Will Henry contribute as a Freshman?

DenverSooner

Reaction score
Considering that Osby and M'Baye seem to be locks to start next season, Fitzgerald has proven his worth on the offensive end and will have a ton of experience and that Arent will have a year of experience at OU (plus two years of juco and a size advantage) can or will Henry contribute?

I'm sure we'll see him in the mix for some minutes to gain experience. Hard to keep his athletic ability off the court.

No team plays 13 guys, so a couple of guys are going to have to sit. I think Henry will probably be one of those guys. He might even redshirt. I don't see many minutes for him, and I think out of all the new guys, he'll have the longest adjustment period.

Reading the article linked in the other thread, he doesn't have the range to play the 3, most likely. Kid is going to have to play the 4, at least for a couple of years. He'll have to gain weight/strength to rebound effectively, regardless of his height. He won't play in front of Osby, Fitz, or M'Baye, and I'm guessing he won't play in front of Neal, initially. Some of those guys will also play the 5, and we still have Arent to play the 5 as well.

Last edited:
He will probably back up Osby. Mayby cam some. He will likey snag Tyler's minutes. We needed another tall guy.

I don't think M'Baye is a lock to start. He'll be competing for a starting spot over a 4-year starter and also over our (arguably) current best player.

I don't think M'Baye is a lock to start. He'll be competing for a starting spot over a 4-year starter and also over our (arguably) current best player.

Fitz? If M'baye is as good as advertised and Fitz doesn't pick it up, I could see Fitz coming of the bench. But I could be wrong.

m'baye WILL start. Go watch a practice if you dont think so!

m'baye WILL start. Go watch a practice if you dont think so!

I've been to a couple practices. I've seen how good M'baye is there. But it's incredibly hard to unseat a 4th year senior who has started for 3 seasons and been anywhere from solid to great during his entire tenure with the program.

I think Fitz will still start but see less minutes then he does now.

I've been to a couple practices. I've seen how good M'baye is there. But it's incredibly hard to unseat a 4th year senior who has started for 3 seasons and been anywhere from solid to great during his entire tenure with the program.

I think Fitz will still start but see less minutes then he does now.

Tenure has nothing to do with it. You play the best players if you want to win.

Gimper, I tell my kids "Im a equal opportunity employer" the best kids play Sr or Frosh!

Not every team starts their best five players. They start the five that play the best together, and not even that in some cases. I would see Fitz starting over M'Baye, but playing less minutes per game. I could also see M'Baye starting. Time will tell, but just b/c M'Baye is better, or should be better, doesn't guarantee him a starting spot. He'll play a ton though.

I don't think he redshirts. Simply because we have 6 scholarships available in one year and I am certain Kruger wants to get those more evenly distributed. If he comes in at semester like he is hoping he will have 8 months to get adjusted and in the weight room. IMHO

I don't think he redshirts either. Who is the last player to redshirt other than transfers or injuries. Detrick?

From the clips I've seen I think M'Baye starts. He looks like Osby on steriods.

I think Neal stays at wing. We have too many inside guys next year.

None of the seniors next year will have started for three seasons. Pledger and Fitzgerald did not start (most games) as freshman. They both played but came off the bench for the most part. The starters were WW, TMG, Crocker, Tinay Gallon and Cade Davis. All of those guys started at least 19 games. Ryan Wright started 13 games. Fitzgerald did start 11 games but I would not call him a starter given that 6 guys on his team started more games than him. Pledger only started 3 games as a freshman.

I don't think he redshirts either. Who is the last player to redshirt other than transfers or injuries. Detrick?

True. But when is the last time OU had 13 quality players on the roster? I'm not sure Kelvin, or Capel, ever did.

Newell leaving and Cole possibly getting his scholly, probably changes things for Henry. Cole is probably the one that might redshirt now. I'm just not a fan of burning a year of PT on a guy that is only playing 2 minutes per game.

True. But when is the last time OU had 13 quality players on the roster? I'm not sure Kelvin, or Capel, ever did.

Newell leaving and Cole possibly getting his scholly, probably changes things for Henry. Cole is probably the one that might redshirt now. I'm just not a fan of burning a year of PT on a guy that is only playing 2 minutes per game.

I agree particularly if the coaches think he is guy that can contribute in a signficant way later in his career. If Henry is a kid that can be a force in the Big XII but will only play 2-3 minutes a game, I would prefer to see him redshirt. I think he can learn almost as much in just practice as he would practicing and playing 2-3 minutes a game. Now if he will play 10 minutes a game, that is totally different. That means he is getting some real experience and helping the current team.

henry has a legit chance to be OU's 3rd post next season

To start the year, I see Osby, M'Baye, Fitz and Arent all ahead of him at the 4/5 spot. I can see Henry getting some playing time, but not a lot. This front court is losing two players that combine for 15 minutes a game and adding a starter caliber player in M'Baye. I see Osby and M'Baye starting with Fitz and Arent coming off the bench. Henry would be the third big off the bench, unless he can get ahead of 3 seniors and a junior as a true freshman.

Henry isn't going to come in and be good right off the bat, IMO. He is a text book example of a kid that probably will need a year to adjust. JMO.

To start the year, I see Osby, M'Baye, Fitz and Arent all ahead of him at the 4/5 spot. I can see Henry getting some playing time, but not a lot. This front court is losing two players that combine for 15 minutes a game and adding a starter caliber player in M'Baye. I see Osby and M'Baye starting with Fitz and Arent coming off the bench. Henry would be the third big off the bench, unless he can get ahead of 3 seniors and a junior as a true freshman.

Are you refering to CJ Washington and Honore? I want to see those guys succeed but honestly I hope Neal and Arent make it very difficult on those guys to get that many minutes. I would love to see OU return its top 3 or 4 forwards plus add M'baye and Henry because that will mean the team is better next year.

Back