Why I would like to see 2 bigs and 3 guards in the tournament

Thanks S4L and Syb.

Maddie -effectively a freshman and coming back from serious injury - has been a joy to watch. There is just something about her style of play that attracts attention.

Many on our board excuse Vivi's inconsistency by saying "she is coming back from (one) injury" - and probably that is reasonable. But those same members seem to think Maddie should have been able to come in - after 2 years of such serious injuries - for her VERY FIRST year of play and become an All American.

That is just an unreasonable expectation.

Be patient. It reminds me of all the folks who dissed KK over and over. Sherri saw things some of our members were unable to see. Lately KK has been our most productive player. For heavens sake she made 2nd team All Big-12 - voted by the coaches.

Sherri sees similar things in Maddie that some of our members just have no vision for. Again. Be patient.

Good post. Maddie essentially didn't play competitive basketball for 2 years. She had some good times this year, showing us all the flashes of greatness many of us expected. But none of us know if Maddie's knee is fully healed. I expect not. Brian Brinkley stated on one of the radio broadcasts in January that she may not be fully healed until next season. I think we've seen enough of Maddie to know what she can be if she's fully healed and gets her confidence back. It's way to early to know how Maddie's story at OU is written. If she gets back to full strength and regains the confidence that I saw glimpses of the past couple of years, she will be a very special player! I'm not counting her out but also think it's way too early to determine how her career is going to play out.

Vivi is pretty much the same. She injured her knee just a year ago. I believe she was only fully released for practice a short time before practice officially began. She couldn't have possibly gone through the full conditioning drills required of the players all summer and early fall. I think she's she's gotten better, conditioning-wise, over the course of the season. I really thought she would redshirt this season. But again, just with the little I've seen, she will be much improved next year. I think she's going to be a strong rebounder and also a very good post defender. I also expect she'll be stronger going to the basket on offense. As Sherri stated at a luncheon earlier this year, the 3 post players all are a little different in what they offer on the court and we can see that. KayKay is really quick, and has good post moves around the basket. Vivi is strong rebounder and good defender. McKenna has a jumper that I think will prove valuable in the seasons ahead. KayKay has grown a lot this season as a junior and I fully expect the same of Vivi and McKenna in their soph/junior seasons.

In the past, I think very few ever recovered from ACL injuries, at least not to the original abilities. The techniques have improved, and it gives me hope.

When I saw Maddie prior to her two ACL injuries in the games in Hawaii, her talent was so obvious and at such a high level that I put her into the same group as Courtney, Stacy, and Danielle. She was a cut above everyone else. She could jump a little higher and a little quicker. She had a sixth sense about the game. She could turn the game in one minute, which she did against Arkansas. I thought she was such a great talent and had such versatility that she could take us to a national title. We would at least have the opportunity.

I was distraught over her injuries. I never really thought she would recover fully, especially after two. But, I have seen glimpses of the old Maddie, if only for a few seconds at a time. I don't know if it can happen all the time, or whether all we will get are glimpses. But, frankly, even a lesser Maddie would be a starter.

Against TCU, she showed some signs that she really had most of her abilities back. She could dive on the floor. She could block a shot on the run. She could leap at an instant and take someone's shot or pass out of the air when they shot it or passed it right in front of her. It required a good leap, and perfect timing. She had it. She did it three times on passes and twice on blocks. She beat Prince down the floor after a steal and blocked her shot, simply taking the ball out of the air a foot above where Prince had shot it---on the run. If she is still "crippled," those are very unique things to be able to do. It gave me hope.

In the past, I think very few ever recovered from ACL injuries, at least not to the original abilities. The techniques have improved, and it gives me hope.

When I saw Maddie prior to her two ACL injuries in the games in Hawaii, her talent was so obvious and at such a high level that I put her into the same group as Courtney, Stacy, and Danielle. She was a cut above everyone else. She could jump a little higher and a little quicker. She had a sixth sense about the game. She could turn the game in one minute, which she did against Arkansas. I thought she was such a great talent and had such versatility that she could take us to a national title. We would at least have the opportunity.

I was distraught over her injuries. I never really thought she would recover fully, especially after two. But, I have seen glimpses of the old Maddie, if only for a few seconds at a time. I don't know if it can happen all the time, or whether all we will get are glimpses. But, frankly, even a lesser Maddie would be a starter.

Against TCU, she showed some signs that she really had most of her abilities back. She could dive on the floor. She could block a shot on the run. She could leap at an instant and take someone's shot or pass out of the air when they shot it or passed it right in front of her. It required a good leap, and perfect timing. She had it. She did it three times on passes and twice on blocks. She beat Prince down the floor after a steal and blocked her shot, simply taking the ball out of the air a foot above where Prince had shot it---on the run. If she is still "crippled," those are very unique things to be able to do. It gave me hope.

Yes. I agree. Two good posts in a row. And I don't know that she'll be the next Stacy Dales- its not fair to Stacy or Maddie to say that yet. But glimpses of greatness means its there, and for myself, I'm not so sure its just been glimpses-ethier. I see some poor mental mistakes and real hesitation to shoot the ball, but I see a lot more great than not great. Especially athletically, which is a great, great sign. But Time will truly tell.

If you take away the injuries and reflect her season- then keep in mind that she is basically a freshman. I'd say theres some things to get excited about.

Last edited:
Just for the record, Stacey Dales suffered an ACL injury 2 minutes into her first game as a freshman. I'd say she came back pretty well. Erin Higgins also made a very successful recovery from 2 ACL injuries in 2 years.

Did Stacy ever recover her quickness. We really didn't see her before the injury. One of the criticisms of Erin was that she was slow from side to side on defense due to her knee injuries. I don't know that the criticism was valid. But, she wasn't as quick.

Did Stacy ever recover her quickness. We really didn't see her before the injury. One of the criticisms of Erin was that she was slow from side to side on defense due to her knee injuries. I don't know that the criticism was valid. But, she wasn't as quick.

I do think that Maddie has at least recovered 90-95% of her quickness. Earlier in the year I saw her get beat off the dribble once or twice. I never see that anymore- only way to get by her is if she is really shifting on a pass or something.

her main issue is hesitation and errant passes.

Some of the hesitation can be attributed to minutes, and some of the hesitation could be attributed to there maybe not being enough shots to go around?? Gioya gets her 10-15, Peyton gets 10-15, KK gets her 10 and Gabbi gets her 7-8. After that there just ain't much left... I feel for her cause she is always trying to make the right play, and gets left behind some times because she will not assert herself. When they call her number she usually comes thru, but thats not enough in this offense. You need to step up and attack, or you won't play. She needs to find way.

the errant passes are not alway her fault. Those that are, I feel are way more due to lack of experience.

Bottomline: If you can guard Nina Davis, your an athlete. Bar None. -- And I'm not sure, but did she shut Nina out the minutes she played?? She honestly might have. Lack of athleticism from her knees is not my worry. My worry is her finding a way to assert herself in this offense and thats about it.

Last edited:
I do think that Maddie has at least recovered 90-95% of her quickness. Earlier in the year I saw her get beat off the dribble once or twice. I never see that anymore- only way to get by her is if she is really shifting on a pass or something.

I "think" you are correct. But, I am still watching with anxiety.

her main issue is hesitation and errant passes.

Some of the hesitation can be attributed to minutes, and some of the hesitation could be attributed to there maybe not being enough shots to go around?? Gioya gets her 10-15, Peyton gets 10-15, KK gets her 10 and Gabbi gets her 7-8. After that there just ain't much left... I feel for her cause she is always trying to make the right play, and gets left behind some times because she will not assert herself. When they call her number she usually comes thru, but thats not enough in this offense. You need to step up and attack, or you won't play. She needs to find way.

the errant passes are not alway her fault. Those that are, I feel are way more due to lack of experience.

Bottomline: If you can guard Nina Davis, your an athlete. Bar None. -- And I'm not sure, but did she shut Nina out the minutes she played?? She honestly might have. Lack of athleticism from her knees is not my worry. My worry is her finding a way to assert herself in this offense and thats about it.

I watched Maddie play in the preseason scrimmage last year before she had her 2nd knee injury but after her first. During that little bit of play, she looked just like she did before the first injury. There was no hesitation. She was driving to the basket confidently, like she'd never experienced an ACL injury. There was no appearance of loss of quickness, drive or confidence. This year it was different. I'm not sure if it's physical (knee still bothering her, but she has no limp) or mental (having those 2 traumatic knee injuries in the back of your mind all the time) or a combination of both. I'm guessing it's a combination. We don't know if her playing time is adjusted based on how the knee is feeling during practice or not. The whorn game in Norman really looked as if she was completely in the game plan all along and not that she just felt good that week. That was probably the best overall game she's had this year. I think next year, we'll have 20/20 hindsight and be better able to determine what was going on with her this year. Although a junior academically, she's just now basically completing a full collegiate season of games (6 games her freshman season and 29 games this season to date) and she probably had very little practice during those offseasons.

Like Tango stated, Stacy had her ACL injury at the beginning of her freshman season and when she started the next year, as good as she was, she was nothing compared to her senior year that ended as a first team All-American. I'm not saying Maddie is Stacy but at this point, no one knows how far Maddie will advance in her recovery, of her knee and of her game.

Back