Will Rickey Scott be "one who got away"?

Sooner23

Reaction score
Top 100 high school kid (#75 by Rivals) from the DFW area who wanted to be a Sooner. Even came up to our camp and worked for an offer. Instead, but Capel had his head in the clouds and held out Doron Lamb, Ray McCallum etc, and now we are combing the juco ranks.

Scott is going to Arkansas and just dropped 27 points on a pretty talented Duncanville team. Also, Julian Washburn is back for Duncanville and scored 13 in that game.

I know a few of the guys from OUHoops watched him this summer (big time and I think soonersam). So for you guys or whoever else that has seen him, I know hindsight is 20/20 but what did you think of Scott's game compared to T.J. Taylors?

Does anyone else get the feeling that we got cam and TJ (the guards we wanted) and the only other guards we were seriously going to target were top tier impact guys. I think our last scholarships go to bigs. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if we give a scholly to anyone guard who isn't better than Rickey Scott.

I think Capel is still learning the ropes as far as recruiting in this conference/region. Hopefully he can find his nitch soon. I love the fact that we can go get guys like WW, TMG, Tiny, CClark, but we also need to remember that our success over the past 15 years has been built somewhat on JUCOs and "diamond in the rough" type guys.

Top 100 high school kid (#75 by Rivals) from the DFW area who wanted to be a Sooner. Even came up to our camp and worked for an offer. Instead, but Capel had his head in the clouds and held out Doron Lamb, Ray McCallum etc, and now we are combing the juco ranks.

Scott is going to Arkansas and just dropped 27 points on a pretty talented Duncanville team. Also, Julian Washburn is back for Duncanville and scored 13 in that game.

I know a few of the guys from OUHoops watched him this summer (big time and I think soonersam). So for you guys or whoever else that has seen him, I know hindsight is 20/20 but what did you think of Scott's game compared to T.J. Taylors?

I saw him play once. I think he is a good player and will be a productive college player but not a difference maker. Could be an outstanding defender if he works hard at it. Donald Sloan at A&M is probably a good comparison but he doesn't have the ability to penetrate like Sloan does. Jumper is suspect. He overpowers guards at the high school level. Only seeing him once is probably unfair to generalize so much.

Do you have a source for the Duncanville versus MacArthur write-up? Would love to read about it.

By the way Sooners- congrats on the good win last night. Very gritty performance by TMG, Cade and company.

It was just a real brief blurb in the Scout "Around the Nation" premium article. Here is the link if you subscribe......

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/941495.html

Thanks- maybe Julian Washburn will help that Duncanville team. They have some really bad guard play. Jamison Sterns transferred out. They disallowed a transfer of Bakari Turner (Baylor signee). So they got stuck with some guys that really struggle at the guard position.

Let's be real for a minute and not worry about if he is All-American. I do not really want a team that does not have some blue collar guys on it. Yeah if we were Kansas or UNC I would expect it. We are not. I am just hoping that Cam and TJ come in and work their butts off. Can we find a Corey Brewer for next years class?

Ricky scott is a dimond in the ruff and he can pnertrate to the rim and finish and he can shoot,he is just not a camp guy nor is clark because they get their team involved and most camps is not based on that anymore.

I think Rickey is a less polished version of T.J. Both have similar styles but from what I've seen T.J. does it better than Rickey. Because of that I really am not sure given this teams current needs if a lesser version of T.J. Taylor is what they need or would have an impact next season. If Rickey was a true PG that could immediately step in as a back up PG and tall enough to also play with TMG off the ball I would love to have him.

I am not Capel so I can't say the real reason why he didn't make a bigger effort to sign Rickey but given current roster needs and the way recruiting has gone this season this would my guesses/assumptions/arm chair point guard talk/whatever you wish to call it.
Ray McCallum fit the need of a true back up Point Guard that could also play together with TMG without making our backcourt look like spawn Okie State (see Penn and Page, which is what K.C. Ross-Miller and TMG would be). McCallum was also skilled enough he would have had a chance to beat T.J./Pledger/Willis out at the 2 slot unlike Rickey Scott. Then Doron Lamb is a very talented guard that we had an "in" with in the form of Tiny and given Capel's recruiting style of going after the big fish it isn't surprising he went after him. Then the one juco guard we have heard a firm report on is a bigger one similar to the McCallum mold, but given as little as we really know on the current juco targets it is hard to speculate too much on Capel's current targets. Of course the rumors of Todd Mayo being a target kind of does blow a hole in my Rickey Scott doesn't fit in with other targets OU missed out on hypothesis. Rickey is most likely more polished then Todd, and given what little I know about Todd I would assume Rickey is a harder worker. As Rickey seems like a good kid willing to work hard with a similar talent level, although it is most likely unfair to Todd to have a negative view just because of some of his elder brother's issues. If we end up bringing in Todd to finish out our recruiting class or some other juco wild card who doesn't seem like an instant contributor I think the missing out of Rickey Scott will be noticeable and questioned.
Right now if you look at the options we have for our 3 guards slots, I am not sure unless we have an instant contributor coming in if we really need another.

PG. TMG/T.J. Taylor
SG Cade Davis/Steven Pledger
SF Cameron Clark/Ray Willis

That is a relatively young group (2 freshman, 2 sophomores, 1 junior and 1 senior) but it is the same amount of backcourt players we have this year. Also based on this year you already know you have two kids who can play 35+ minutes if we really have to. Of course some of this is a knee jerk reaction to Ray starting and giving some really solid time vs ISU, which gave me new hope for him to be a contributor. Also this is based on Pledger's three point shot being returned by those space jam aliens that stole it from him in Alaska ;). So unless there is a juco guard/wing who can really push Cade/Cameron for a starting line up spot, or be the number one option off the bench over two kids already on campus or a talented hard worker like T.J. I am not sure if another guard is really in the cards for recruiting. Of course as I look at it a juco PG similar to Omar, good fundamental guy, maybe a little taller than Omar though ;) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Really if we're playing the "what if/one who got away" game I would say Tobi Oyedeji over Rickey Scott. With the more present need for post players missing out on Tobi seems more harmful than Rickey at this point. I kind of believe Tobi was slow played somewhat similar to how Rickey as well so it seems to be a similar situation. Of course if we are able to pull in Ndiaye for CSI then that lessens the blow of this but really in hindsight a class of
SF Cameron Clark (top 30 kid)
Combo Guard T.J. Taylor (top 100 kid)
PF Tobi Oyedeji (top 100 kid)
C Aziz Ndiaye (quality juco)
SF/PF Terrance Jones (huge huge if, as I think it is a long shot at this point).

That class is actually pretty solid and fits the needs as we fill in the two perimeter players we lost (Willie and Crocker) and really bolsters our depth down low. Even if you remove the if of Terrance Jones from it, the class is still a good class and most likely top 20 in the nation.

Kind of rambled, but in one sentence. I do not think missing out on Rickey Scott is that big of deal given what we already have on the roster and committed.

Is it easier to get highly rated players because it's easy for them to get playing time with few upperclassmen to compete against. Or should he put 3 star players in the system and redshirt most. The team will have far fewer valleys like this season but would need a special player to elevate the team to final 4 type status?

I thinki when the evaluation went down, they look at Scott and Taylor and may have felt they were the same player, but Taylor was a little better. Taylor is a better shooter and that may have given him an edge. Scott is a power guard that personally I like. At the time i didn't think he could compete with what OU had on the roster and coming in at those wing positions. Now, seeing that OU has a deficiency on the defensive end, a nice, strong, athletic guard like him could help alot, Especially in practice.

I don't think the final chapter has been written on Scott. I don't see Pelphrey being their after the season is over.

I'd like someone to post a link to something that strongly suggests that he was OU's to sign if they wanted him. Sometimes I think this stuff can kind of get overblown...I'm just not so sure he was definitely gonna come to OU if he got an offer.

That said, I'd rather have T.J. then Scott anyway. If OU signs another guard in this class, you'd have to think it would be a back-up point guard. Ross-Miller is fine with me in that situation over Scott. T.J. nor Scott is a point guard, so I just think it was a numbers game.

I know a lot of people despair over Capel not signing Roberson a couple years back (another case of board members assuming he was just sitting around waiting for an OU offer), but I'd take A.J.'s last two years and TMG over whatever Roberson would have given us. That's just me.

Regardless, the near future for OU is in good shape and the factor on whether it will be just solid or close to elite is what we can get going in the frontcourt. I don't think we'll look at any of the teams OU puts on the floor over the next few years and wish we had a smallish combo guard with no shot.

I don't think the final chapter has been written on Scott. I don't see Pelphrey being their after the season is over.

Interesting. Do the Arkansas fans want him out?

I think we should get a kid like Ross-Miller if possible.

Doesn't matter what the fans think. He's losing badly. He's performing way worse than Heath. If that happens I wouldn't be suprised about Scott asking out of a LOI nor would i be suprised about a transfer from a certain 2g that would be a junior.

A lot of them do. And they want to replace him with Mike Anderson (not going to happen).

A couple people have called Scott a "diamond in the rough" in this thread. He's a top 100 recruit. Those aren't hidden gems. Those are guys most programs would LOVE to have.

Rickey's main issue is his lack of shooting. However, my philosophy is that it's easier to get an athletic guy to be a better shooter than a shooter to be a more athletic guy.

Most of what I wanted to say has been covered in this thread.

The bottom line is that TJ Taylor > Rickey Scott.

And while I would love to have them both, we have bigger needs for this recruiting class.

I was the one that said Scott was a dimond in the ruff because he was until this past summer i am a Ricy scott fan and this kid is tuff and whoever said that he cant shoot obvisouly never seen this kid play.Ricky,wanted to come to OU with TJ&Cam but Capel did not offer.Ricky and Tj played on the same AAu team Full court athletes before TJ changed to team texas,i would take scott,over miller anyday.Ricky is like Cam and TJ he can play any position and he is a better defender than Miller.I think Capel,needs to rethink offering Scott and reach out to him because he Scott wants to be a SOONER and CAM,TJ,andSCOTT played together at a tournament in Atlanta and they gel.

I was the one that said Scott was a dimond in the ruff because he was until this past summer i am a Ricy scott fan and this kid is tuff and whoever said that he cant shoot obvisouly never seen this kid play.Ricky,wanted to come to OU with TJ&Cam but Capel did not offer.Ricky and Tj played on the same AAu team Full court athletes before TJ changed to team texas,i would take scott,over miller anyday.Ricky is like Cam and TJ he can play any position and he is a better defender than Miller.I think Capel,needs to rethink offering Scott and reach out to him because he Scott wants to be a SOONER and CAM,TJ,andSCOTT played together at a tournament in Atlanta and they gel.

Aint nothin to it but to do it Chico. Here's the mission:

Chico: You get in Scott's ear. You let him know that he can still be a Sooner if things work out.

BT and Parker: Make Some nice Youtube videos of Ricky Scott dunks, 3pt makes, and blocked shots and send them to Capel pronto.

SoonerSam: You're in charge of the Ricky Scott Bobbleheads and cuts outs for the next home game.

Abd: We need all Ricky Scott statistics from the last two years.

Sooner23: Two words Photoshop/LNC

JessieW: Call Adam Zagoria. Let him know that Scott is for real

Capel's Mustache: You're comic relief

My Mission: Find any controversy on John Pelphrey whether it be NCAA violations or a sex scandal. The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard.

See you guys in two weeks.

Back