Who was responsible for hiring Szendrei?

Whoever it is seems to have made a great call.

I doubt that Jeff would want Joe hiring anyone on his staff. Joe probably gives the OK but Jeff makes the call. The AD cannot micromanage his coach staff and keep the coaches happy. Remember it was Stoops call to hire Smitty.

Straight up! I was one who thought the hire was just a way to bring an ex-OU player back to the university, but this guy is a great hire. Not so much from the training aspect, because in reality, alot of the stregnth and condition guys have similar programs. But this guy relates to these players and has an unique way to motivate the players.

Based on everything I have ever read about Joe C., I would speculate he has virtually nothing to do with filling positions on the various coaching staffs other than the head coach. From top to bottom the coaches at OU routinely state Joe C is a great guy to work for. To me that means he is not micro managing the coaches.

From what I have seen so far, I am VERY impressed with Szendrei's work! I love his approach to the job, the way he motivates, gets along with the kids very well and his attitude is awesome!

Based on everything I have ever read about Joe C., I would speculate he has virtually nothing to do with filling positions on the various coaching staffs other than the head coach. From top to bottom the coaches at OU routinely state Joe C is a great guy to work for. To me that means he is not micro managing the coaches.

I agree.

I think the appeal of working for a guy like Joe C., is that he will stand up for you when the time comes, make sure you are well compensated for your work, provide you with great resources, then he will stand back and let you do your job.

Who wouldn't want to work for a boss like that?

I'm not saying I don't like the hire, but let's let the team get through a full season before trying to call it great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what? I'm not saying I don't like the hire, but dang, let's let the team get through a full season before trying to call it great.

Calm down TU.... its just in response to the Vids they put up on soonersports.com that show Sxendrei and the kids doing workouts.... They look pretty impressive to me.

People can, and do, make "snappy" judgments or w/e you want to call them. It happens.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I don't like the hire, but let's let the team get through a full season before trying to call it great.

That why I avoided making a declarative statement in my post, but it seems to be a great hire based on the information available in the workouts blog.

That why I avoided making a declarative statement in my post, but it seems to be a great hire based on the information available in the workouts blog.

Exactly what I thought when I read your first post. Thanks again!

I really like some of the agility drills he's doing with the team. Any team can always get better at moving their feet. The drills also seem to be very basketball oriented. From what I've seen it looks pretty good. Josef's passion for OU and this job will help him succeed. I like the hire. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Back