What Oklahoma Loses and Returns Next Season

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Oklahoma Departing Scholarship Seniors
Minutes ............ Points .............. Player
1,309 (35.4 mpg) .. 925 (25.0 ppg) ... Buddy Hield (SR; 6-4; 214) .. started 37 games
1,234 (33.4 mpg) .. 468 (12.6 ppg) ... Isaiah Cousins (SR, 6-4; 200) .. started 37 games
1,212 (32.8 mpg) .. 376 (10.2 ppg) ... Ryan Spangler (SR; 6-8; 234) .. started 37 games
_ 437 (11.8 mpg) .. 122 (3.3 ppg) ..... Dinjiyl Walker (SR; 6-1; 203) .. played in 37 games

4,192 minutes for these Seniors = 56% of total team minutes
1,891 points for these Seniors = 64% of total team points

Oklahoma Returning Scholarship Players (> 100 minutes playing time)
Minutes ............ Points .............. Player
1,102 (29.8 mpg) .. 481 (13.0 ppg) .. Jordan Woodard (JR; 6-0; 187) .. started 37 games
_ 815 (22.0 mpg) .. 206 (5.6 ppg) ... Khadeem Lattin (SOPH; 6-9; 208) .. started 37 games
_ 442 (12.3 mpg) .. 126 (3.5 ppg) ... Dante Buford (RS-FR; 6-7; 221) .. played in 36 games
_ 330 (9.4 mpg) .... 102 (2.9 ppg) ... Christian James (FR; 6-4; 218) .. played in 35 games
_ 207 (7.7 mpg) ...... 33 (1.2 ppg) ... Jamuni McNease (RS-FR; 6-10; 215) .. played in 27 games
_ 200 (8.0 mpg) ...... 63 (2.5 ppg) ... Akolda Manyang (JR; 7-0; 243) .. played in 25 games
_ 109 (6.1 mpg) ...... 35 (1.9 ppg) ... Rashard Odomes (FR; 6-6; 200) .. played in 18 games

Oklahoma will have 5 newcomers (including 2 players already on the roster ##)
> Austin Grandstaff (G; 6-5; 190) Rockwall, TX | Ohio State Transfer ## (1)
> Matt Freeman (F; 6-10; 217) New Zealand ## (3)
> Kameron McGusty (G; 6-5; 175) Katy, TX | 2016 4-Star Recruit
> Kristian Doolittle (F; 6-7; 215) Edmond, OK
> Darrion Strong (PG; 6-1; 180) Oakdale, MN | Coffeyville CC (2)

(1) Sophomore to be; eligible after end of first semester; 2015 4-Star Recruit
(2) Junior to be; JUCO transfer
(3) Redshirt Freshman; enrolled at OU in January 2016

November 2015 – OU Press Release on Recruiting Class:
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArt...60&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210484492

Meet Austin Grandstaff, the Buckeye’s 2015 Recruit:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-grandstaff-the-buckeyes-latest-2015-recruit

At Ohio State
_ 115 (11.5 mpg) .... 44 (4.4 ppg) ... Austin Grandstaff (FR; 6-5; 190) .. played in 10 games

Last edited:
Re: What Oklahoma Losses and Returns Next Season

Team Summary: OU’s scoring averages for the 2015-16 basketball season.

Average Points Per Game
Games .... Points .... Average
12 .... 1,034 .... 86.2 .... Non-Conference Games
18 .... 1,393 .... 77.4 .... Big-12 Conference Games
_2 ....... 146 .... 73.0 .... Big-12 Tournament
_5 ....... 375 .... 75.0 .... NCAA Tournament Games

37 .... 2,948 .... 79.7 .... All Games (2015-16 Season)

You might want to double check Buford's height/weight.

Not that he played much, but CJ Cole is also a Departing Scholarship Senior

Thanks...great info.

Ive been one to question the strength of next years team due to % of scoring and rebounding leaving. The usual response is examples of years past where there was either the same or more departing. The next yr we did as well or better.

My question would be the minutes leaving vs minutes new players...were the new guys on the other teams more involved the season before...just a thought.

I do believe ou will win 20ish games...go to ncaa.

Not that he played much, but CJ Cole is also a Departing Scholarship Senior

True. C.J. Cole was on the team for 4 years and made many positive contributions to the success of the team.

No offense to C.J., but I used a cutoff of 100 minutes of playing time. C.J. played a total of 27 minutes during the entire 2015-16 season, and scored a total of 6 points.

Like C.J. Cole, senior walk-ons Austin Mankin and Daniel Harper were also fine student-athletes and wonderful teammates. They also made significant contributions to the success of the team.

Bola should be back next season also.

Last edited:

Thanks...great info.

Ive been one to question the strength of next years team due to % of scoring and rebounding leaving. The usual response is examples of years past where there was either the same or more departing. The next yr we did as well or better.

My question would be the minutes leaving vs minutes new players...were the new guys on the other teams more involved the season before...just a thought.

Yes this years freshman have not played near as much as Hield and Cousins did their freshman years: Buddy- 25 mpg & 7.8 ppg; Cousins 15 mpg & 2.7 ppg

However, they got to play in more games and games that meant even more... That's priceless experience. Plus we have a senior guard who is better than grooms was when he came back for his senior year in Woodard. Also, our recruiting class is a bit stronger. So, yeah, we are losing more in my opinion... Which means we will struggle next year. But I think our ceiling could be higher next year as far as tourney success. 20 wins seems very close to what I think will happen. I'd take the over though if I had to choose.

Thanks...great info.

You are welcome!

Regarding your question (bolded), does it realty matter? It would take quite a bit of research and effort to look-up and tabulate that historical information. Looking at the big picture, consider this:

• Seven players are coming back that have at least some experience playing big time basketball. Eight, if you count Austin Grandstaff.
  • The roster is talented, with a mixture of youth and experience.
  • There is quite a bit of athleticism, length and basketball talent on the roster.
  • Lon Kruger has proven to be someone that can put together a winning team.

The next season is an unknown. That is a big part of the fun. It will be so interesting to see:

• How much individual players improve?
  • How Coach Kruger uses his "pieces?" (Like a chess player.)
  • Which players win starting positions?
  • What will the newcomers contribute?
  • Does a young player emerge as the next star player?
  • Which one?

When I put together the list in the OP above, and think about it, I remain optimistic about the near-term and long-term future of OU basketball.

Last edited:

You are welcome!

Regarding your question (bolded), does it realty matter? It would take quite a bit of research and effort to look-up and tabulate that historical information. Looking at the big picture, consider this:

• Seven players are coming back that have at least some experience playing big time basketball. Eight, if you count Austin Grandstaff.
  • There is quite a bit of athleticism, length and basketball talent on the roster.

The next season is an unknown. That is a big part of the fun. It will be so interesting to see:

• Which one?

When I put together the list in the OP above, and think about it, I remain optimistic about the near-term and long-term future of OU basketball.

And i'll add to that.... How many different starting lineups will he roll out? I remember Buddy replacing someone mid-freshman year in the lineup. Other than that, his lineups stay pretty static...

And i'll add to that.... How many different starting lineups will he roll out? I remember Buddy replacing someone mid-freshman year in the lineup. Other than that, his lineups stay pretty static...

Barring injury, the only change I see is if Grandstaff is good enough to start when eligible. Kruger likes to keep it consistant

Barring injury, the only change I see is if Grandstaff is good enough to start when eligible. Kruger likes to keep it consistant

Alot of you guys seem to be really really high on Grandstaff, I didn't follow him at tOSU, whats makes everyone here so high on him?

Alot of you guys seem to be really really high on Grandstaff, I didn't follow him at tOSU, whats makes everyone here so high on him?
Recruiting rankings.

You are welcome!

• Which one?

lol, yup...didn't expect anyone to really look at that!

I totally agree that our roster def "seems" more athletic and better players than the past (as far as star rankings). It def will be an interesting year...I'm sure there will be some surprises.

He played as a freshman at OSU. That impresses me

Shooter deluxe. Can handle it. Good size (6-5). Decent athlete. Good passer. Good basketball IQ. Very skilled. Hand and glove fit with OU and Coach's system. Not sure about strength or ability to guard.

Okay cool thanks for the responses sounds/looks like he'll knock down his open looks...

Okay cool thanks for the responses sounds/looks like he'll knock down his open looks...

Check out Austin's highlight videos on the Prospects Board. He can score in a lot of ways. I especially like his stroke from the perimeter.

Back