Willie Warren talks about next season at the Dallas Caravan

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Berry Tramel did a video interview yesterday with Willie at the OU Caravan in Dallas. The video link is below, but I went ahead and transcribed the interesting part where Willie talks about next year:

"We're going to be a different team this year. We're going to be a lot of run and gun playing more like Villanova and Memphis. That's something I've been a part of ... in high school we ran a lot. So I feel like I'll be able to handle the pressure. Coach Capel's giving me, putting the ball in my hands and giving me the opportunity to make plays for other players, and that's what I'm going to try to do."

You can watch the entire interview here:

http://www.newsok.com/multimedia/videos/26156693001

Berry Tramel did a video interview yesterday with Willie at the OU Caravan in Dallas. The video link is below, but I went ahead and transcribed the interesting part where Willie talks about next year:

"We're going to be a different team this year. We're going to be a lot of run and gun playing more like Villanova and Memphis. That's something I've been a part of ... in high school we ran a lot. So I feel like I'll be able to handle the pressure. Coach Capel's giving me, putting the ball in my hands and giving me the opportunity to make plays for other players, and that's what I'm going to try to do."

You can watch the entire interview here:

http://www.newsok.com/multimedia/videos/26156693001

If Willie makes this team his own and takes things personally on the defensive end, then he has a chance to have an excellent season.

Dominate, Willie! :willie922_jpg_xs:

Not sure we have the athletes/bodies/ball players to play the Memphis style.

Be interesting to see how the season plays out. You have to play to your strengths, once you figure out what they are.

Coach Capel's giving me, putting the ball in my hands and giving me the opportunity to make plays for other players, and that's what I'm going to try to do."

Willie starting at the point?

But what does TMG do? I'm sure he's serviceable as an off guard, but he's a facilitator by trade. I think I'd prefer the roles being reversed.

But what does TMG do? I'm sure he's serviceable as an off guard, but he's a facilitator by trade. I think I'd prefer the roles being reversed.

I think he will play some two guard. He really has become a deadly spot up shooter. He gets great elevation on his jumpshot.

I am hoping it will be like having two PGs out there and that that trend continues in the future with TMG and Ray/Pressey.

If you haven't seen TMG play then you would panic by this statement that Willie made, but don't. TMG will be fine if he has to play a little bit of the two guard for us. He can be very dangerous from the outside if his shot is falling. He also will be able to penetrate and kick or score from this position. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

No need to be alarmed by WW's statements. TMG will be the main pg when those two are in the game together. WW will just have the ball in his hands (ala Kobe, LeBron, etc) at the end of alot of shot clock shot clock situations, as well as being allowed to just go "make plays" within the offense. Don't read more into it than that.

:clap :eek:ldwt356:

We're going to be a lot of run and gun playing more like Villanova and Memphis.
:clap

The days of lallygagging the ball up the court are FINALLY over. If Jeff eliminates the rainbow pass, they should be ok.

I'll believe run and gun when I see it. You have to be able to REBOUND to run. So until I see someone not wearing #23 on his jersey grab every rebound in sight, I'll reserve my enthusiasm on this one. Not saying it can't be done with Wright, Allen, Tiny, Fitz, etc.. but we had trouble rebounding this year anytime BG wasn't in the game.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see us more uptempo, but WW saying it in May and it really happening is worlds apart.

I'll believe run and gun when I see it. You have to be able to REBOUND to run. So until I see someone not wearing #23 on his jersey grab every rebound in sight, I'll reserve my enthusiasm on this one. Not saying it can't be done with Wright, Allen, Tiny, Fitz, etc.. but we had trouble rebounding this year anytime BG wasn't in the game.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see us more uptempo, but WW saying it in May and it really happening is worlds apart.

Yep. We might have a better set of guards to run now, but I think we are missing the bigs. Blake, Taylor, and Patillo would have been the best three bigs at running, and they are gone. Tiny should be adequate, but after him, running isn't a strength of any of those guys. And as was said above, defense and rebounding plays as big a role in running as anything.

Good post. The truth is nobody knows at this point (including SoonerFanTU) until we see what the new guys bring to the table and how much the old guys have improved.

I hope we do run as much as possible. And I hope that possible means a lot with next year's team.

The next run-and-gun team Coach Capel puts on the court will be the first run-and-gun team Coach Capel's ever put on the court.

Could happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

One thing we can all be certain of is that Willie Warren likes to talk.
Who plays where and what style of play this team will take on is not anywhere close to being determined. This is just WW being WW.

Good post. The truth is nobody knows at this point (including SoonerFanTU) until we see what the new guys bring to the table and how much the old guys have improved.

I hope we do run as much as possible. And I hope that possible means a lot with next year's team.

This coming from a guy that thought we'd run a bunch this past year.

I never said it was a given that we wouldn't run like Memphis next year, I just said that it was my opinion, and I think the roster makeup supports that.

I think we will play a little more uptempo than last year but it won't resemble a run and gun either.

Not sure we have the athletes/bodies/ball players to play the Memphis style.

Be interesting to see how the season plays out. You have to play to your strengths, once you figure out what they are.

Why do you say that? I think this team will be as talented as virtually any team in the history of OU basketball. Losing Blake is a big loss but OU will have 3 McD AA, 5 more top 100 players, Orlondo Allen, Cade Davis and Hardrick. Kyle is probably the lowest rated player on the team. There have been many years in the past when a top 150 player would have been one of the higher rated players on the team. I really see this as a young team with a ton of talent.

If you haven't seen TMG play then you would panic by this statement that Willie made, but don't. TMG will be fine if he has to play a little bit of the two guard for us. He can be very dangerous from the outside if his shot is falling. He also will be able to penetrate and kick or score from this position. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap
You are correct, sir!

Why do you say that? I think this team will be as talented as virtually any team in the history of OU basketball. Losing Blake is a big loss but OU will have 3 McD AA, 5 more top 100 players, Orlondo Allen, Cade Davis and Hardrick. Kyle is probably the lowest rated player on the team. There have been many years in the past when a top 150 player would have been one of the higher rated players on the team. I really see this as a young team with a ton of talent.

What does being talented have to do with being setup to be a running team? Plenty of talented teams over the years haven't played the Memphis style.

All I said was that for every guy we have that might thrive in a more uptempo game (TMG, WW), we have several that will not (Crocker, Wright, Allen), and alot that we just don't know about. We do know that it won't be Tiny's strength, though he will probably be adequate.

So if you are starting only two guys out of your five that might excell at such a pace, why in the world would you run at THAT pace?

Answer: You wouldn't.

Back