OU vs KU

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
I can't recall a recruiting year where we were going head to head with the chickenhawks for so many of our top guys like this year. Here is a list of recruits that both Self and Capel have offered, and that both schools are still in the running for:

Cameron Clark
Luke Cothron
Ray McCallum
Harrison Barnes
Terrence Jones
Julian Washburn
Doron Lamb

While I am not particularly thrilled with having to go up against KU for recruits (it is tough to compete with their history and fanbase), this really illustrates the new level of recruiting that Coach Capel has taken this program.

The good news for Sooner fans is that I think we have a great shot at landing a couple of these guys and having another top 10 recruiting year! :clap :jcapel

I can't recall a recruiting year where we were going head to head with the chickenhawks for so many of our top guys like this year. Here is a list of recruits that both Self and Capel have offered, and that both schools are still in the running for:

Cameron Clark
Luke Cothron
Ray McCallum
Harrison Barnes
Terrence Jones
Julian Washburn
Doron Lamb

While I am not particularly thrilled with having to go up against KU for recruits (it is tough to compete with their history and fanbase), this really illustrates the new level of recruiting that Coach Capel has taken this program.

The good news for Sooner fans is that I think we have a great shot at landing a couple of these guys and having another top 10 recruiting year! :clap :jcapel

Off that list I think OU can potentially get more guys than KU. I think OU has an advantage with Clark and Jones. In reality, some of these guys are second and third options for KU. Lamb, Washburn, Clark, and probably Jones. KU is in on Brandon Knight, a guy that I doubt they get. KU does have good shots at PF Adrien Payne, PG Joe Jackson, WG Roscoe Smith, and Josh Smith. On paper, OU has had classes very equal to KU the last two years. The difference has been OU has got top talents in Griffin and Warren, but KU has got more players who can give you production. I think this year, OU will trend more to having multiple contributors instead of just a top talent guy.

Off that list I think OU can potentially get more guys than KU. I think OU has an advantage with Clark and Jones. In reality, some of these guys are second and third options for KU. Lamb, Washburn, Clark, and probably Jones. KU is in on Brandon Knight, a guy that I doubt they get. KU does have good shots at PF Adrien Payne, PG Joe Jackson, WG Roscoe Smith, and Josh Smith. On paper, OU has had classes very equal to KU the last two years. The difference has been OU has got top talents in Griffin and Warren, but KU has got more players who can give you production. I think this year, OU will trend more to having multiple contributors instead of just a top talent guy.

I don't really know much about how many ships that the rug has to give for the 2010 class. I agree that some of those guys are KU's 2nd options, so that should help us out.

Also, a guy like Joe Jackson goint to KU helps our chances with McCallum.

BTW, UK bloggers are really starting to pump this notion that Calipari is building a special bond with Barnes. They obviously havent followed this kid and don't know how conservative he is about his future school, and how out of the box he is about choosing a school.

Last edited:

That's due to some degree to the caliber of players Coach Capel and his staff are in on now. Attracting the attention of high-profile recruits has been commonplace at KU over the years. But that has not been the case at OU. Something tells me this is just the beginning of the head to head competition for players between Capel and Self.

Joe Jackson isn't KU's priority at all, KU is recruiting him but most believe he is a lock for Memphis. McCallum is the priority and he knows it, I've even heard that if it weren't for his parents he might have committed to KU already.

Jones is wide open so I don't think you can say one school is ahead of another, KU is recruiting him hard and Bill Self is talking to him directly so I wouldn't say OU is ahead there.

Everyone that is anyone says that Barnes is basically a Duke, UNC, and KU race. He just feels like a Duke kid to me for some reason. I don't think KU gets him.

Cothron is a wildcard because he's an east coast kid. I think KU has a pretty good shot since he's coming for the Elite Camp and will get to see things up close. Typically with left coast kids getting a visit is the hardest thing.

With Clark everyone says that OU leads but Clark has never said it. OU is definitely the best situation for him in terms of playing time and a place to showcase himself right off the bat which sounds important to him.

I have no clue about Washburn or Lamb. From the KU site I rarely hear anything about Washburn but Lamb is saying he will visit.

The bottom line is Capel has increased OU's recruiting profile in a huge way. I think DM hit the nail on the head in that OU has been in step in terms of bringing top talent in but where the separation comes is that KU's 3rd through 5th recruits are still usually Top 50-75 guys whereas OU's have been fringe top 100 to 3 stars. If Capel starts bringing in Top 50 guys as his 3rd recruit and stays in the 4 star range for all of them then it will be amazing and OU will be looking at competing for Final Fours on a consistent basis.

We can all be thankful that McCallum has a brain. I think the kid will end up at Duke, as that has been the school that he has wanted to attend since he was young. The Dukies are in on a couple of other point guards right now, but when the chips fall I think it will be Duke.

I have heard that OU and KU are really about even right now.....TTFWIW.

That's funny because the last update I saw Duke hadn't even offered. Everything I've seen has KU leading but McCallum wide open if that makes sense. It sort of reminds me of Cameron Clark, most of those close to him say it's OU in the lead but he never comes out and says it.

I think OU is in a tough position having TMG at the PG position because McCallum is much more of a pure PG and will likely want to run the show. Again it's similar to OU vs KU for Clark, OU has a big advantage having a perfect spot for Clark to slide into a starting position right away.

Difference between Pressey and McCallum is McCallum is a day one starting PG and Pressey isnt. McCallum has a better chance of beating out Elijah Johnson and CJ Henry than TMG.

That's due to some degree to the caliber of players Coach Capel and his staff are in on now. Attracting the attention of high-profile recruits has been commonplace at KU over the years. But that has not been the case at OU. Something tells me this is just the beginning of the head to head competition for players between Capel and Self.

Totally agree. Capel has taken on a whole new philosophy in recruiting at OU and I love it. I love the fact he's not afraid to go after the top kids and he's proving he can get them. He's done it 3 years in a row and I think he'll continue to do it year after year.
I think it's pretty safe to say Capel's recruiting spiel to a kid won't ever be "don't go to X (insert your favorite Duke, UNC, KU, etc) because you aren't good enough, come to OU so you can play."
That mentality is no where in his mindset. Nor should it be. Coach Capel can get any kid in the country to come to OU.

Difference between Pressey and McCallum is McCallum is a day one starting PG and Pressey isnt. McCallum has a better chance of beating out Elijah Johnson and CJ Henry than TMG.

Totally agree, DM, and I don't think he would be as likely to play a combo role as someone like Elijah Johnson.

I realize that Duke hasn't offered yet....if/when they do, they will have a nice shot to land him.

I feel much more comfortable with both Ray and TMG starting in the same backcourt during the 2010 season, then TMG and Pressey.

Back