WW defensive video.

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
I keep hearing how WW is so bad on defense. Could somebody please post video evidence of WW getting torched by an opposing player. I don't recall seeing anybody abuse WW defensively.

I debated making one yesterday but have decided not to do it. It takes me a long time to make highlight videos and I am not sure I want to get into the business of making "lowlight" videos of OU players.

I am pulling for him to snap out of it, but he has consistently given the least amount of effort on the defensive end all year long of any of the guards. He absolutely kills us in the zone because he doesn't run-out on shooters and covers way too small of an area compared to the other players at the top the zone.

Another area in which he has really hurt the team has been transition D. Whether it be from whining about a "missed" call or just dogging it.

You know that I usually don't get down on players, boca. I like Willie. I have defended him much of the last two years. But what he is doing on defense is killing this basketball team.

Last edited:
I suggest you make that video. Then there would actually be something to analyze instead of people just venting their opinions.

I have noticed Willie come back a little slow after getting knocked down a few times but nothing more than a couple times a game which is no big deal. I don't recall ever seeing him beat defensively by his man and if it is really happening would like to see it.

I think a video would be useless. One could go through game tapes, pick out good defense, and it would be like a highlight. Pick out all the worst defense and it would be an insult. Pick out the middle grade defense and it would show an average defender.

Defense isn't his only problem. How many times has he had a careless turnover with the score about tied? He has a number of problems, all of which could be nothing more than a lack of concern. As a point, I would rather have Quannas, both as a floor general and a defender. As a shooter, I would rather have Hollis. If he wants to be recognized among the better OU players, he needs to become serious about the intelligence of his game.

I keep hearing how WW is so bad on defense. Could somebody please post video evidence of WW getting torched by an opposing player. I don't recall seeing anybody abuse WW defensively.

That is just it.....he isn't getting "torched" any more than any of the other guards.

WW's bad defense criticism stems from not running out at shooters, not hustling back after missed shots/turnovers, and things like that. I know those things have happened, b/c I've seen them, and they've made me mad. And it's happened several times. It is the same type of stuff Blake did the first 1/2 of his frosh year. It stopped happening after that.

It's not that he's a bad defensive player or that he doesn't guard his man in a half-court set. He just doesn't run back on defense. Plain and simple. Not every time, but I've seen him do it about 3-4 times nearly every game this year. Especially when he turns it over or misses a shot.

It's not that he's a bad defensive player or that he doesn't guard his man in a half-court set. He just doesn't run back on defense. Plain and simple. Not every time, but I've seen him do it about 3-4 times nearly every game this year. Especially when he turns it over or misses a shot.

Does the guy he is supposed to be guarding score on those couple of times a game? I don't think so.

This appears to be the main complaint and to that I say SO WHAT? Until I see video I say all this WW nonsense is just disgruntled fans who live and die with a game being played by other people. I don't think there is any video of WW getting torched defensively.

The game of basketball is about scoring the basketball. You score enough to keep up with your opponent and get a few key stops at important times and you win the game.

Does the guy he is supposed to be guarding score on those couple of times a game? I don't think so.

This appears to be the main complaint and to that I say SO WHAT? Until I see video I say all this WW nonsense is just disgruntled fans who live and die with a game being played by other people. I don't think there is any video of WW getting torched defensively.

The game of basketball is about scoring the basketball. You score enough to keep up with your opponent and get a few key stops at important times and you win the game.

Wow.

Soooo... I guess I can officially put you on the ignore list then.

That clears that up!

Good defensive teams play defense as a team. It's not five guys shutting down their man. It's five guys collectively shutting down each option on the court. Just because there isn't video evidence of him getting torched one on one doesn't mean he's not hurting the defense.

Trying to outscore opponents and getting just a few key stops does not lead to winning basketball. It's a lazy approach that will get beat by good teams most of the time.

Good lord dude watch the games already. He refuses to play transition D or fight thru screens, WW has zero D want to. He plays the smallest area in a zone and doesn't play help D.

You are either related to him or don't have the opportunity to see the games. If you do see the games its clear you are not courtside like some of us.

Then it should easy to show me some video. I can show all of you that Cade Davis shoots the worst % of any starting player in the Big XII at 33.7%. Back up your Willie bashing. I watch the games on TV and other than him loafing back after getting knocked down I see nothing. and BTW every NBA player loafs back after getting knocked down 80% of the time.

Thanks Coach Flex.

Last edited:
Don Nelson posts on our little message board, we should feel quite honored.

I can promise you I don't "live and die with a game being played by other people". In fact I have my own sport I am involved in. I like BT has been defending WW all year but ANYONE can see his lack of effort this year and its not just on plays he gets knocked down. Its if he doesn't make a shot, doesn't get a call, turns the ball over, you see where I'm going? Watch the Gonzaga tape and you'll see it. There is plenty of video getting torched defensively. Then I find it concerning that you are basing Cade Davis, who is one of the hardest working players on the team, in fact he is probably the hardest working player with Crocker. If WW would show that type of effort then I don't think you would see the criticism of WW like you do now. For example, I've see Cade run down players on break aways SEVERAL times and get blocks, steals, or at the very least make the player earn the bucket by shooting FT's. I have never seen WW do this.

Your last quote concerns me and may be why you are a WW defender right now. You make it sound like basketball is an individual game.

Then it should easy to show me some video. I can show all of you that Cade Davis shoots the worst % of any starting player in the Big XII at 33.7%. Back up your Willie bashing. I watch the games on TV and other than him loafing back after getting knocked down I see nothing. and BTW every NBA player loafs back after getting knocked down 80% of the time.

This isn't the NBA, this is college basketball.

I am shocked that someone can see Willie play and not think his defensive effort is poor. I get tired of seeing little guards take him off the dribble. His help side defense is lacking. Either he is slower than I thought or he just doesn't put forth the effort he should on the ball.

Willie Warren played 33 minutes vs Gonzaga, most on the team. Cade Davis played 17 minutes, least of any starter. Cade Davis was the first guy pulled because he gave us nothing.

Cade Davis was the one jacking 3s vs UTEP when they went on that 17-0 run that decided the game.

You people are blind. You focus on something meaningless like a guy getting knocked down or hacked and looking at the ref instead of pulling his socks up to his knees and running back down the court like the spaz with no game.

Cade Davis has been the worst player on the court for OU the past 2 games. I saw it, Capel saw and anybody ho knows the game saw it. That's why Ray Willis was brought in from deep down the bench to replace Cade as Willie stayed in the game.

Back