2 dogfights

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
OU has a unique blend of players that have a potential to log bigtime minutes. OU hasn't had this much collective talent on one team since the 2000 OU team. However, not everyone is going to see the court. Outside of Tony, WW, Tiny, TMG, and Ryan, minutes will be a flat out dogfight for. The backup wing spot (Ray, Cade and Pledger) and third post player(Orlando, Fitz, and Hardrick) spot will a highly contested battle. The candidates:

Backup Wing

Cade Davis: Pros: Cade is the most experienced out of the bunch. Cade is a poven scorer and probably has a leg up defensively on Ray and Pledger. Right now, Cade is a better Catch and shoot guy and probably the third best Catch and shoot player on the team. Cons: Cade is inconsistent. When his shot is not falling, it can affect his overall game. Cade also is one dimensionally offensively. He's effective at the catch and shoot, but he's not going to beat you on the dribble drive and he has no mid range game right now.

Ray Willis Pros: Upside. Willis is almost a 6'7 wing guard with outstanding offensive potential. He's long, a good leaper, long distance threat and has a mid range game. Cons: Unproven. We don't know if he's physical enough and we don't know if he's mature enough to handle this level of competition. His thin frame is a concern.

Steve Pledger: Pros: Energy. He's competitve and going to bring energy to the court. He has a high basketball IQ. He can do a little bit of everything. He can handle well, he has a decent mid range game, and he can shoot. He's a little shorter than the rest, but he's definetely tall enough for big12 comp. Cons Freshman. How quick will it learn for him to pick things up. Also, is he versatyle enough to play the 1.

OU will employ a 4 guard lineup which will help these guys get on the court.

Favorite: Cade Davis
First Opportunity: Ray Willis
Endo of the year Darkhorse: Pledge

The bigs

Orlando Allen: Pros Big O came along well at the end of the year last year. He showed that he started to understand things a little bit defensively. Big O is a guy that can dunk of the catch as good as anyone around. He has the body to eat up space and demand that someone guard him. Cons Defensive awareness, hands, and conditioning. Need I say more.

Andrew "Fitz" Fitzgerald: Pros Just a solid basketball player. Understands how to use his body, understands how to hit the boards, understands leverage, and has a soft touch. Cons Young. Is he physically mature enough to handle the post? Will he be able to defend hybrid post? Has his conditioning got to the level of what it needs to be?

Kyle "Too Hard" Hardrick: Pros Kyle's a kid that has a long ways to go, but has proven some things on the court that may translate into basketball on this level. Kyle has been a high end rebounder in the past, especially on the AAU circuit. Kyle is probably the best shot blocker of the bunch. Kyle understands how to play a role as he has been a role player for the last two years of his prep career. Cons Does he have it? Does he have the ability to play on this level? He has bad hands and for as thin as he is and as long as he is, he's not very athletic.

Favorite: Fitz
First Opportunity: Big O
Fight not to redshirt: Too Hard

Last edited:
I would add rebounding to the list of "concerns" for Orlando, I think he has the body for it but I don't think he has proven he can hit the boards right now. If Orlando was/turns into a good rebounding he would have a huge leg up on Fitz just based on his size and experience advantage but right now I think Fitz is a better "natural" rebounder.
I would also Fitz's wing span as an advantage for him plus unlike the other bigs he can step out and hit a mid range J.

I would add rebounding to the list of "concerns" for Orlando, I think he has the body for it but I don't think he has proven he can hit the boards right now. If Orlando was/turns into a good rebounding he would have a huge leg up on Fitz just based on his size and experience advantage but right now I think Fitz is a better "natural" rebounder.
I would also Fitz's wing span as an advantage for him plus unlike the other bigs he can step out and hit a mid range J.

I could have picked on Orlando all day, but I really want to give him a chance. My new signature seemed to be a message taylor made for big o.

Nice analysis, DM! I don't have much to add, but I'll put in my two cents just for fun.

Guard/Wings

I think Cade will be in the driver's seat when the season starts due to his experience, as you correctly pointed out. The question is can he stay there with two talented youngsters breathing down his neck?

If Ray dedicates himself to working hard, doing the right things on and off the court, focuses on improving his defense and playing within the offense, it might be tough to keep him on the bench. I'm hoping he will do all of those things and more, because he can really help us this year. Obviously, he has to prove himself to everyone, especially his teammates and coaches.

But, to me, Pledger has the best chance of unseating Cade, due to his versatility and his reputation of being a great (and well deserved, I might add) perimeter shooter. He has good handles, he's a more than adequate passer and he's capable of creating his own shot off the dribble and finishing inside, if he gets an open lane. That's something we did not see Cade do much last year, and I believe that will give Steven an advantage.

That said, knowing Cade and how hard he works, I'm betting he spent the summer working on improving his weaknesses, so I'm definitely not going to count him out just yet. In the final analysis, however, I think defense may be the deciding factor in the guard/wing competition.

Post Position

As for the bigs, I have said all along that Fitz will be my choice to start opposite Tiny. I don't think he will be there to start the season, but I will not be at all surprised to see him take over that spot or get starter-like minutes by the early in the conference portion of our season.

Andrew can score from seventeen feet and in. But, his tough, hard-nosed approach to the game and his ability to rebound, play defense and fight for loose balls may give him a leg up on the other two, because we'll need rebounding and good defense more than points from that position. Keep in mind, however, I haven't seen Wright or Allen since last year, and judging by everything we have been hearing, both have improved.

However, not everyone is going to see the court. Outside of Tony, WW, Tiny, TMG, and Ryan, minutes will be a flat out dogfight for.

Not sure at this time I would add Ryan into this mix... we do need him to step it up though.

Not sure at this time I would add Ryan into this mix... we do need him to step it up though.

Ryan will play. He may not be a starter and Allen or Fitz may get minutes, ubt he'll be in the rotation and start at the beginning.

If OU gets Lamb and Jones, that makes these battles much more hightened, because then it's not a battle of PT, but one of scholarships.

If we do end up getting lamb, I think you may see willis transfering....Willis is a great talent and I have always been on his bandwagon but not sure he could beat out the likes of lamb, tmg, or clark....then you would have pledger and tj prob coming off the bench of front of him

As far as any of the posts transfering I really dont see that happening...big O is to far along prob to transfer and hardick/honore knew they wouldnt be getting much playing time

If we do end up getting lamb, I think you may see willis transfering....Willis is a great talent and I have always been on his bandwagon but not sure he could beat out the likes of lamb, tmg, or clark....then you would have pledger and tj prob coming off the bench of front of him

As far as any of the posts transfering I really dont see that happening...big O is to far along prob to transfer and hardick/honore knew they wouldnt be getting much playing time

You're not the first to speculate on Willis, but he stuck around after seeming homesick, having police trouble and fought to earn his way out of the Capel's doghouse. Why transfer now? Especially if Capel shows he is willing to play 4 guards to get talent on the floor. In a four guard line up Willis would be an ideal three because of his length. For that matter I think a lot of people underrate Willis's ability. Once he finds a way to fit himself into our offense without just taking shots, he will see the floor.

You're not the first to speculate on Willis, but he stuck around after seeming homesick, having police trouble and fought to earn his way out of the Capel's doghouse. Why transfer now? Especially if Capel shows he is willing to play 4 guards to get talent on the floor. In a four guard line up Willis would be an ideal three because of his length. For that matter I think a lot of people underrate Willis's ability. Once he finds a way to fit himself into our offense without just taking shots, he will see the floor.

I am not one that is underrating his talent...I think he will be a better option than most off the bench this year....I am thinking in terms of next year if lamb comes in...I dont see alot of playing time available next year....pledger should be hitting his threes so he will see the floor

Didn't Orlando take minutes from Ryan at the end of last year? That was certainly my perception.

Back