Why we won't get Pressey

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Some may disagree with me here, but after reading a recent update on Phil I just don't see him becoming a Sooner. Despite his lack of size, the guy is a big time PG that can come in and start for most majors. I just don't see him coming to Oklahoma when we have TMG as a true freshman this year. He is going to go somewhere where he has a legit chance to start at PG from day one (see Ohio State for example).

A guy like McCallum can come in and start as a combo guard (like Willie did last year) and still get big minutes, but Pressey and TMG on the court at the same time seems unlikely and, quite frankly, a real defensive liability (sounds like a Travis Ford move).

I would like to have him, but I think we have a much greater chance of landing Releford or McCallum. Releford is not up to the same level as Pressey, and would make a good back-up PG for a couple of years until he is an upperclassmen.

Just my thoughts.

The only thing that goes against your argument is the competition for Pressey has more viable pgs than OU does. Ohio State is the only team that doesn't. From an update a few weeks ago, it said Ohio State was on the outside looking in for Pressey and McCallum. That may have changed by now. Personally, I don't know, but OU can potentially groom TJ for that position if they can't get a pure PG. I would rather see that than settling for just someone that plays that position. Also, Miller and Releford are having very good summers.

Pressey is definetly not at the top of my list. I am hoping TMG will be a 4-year starter. Plus I'm not big on anybody that is that small. But thats just me.

I hope we get Cam Clark and a big guy to go with Taylor.

I've preferred McCallum all along, but I'll definitely take a player the caliber of Pressey.

I've preferred McCallum all along, but I'll definitely take a player the caliber of Pressey.

McCallum is my number 2 guy i want the most in this class... following Cam Clark... both are animals

McCallum is a tough get. So much competition for him.

I think McCallum goes to KU and Clark goes to OU.

I think McCallum goes to KU and Clark goes to OU.

Not if KU gets Joe Jackson. Something that is more likely with Pastner at Memphis and Kentucky in on a host of PGs.

Dont think we get either but we have a better shot at Pressey. Ill take who we can get, big or small as long as they can ball.

This is a problem I was concerned with when I first heard about Pressey.

If we don't get Pressey, it won't be because of TMG. Most teams alot of teams are two and three deep at PG where as OU is only one deep. TMG is a guy who shoots well enough to move over to the two for a small period of time and enable Pressey to play the one. Of his offers, Ohio State is the only place he comes in and starts from day one. OU may offer the most PT of any school outside of tOSU of his list.

Pressey is not going to live in the lane in college like he does in the High School and AAU circuit. However, a friend of mine in Dallas said he is twice the player of Jai Lucas, and that says alot, because Lucas is a good player.

Last edited:
Not if KU gets Joe Jackson. Something that is more likely with Pastner at Memphis and Kentucky in on a host of PGs.

I don't think KU gets Jackson unless things fall apart at Memphis (sanctions??). I think KU wants McCallum BADLY and are willing to wait. They don't need a PG desperately so they can waith on Ray. If they whiff on PG's this year they still have Taylor and Johnson manning the PG spot.

If we don't get Pressey, it won't be because of TMG. Most teams alot of teams are two and three deep at PG where as OU is only one deep. TMG is a guy who shoots well enough to move over to the two for a small period of time and enable Pressey to play the one. Of his offers, Ohio State is the only place he comes in and starts from day one. OU may offer the most PT of any school outside of tOSU of his list.

Pressey is not going to live in the lane in college like he does in the High School and AAU circuit. However, a friend of mine in Dallas said he is twice the player of Jai Lucas, and that says alot, because Lucas is a good player.[/QUOTE

I just don't see TMG playing extended minutes at the two with another guy under 5'9....

Are Pressey and McCallum really that high on our list/top priorty?
With TMG looking like a 4 year quailty player and TJ Taylor already on board do we really need to focus on a big time point guard? Especially another short one like Pressey who unless we want to become like the Pokes wouldn't see the court at the same time as TMG?
I just don't get reallly excited about these PG propsects with Tommy already on the team like I do for a Cam Clark, Luke Cothron, Tobi etc.

Pressey is not going to live in the lane in college like he does in the High School and AAU circuit. However, a friend of mine in Dallas said he is twice the player of Jai Lucas, and that says alot, because Lucas is a good player.

Pressey starts at Baylor from day one. I think that is where he ends up. AJ Walton probably becomes a good college PG for the Bears but Pressey is of a caliber like TMG where he will be a 4 year starter if he picks the right fit for him. He is Baylor's #1 and probably only target for the early signing period besides the two already committed- Bakari Turner and Perry Jones.

Pressey starts at Baylor from day one. I think that is where he ends up. AJ Walton probably becomes a good college PG for the Bears but Pressey is of a caliber like TMG where he will be a 4 year starter if he picks the right fit for him. He is Baylor's #1 and probably only target for the early signing period besides the two already committed- Bakari Turner and Perry Jones.

I agree. I don't think that Walton is/will be a very good player at all. Baylor is a decent option for him. I think Mizzou would give him a real chance to shine. If he doesn't end up in Norman, then I hope he is a Tiger.

The Bakari Turner early commit puzzles me. The reports that I have got back on him are not that positive. Maybe he will turn it around in college?

It would be baffling to me why he would want to go to a second rate program like that. Also, if you look at Nolan Dennis, his game is projected more as a PG than a SG. Baylor has so many number at the wing, the PG may be the Only place to fine Dennis PT. As far as Bakari Turner, he certainly puts up big numbers at Plano West, and they were jsut as good as Cedar Hill, Duncanville, and North Crowley. I think he might be a sleeper.

I agree. I don't think that Walton is/will be a very good player at all. Baylor is a decent option for him. I think Mizzou would give him a real chance to shine. If he doesn't end up in Norman, then I hope he is a Tiger.

The Bakari Turner early commit puzzles me. The reports that I have got back on him are not that positive. Maybe he will turn it around in college?

Bakari Turner is lifelong best friends with Perry Jones. He's got potential to be like the Roland kid at A&M- good defender. He has good size and athleticism and is a good student. That all said I don't think he is offered a scholarship if he wasn't so tight with Perry Jones.

Bakari Turner is lifelong best friends with Perry Jones. He's got potential to be like the Roland kid at A&M- good defender. He has good size and athleticism and is a good student. That all said I don't think he is offered a scholarship if he wasn't so tight with Perry Jones.

I didn't know that (regarding Perry). Thanks.

My prediction is that Baylor will get Ross-Miller. He is more in their league of talent imo....He and Walton will battle it out for starters minutes over the next few years.

Back