04's Attempt: OU vs. Arkansas Recap

Sooner04

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: These thoughts are not from a professional. They are from an unabashed Sooner BBall fanatic whose glasses are tinted heavily crimson. I’m not a coach, I’m not an analyst, I’m just a fan who used to write and misses the task. My knowledge of the X’s and O’s of the sport is tenuous at best. My predictions often prove folly. I once fell hard for Ray Willis. But I do love my Sooners hoopsters, often much too much. Feel free to critique but, please, be gentle.

At what point do you begin to pull back the curtain and expose your tender, scarred heart? At what point do you allow yourself to believe we’ve got a pretty solid basketball team? True, neither Corliss Williamson nor Todd Day emerged from the tunnel with a pig on their shorts, but that doesn’t mean this wasn’t a solid D-1 program staring us in the face today.

At what point are you no longer branded a hopeless optimist, steadfastly pursuing only the most slender of silver linings? At what point can you say, “we’re pretty darn good,” and be confident knowing you won’t receive a raised eyebrow from those close and a hearty scoff from those distant? How many hurdles must this basketball team leap?

Because we saw a pretty solid performance against Oral Roberts, and we all were very complimentary of Cameron Clark and how patient he’d become. We all marveled at how he “let the game come to him”. Well, Cameron Clark was awful today, and we won by 15. We talked about how depth was emerging after the ORU victory, and how good a game C. J. Washington played. Well, C. J. Washington was atrocious today, and we won by 15.

Is it time to start re-drawing the boundaries of what we can expect? The whole team starts off slow, so Andrew Fitzgerald puts us on his back and carries us with 17 first-half points. We re-emerge from the locker room in the final stanza stagnant, but Steven Pledger alleviates the worries and carries the victory home with 19 second-half points. Arkansas was somewhat resistant, and several times 14-point margins dwindled to eight or nine, but Tyler Neal proved himself to be a modern-day Lee Harvey with several assassin-like shots from the faraway reaches of the building.

What do we do? These guys wear crimson and cream, so we should support them blindly. But it’s one thing to show up and it’s a whole other to actually believe. A month ago I wanted nothing more than to avoid embarrassment in Anaheim. Two nights later I’m crushed we brought home no hardware. Thursday afternoon we stared at a 48-hour gauntlet and I hoped we’d be up to the challenge. Here I sit at dusk on Saturday and we didn’t just climb the wall, we napalmed it.

To hell with Finals week. I want to play Houston tomorrow. Bring on the Cougars.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st: 24 [I’m turnin’ to stone,]
2nd: 13 [‘cause you ain’t comin’ home.]
3rd: 20 [Why you ain’t comin’ home,]
4th: 21 [When I’m turnin’ to stone?]

LEADING SCORERS:
Steven Pledger: 22
Tyler Neal: 18 [career high]
Andrew Fitzgerald: 17
Romero Osby: 10

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
Andrew Fitzgerald: 8
Romero Osby: 7
Tyler Neal: 5

PLUSES:
1. Tyler Neal: I give Tyler the nod only because his output was game-wide, whereas Pledger and Fitzgerald confined their maximum efforts to either side of halftime. Tyler was everywhere. From the corner, in the passing lane, crashing the glass: if a big play was made you could probably find the PC West product with a finger in the bowl of ingredients. And with an arc like that on his threes his number should be promptly changed to 33. No word yet on if he’ll attempt Larry Legend’s mustache. He also led the team in assists. Good grief, what a game!

2. Andrew Fitzgerald: In theory, Arkansas is a horrendous match-up for Fitz. Hands everywhere, pace quickened, up and down the floor; but Andrew’s first half was transcendent: 17 points and seven tough rebounds while warring with the big bodies down low. Kruger lamented the early second-half foul trouble because he wanted to see how Fitz finished the game but, lucky for us, there were others there to pick up the slack.

3. Steven Pledger: 19 second half points, and he was often the answer to several Razorback mini runs. Check the tape, and you’ll see that he was defended well, but he took advantage of closeouts by using the pump fake and dribbling inside the line for a shorter jumper. He had a stretch there in the second half where he basically lost his mind and became a turnover machine, but he fought through it and continued to put the ball in the hoop. He has come a long way. He’s so much tougher now.

4. Barry Honore: The guys down low needed some help late, and Honore was up to the challenge. You don’t expect Barry to supply ten solid minutes very often, but he has surprised us a few times this season. Three rebounds, a block and a bucket: not to mention some very good interior defense. I thought he bridged the gap for the interior, allowing us to withstand Fitzgerald’s foul trouble and Osby’s tired legs.

5. Free-throw Shooting: 18 of 23. I think we hit the front end of every one-and-one too. Deelish!

6. Shooting: Another night where we make more than we miss. Can it last? We sure look comfortable in the looks we get. That’s a sign of good coaching, those looks: Thanks, Lon!

7. Romero Osby: God, I can't believe I forgot this the first time. Hit his free throws, rebounded well, and an absolutely vicious dunk in the game's early stages. That boy is a MAN!

MINUSES:
1. Calvin Newell: Who?

2. Cameron Clark: Out of sync from the get-go. But we played our best (first half) while he was on the bench. I bet he’s miles better against Houston.

3. Casey Arent: I can’t wait for things to start going his way. He looks so befuddled out there.

4. C. J. Washington: If Oral Roberts was his tour-de-force then today was his Waterloo. Yikes!

5. Student Attendance: Good grief, what happened? When I was growing up the student section was a complete madhouse. The ones who WERE there today, though, were very good. Hope they brings a friend or two next time…..maybe 12.

I proudly wear the cap of unabashed optimist for the BBall team. It has cost me friendships, credibility and familial respect, but I care not. Hear me now: we’re pretty good. How good? Who knows, but I do know that we’ve got a cast of characters who seem willing to answer the bell when their number is called. I like seeing guys ride the wave, and I like seeing teammates who neglect getting “theirs” in hopes of slinging the ball back to the guy with the hot hand. When Fitz was hot early we were screening like mad to get him open for another jumper. When Neal hit a couple he was ready to let the next one fly as soon as it came his way.

Confidence is a beautiful thing. Houston, you may have a problem.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
You've captured the feelings of our fans so well this time. At what point are we willing to admit we might be good? I think we are close to that point.

Best one yet, IMO... Obviously 04 is getting deeper into his mid season form as well.:clap:clap:clap

I'm pretty sure I saw your hat on the jumbotron behind some Arkansas fans.

Also, not only was the student section not full but someone let two Arkansas fans sit there. Obnoxious.

04, saw u when they panned the crowd after the Osby dunk in the first half...grinning from ear to ear and dapper in the old school Padre hat...feels good to have a team u can believe in again and enjoy huh...

Hear me now: we’re pretty good. How good? Who knows, but I do know that we’ve got a cast of characters who seem willing to answer the bell when their number is called. I like seeing guys ride the wave, and I like seeing teammates who neglect getting “theirs” in hopes of slinging the ball back to the guy with the hot hand. When Fitz was hot early we were screening like mad to get him open for another jumper. When Neal hit a couple he was ready to let the next one fly as soon as it came his way.

Confidence is a beautiful thing. Houston, you may have a problem.

Thank you for your time.

Not sure how good this team is but it's getting harder for me to hold down my expectations.

Not thinking big dance yet, maybe with wins over Houston/Cincy will I think there's a chance, but NIT looks doable. That's a pretty big step from the past two seasons.

And next year looks to be even more fun. The future is indeed bright. Love me some Kruger and everything he stands for.

04, saw u when they panned the crowd after the Osby dunk in the first half...grinning from ear to ear and dapper in the old school Padre hat...feels good to have a team u can believe in again and enjoy huh...

You've been discovered!!! I always see the Padres hat

04, this may be your best effort so far, and that's saying a lot for a guy who writes one masterpiece after another in his postgame reports!

You could be right. Maybe it's time we gave this team their due and started to believe in these kids. I'm still not ready to sell out completely on a post season birth. But I'm getting closer with every game I watch.

Either way, though, I love this team's heart and determination!

Thx 04! Enjoyed as always.

Totally agree about the student section. I think we mark off seating location (Crimzone) and cost (student ticket cost $40) from the list of excuses as to why students don't show up. I think winning is the ony cure.

Still more improvement.

Great defense. Only 2 or 3 breakdowns plus a few gimmes at the end when we didn't want to foul. Kruger was complimentary to Neal on his defense. Guess he can guard wings after all. Maybe better help defense then even the Kelvin years. Wish the women would follow suit. hope Sherri picks up some defensive tips from Kruger.

Still struggling to avoid too high expectations. Hard to guage Arkansas because of their soft schedule but they played Connecticut tough but so did Coppen State.

Pledger has evolved from a shooter to a scorer. And his shooting has also improved. Another one that had a bad defense rap. Shoot, everyone played bad defense last year. Even Cade at times.

We have probably seen a passing of the guard. Honore playing more minutes than Arent. I still think Arent will come along.

Hopefully the guys won't start thinking that they are better than they really are.

Back