per game, on better shooting percentages, better 3 point percentages, more rebounds per game, and equal (in Woodard's case) or better (in Cousin's case) assist to turnover ratio than Austin Johnson as a senior.

This team would smoke the '09 team.

And the starters would be this year's team with Blake starting over Lattin.

Smoke them? Not a chance. With Kruger coaching? Get real. '16 wouldn't smoke '09 even if Capel was coaching.

Willie Warren was so good as a freshman that he was voted the preseason POY (national) as a So. There still hasn't been a player as dominant as Blake in CBB since he left college. AJ, Taylor and Crocker all knew and played their roles well.

IF Capel coached then I would rather have '16 with Kruger playing in a national championship game. But if Kruger were coaching then I would take '09 in a natty.

Both are outstanding teams.

AJ was just much more consistent. I'd take the GOOD Cousins over AJ but man I wouldn't want to chance that on the day of a national championship! :)

What people forget about AJ is that he was pretty hurt during the latter part of his Sooner career. Anyone remember when he did a 360 dunk at "midnight madness" as a freshman. Man! :austin686_jpg_xs::austin686_jpg_xs::austin686_jpg_xs:

AJ would be my last pick from the starting 5s.

AJ was just much more consistent. I'd take the GOOD Cousins over AJ but man I wouldn't want to chance that on the day of a national championship! :)

What people forget about AJ is that he was pretty hurt during the latter part of his Sooner career. Anyone remember when he did a 360 dunk at "midnight madness" as a freshman. Man! :austin686_jpg_xs::austin686_jpg_xs::austin686_jpg_xs:

I do remember that 360 dunk and always wondered where it went. Obviously his injury lingered longer than most.

aj was consistently average to below average shooter ..

.260 .255 .579 as a frosh 3.1 ppg less than 2 ast and 2 rebounds
.394 .346 .926 as a spoh 7.0 ppg less than 3 ast and 1.8 rebounds
.394 .338 .733 as a Junior 8.6 ppg less than 3 ast and 2.7 rebounds

and as a senior .. .423 .346 and .781 with 3.8 ast and 3 boards ..

cousins

.279 .250 .684 2.7 ppg 1.6 and 2
.441 .404 .804 11.0 ppg 2.1 and 4.2
.424 .450 .648 11.7 ppg 2.2 and 4.6

and as a senior .427 .449 .600 13.1 ppg 4.5 and 4.3 and he is our best defender ..

I like AJ as well but cousins is the better player and it is not close ..

Last edited:
aj was consistently average to below average shooter ..

.260 .255 .579 as a frosh 3.1 ppg less than 2 ast and 2 rebounds
.394 .346 .926 as a spoh 7.0 ppg less than 3 ast and 1.8 rebounds
.394 .338 .733 as a Junior 8.6 ppg less than 3 ast and 2.7 rebounds

and as a senior .. .423 .346 and .781 with 3.8 ast and 3 boards ..

cousins

.279 .250 .684 2.7 ppg 1.6 and 2
.441 .404 .804 11.0 ppg 2.1 and 4.2
.424 .450 .648 11.7 ppg 2.2 and 4.6

and as a senior .427 .449 .600 13.1 ppg 4.5 and 4.3 and he is our best defender ..

I like AJ as well but cousins is the better player and it is not close ..
Agree. this shouldn't be the discussion. the discussion should be Cousins vs WWIII

Agree. this shouldn't be the discussion. the discussion should be Cousins vs WWIII

Why should it be Cousins vs WWIII? Cousins and AJ are both starting point gaurds.

It should be

Cousins vs AJ
Buddy vs WWIII

Back